Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to start new job 4 months pregnant **MOD warning 1st post**

Options
  • 07-11-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Title says it all really - I am due to start a new job on Monday and I'm currently 4 months pregnant. I had my interview 3 weeks ago where I didn't tell the person interviewing me that I'm pregnant as this job is a huge opportunity for me and I didn't want to reduce my chances of getting it. What I'm looking for advice on is when should I mention it? Day one? After 2 weeks so I've hopefully proved myself a little? It's a reasonably big company, although the team I'll be working on is quite small. Hopefully I'll be working for 4.5 months, then taking 8.5 months off, then back to work full time. I do see a future with this company so in the long term am hoping this won't hold me back too much

//MOD

Right; I've gone through the thread and to call it a train wreck is putting it mildly. First of all there are very clear laws and regulations for pregnancy at work and they are among the most iron tight laws out there; if you wish to discuss if they are correct or how to be implemented I recommend the Legal Discussion forum and if you are a people manager it's strongly recommended you get up to date on them. Secondly there's been a huge off thread discussion about who to hire, when to hire and how to hire which is not relating to the OP. Hence going forward if there's any post that's not helping OP it will be deleted and the user will receive an infraction; that includes replies stating it's not ethically/morally right/wrong etc. Help OP handle the situation the best way she can with her new employer or don't post in the thread. What's happened has happened; help the OP deal with it.

Nody

//MOD

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is this a permanent job??

Would you not have just gone for a temporary 3/4 month contract?

It just seems totally unfair to me that a company has hired you and in 4 months you are going to head off for 8.5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

amdublin wrote: »
    Is this a permanent job??

Would you not have just gone for a temporary 3/4 month contract?

It just seems totally unfair to me that a company has hired you and in 4 months you are going to head off for 8.5 months.

People get pregnant all the time. It's a fact of life.

Congrats OP. You can't be discriminated against because you are pregnant, however you can be let go during a probationary period without reason. It may be best to be straight with them and work hard to make yourself indispensible. Any employer worth it's salt would be mad to get rid of a good employee over a bit of maternity leave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Completely agree with your points Stimpson.

But there is a difference between "a bit of maternity leave" when compared to employee in for 4 months, and then going off for 8
    (i.e. existing staff member compared to new)

OP - Stimpson makes good points. Work your socks off and make sure they are happy with you and no issues during your probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Any employee worth their salt would have told a prospective employer that she was four months pregnant before this. It may be that legally the employer has no option but to continue with your employment but morally your behaviour is questionable and certainly will not impress any employer no matter how brilliant your performance at work

Legally the employer cannot discriminate due to pregnancy. They are not even allowed to ask if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant in an interview. And let's not bring morality into it. It's just business after all.

In fairness the OP may not have known at the interview stage so the employer has no right to be upset.

My missus was waiting 3 months to hear about a job and discovered she was pregnant in the meantime. She ended up turning down the job, but she had no moral or legal obligation to do so.

• Advertisement

Op states she didn't tell at interview indicating she knew.

Completely different scenario in your wife's case.

Op states she didn't tell at interview indicating she knew.

Completely different scenario in your wife's case.

Sure, but the employer doesn't know that.

Simpson - obv she can't be discriminated against. But in practice very hard to shake off that memory in work " ah yes that's your wun who never told us and then headed off after being trained up".

Morally (sorry!) It doesn't make the op look very honest or upfront or trustworthy.

stimpson wrote: »
    Sure, but the employer doesn't know that.

True. She can always lie (:cool:) "I've just found out/I've didn't know"

I personally think it was unfair of op to go for this position.

Legally the employer cannot discriminate due to pregnancy. They are not even allowed to ask if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant in an interview. And let's not bring morality into it. It's just business after all.

In fairness the OP may not have known at the interview stage so the employer has no right to be upset.

My missus was waiting 3 months to hear about a job and discovered she was pregnant in the meantime. She ended up turning down the job, but she had no moral or legal obligation to do so.

She was interviewed three weeks ago and she knew well and decided not to mention it. Don't get your point about morality having nothing to do with it. Are you suggesting there is no need for morality in business. If so I take it that you mean for the employee, not otherwise.
    As an employer with a small business I would personally feel I had been taken advantage of if somebody did this to me and several of my staff are mums and have had maternity leave and we have all worked in with it happily. My colleagues are entitled to consideration from me but it works both ways.
    Have discussed it here this morning with one of my colleagues who wonders how this person would feel if she were an employer and someone did it to her. And she has four children, two since she came to us.

• Advertisement

Yeah, well its just business. I've been screwed over by employers many times. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I've been screwed by employees too but I haven't allowed the experiences to sour me or to change my attitudes towards my colleagues.
    You get out of life what you put into it in my experience and that philosophy works equally well in the workplace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

True. She can always lie (:cool:) "I've just found out/I've didn't know"

I personally think it was unfair of op to go for this position.

Unfair on who? The employer thinks she's the best person for the job. Of course the employer is aware she could get pregnant and still hired her. It's likely to be inconvenient, but so is any employee's absence due to pregnancy/ilness.

The OP has potentially years of service to give to the company.

As to the OP's question... it's best to tell them as soon as possible for health and safety reasons.

Congrats on the new job and impending motherhood. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Really bad form. Wonder what the probation period is for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Kathnora

I was in a work situation a few years back where that happened. The job on offer was only for 6 months and the employee could only work for 3 as she was going on maternity leave. The boss was female and the one thing that annoyed her much more than the inconvenience of the maternity leave was the fact that the employee didn't tell her she was pregnant. Relations were "cool" but polite after that. Now, if the woman had revealed her pregnancy would she have got the job?? Well................

Really bad form. Wonder what the probation period is for the OP

The same for anyone else.

smcgiff wrote: »

I've been in jobs that had been 6 months or 9 months. No need to be so smart

Paulownia wrote: »
    I've been screwed by employees too but I haven't allowed the experiences to sour me or to change my attitudes towards my colleagues.
    You get out of life what you put into it in my experience and that philosophy works equally well in the workplace

Are you saying that you are completely honest in all your business dealings? You have never lied for the good of your business?

Kathnora wrote: »
    I was in a work situation a few years back where that happened. The job on offer was only for 6 months and the employee could only work for 3 as she was going on maternity leave. The boss was female and the one thing that annoyed her much more than the inconvenience of the maternity leave was the fact that the employee didn't tell her she was pregnant. Relations were "cool" but polite after that. Now, if the woman had revealed her pregnancy would she have got the job?? Well................

If you apply for a temporary job for six months knowing you only intend to work for three of them and don't tell your potential employer don't expect anything more than cool when the employer discovers the deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

What is the maternity policy, do you just claim the social welfare allowance or will the employer be paying you at full paywhile on maternity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Yeah, well its just business. I've been screwed over by employers many times. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

But there is a difference between legality and whats morally right. Yes legally you are entitled to your job if you get pregnant. But is it morally right to your employer to have to basically find someone new for exact same job in 4 months?When you knew you were pregnant from the start.

OP I would have told the employer that you are pregnant and reapply in 18 months thing. I can easily see the employer distrusting you and they have a reason to. I can imagine you will not be considered for promotion in the future because of basically misleading them now.

I've been in jobs that had been 6 months or 9 months. No need to be so smart

Not being smart, it's 12 months if it needs to be enforced.

Do people think it's morally right for an employer to refuse to hire someone because they're pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Presumably the employer will need to replace the OP for the maternity leave, probably be easier to find a replacement early on and just get rid of the OP during probation period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

smcgiff wrote: »

They can vary.

Do people think it's morally right for an employer to refuse to hire someone because they're pregnant?

Yes, to be honest. If its a temporary job, I don't think hiring someone for 4 months and having to find another person again straight after is fair. If I was hiring a person, I'd hire someone who I thought was going to see out their contract. Not someone who was going to bail in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yes if the person is going to cost the company considerably more than other staff doing the same job.

Saipanne wrote: »
    They can vary.

If your contract says 3, 6, 9 months, whatever it's really only an internal review. You can be let go within a year without any consequences for the employer.

With the exception of discrimination reasons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah mine was 6

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Yes if the person is going to cost the company considerably more than other staff doing the same job.

Would you support an employer refusing to hire a disabled person if it meant it would cost them more?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement