Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanic crashed car, has no garage insurance.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Hachiko wrote: »
    tbh, from what i read i would not trust him to make a slice of toast.

Any idea how often mechanics crash customers cars during "test drives"?:) Rather a lot, as it happens. Often pretty pricey cars too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

OTH wrote: »
    I think you're all jumping the gun a bit. It's normal practice for mechanics to take cars out for a test drive before returning them to the customer. If the crash only happened yesterday the car has probably not been checked out fully yet. How do you know the crash wasn't caused by a fault in the car??If it's an import it's either from Japan or UK. Do you know the complete history of the car. It could have a dodgy past. Maybe your father in law got sold a bummer!!
    No insurance, public road.
    Thick or scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

OTH wrote: »
    I think you're all jumping the gun a bit. It's normal practice for mechanics to take cars out for a test drive before returning them to the customer. If the crash only happened yesterday the car has probably not been checked out fully yet. How do you know the crash wasn't caused by a fault in the car??If it's an import it's either from Japan or UK. Do you know the complete history of the car. It could have a dodgy past. Maybe your father in law got sold a bummer!!

1st post, eh. Read the Op's post. The mechanic was taking the car to collect 'some part' that was needed (apparently), not taking it for a test drive.
    Obviously the mechanic could have taken his own car, but the MX-5 probably seemed like a better idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    1st post, eh. Read the Op's post. The mechanic was taking the car to collect 'some part' that was needed (apparently), not taking it for a test drive.
    Obviously the mechanic could have taken his own car, but the MX-5 probably seemed like a better idea ;)

If the mechanic has his own car and has driving other cars on his policy - would he be covered to drive the OP's car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Any idea how often mechanics crash customers cars during "test drives"?:) Rather a lot, as it happens. Often pretty pricey cars too.
    I saw a co-worker back in 2001 crash a brand new, as in cling film on the bumpers and plastic on the seats new BMW 530d into a truck in reverse, doing 7k worth of damage. :eek:

• Advertisement

puss wrote: »
    If the mechanic has his own car and has driving other cars on his policy - would he be covered to drive the OP's car?

Not really what I was getting at.
    It would depend on the wording of his policy....but almost certainly would not cover any damage to the car he was driving.

edit; assuming you're referring to a personal policy rather than trade insurance of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Is the garage reputable or is it a bank street version?
    The motor trade have to have insurance so when he says he wasn't insured have you checked with the garage itself.
    Is it a member of SIMI?
    As already said, the FIL insurance will cover the damaged other party but the FIL may pay for it with higher premiums in the future.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Is the garage reputable or is it a bank street version?
    The motor trade have to have insurance so when he says he wasn't insured have you checked with the garage itself.
    Is it a member of SIMI?
    As already said, the FIL insurance will cover the damaged other party but the FIL may pay for it with higher premiums in the future.

Why SIMI, just WHY ????
    Unless you're a spokesperson for them, then why even mention them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Not really what I was getting at.
    It would depend on the wording of his policy....but almost certainly would not cover any damage to the car he was driving.

edit; assuming you're referring to a personal policy rather than trade insurance of some sort.

Yes his personal policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

hogeybear wrote: »
    Today, my father in law dropped his newly imported car ( 91 mazda eunos roadster) off at a garage for some work to be done, small stuff like pre nct checks. apparently he needed a part so he took the car out on to a public road,without permission, and promptly crashed into another car. He told my father that he has no garage insurance. Who is liable here? Understandably, the issue of the other car isn't a problem as that will be covered under my father in laws insurance, but what about the damage to the mazda?

wut the actual F?
    Dont know how or why you think or assume that, isnt that what MIBI are for? the driver had no insurance, what was the job to be done? Why did the mechanic take the car to get a part?? and as such not a test drive, not really the same.
    Sounds like he thought it was nice, took it for a burn and crashed it.
    Id be seeking legal advice, Gardai and contact insurance.

Next, as someone alse said, maybe garage does have insurance, but doesnt want to affect it. why should your fathers policy and NCB be affected??
    hogeybear wrote: »
    I know but what are the alternatives? Certainly wouldn't want the other car to get duped by the garage too.

At the moment, while sympathetic to them, thats not your fathers fault or problem, thats the mechanics fault and problem.
    I suppose its a genuine crash and not some scam???
    Chimaera wrote: »
    The Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland maintains a fund to cover claims against uninsured drivers. If the worst comes to the worst, this is where the cost of the damage will be covered, to the third party at least. Your father is probably within his rights to sue the mechanic for damages if he can't cover them by other means. It's time to talk to a solicitor I think.

absolutely

• Advertisement

cerastes wrote: »
    wut the actual F?
    Dont know how or why you think or assume that, isnt that what MIBI are for? the driver had no insurance, what was the job to be done?
    At the moment, while sympathetic to them, thats not your fathers fault or problem, thats the mechanics fault and problem.
    I suppose its a genuine crash and not some scam???

absolutely

Have a google at a recent UK case - lad sells bike, all legit, doesn't cancel insurance though...new owner crashes bike ten days ish later and dies in the crash, causing a lot of harm in the process..new owner had no licence/insurance...the original owners policy paid out to all involved and the original owner gets prosecuted for allowing an unlicenced/uninsured driver ride his bike....despite the legitimate sale of the bike....

That's a game changer as far as insurance goes, literally. In this case, that has implications for the FIL...and all the rest of us too. Cancel your insurance the minute you sell a vehicle, that's todays top tip from me. :) And make sure your mechanic has garage insurance..the hints in the name..this has also bankrupted the original owner of the bike. House, the lot, gone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Have a google at a recent UK case - lad sells bike, all legit, doesn't cancel insurance though...new owner crashes bike ten days ish later and dies in the crash, causing a lot of harm in the process..new owner had no licence/insurance...the original owners policy paid out to all involved and the original owner gets prosecuted for allowing an unlicenced/uninsured driver ride his bike....despite the legitimate sale of the bike....

That's a game changer as far as insurance goes, literally. In this case, that has implications for the FIL...and all the rest of us too. Cancel your insurance the minute you sell a vehicle, that's todays top tip from me. :)And make sure your mechanic has garage insurance..the hints in the name..this has also bankrupted the original owner of the bike. House, the lot, gone..

And are they going to provide a cert, on the wall of the premises?
    I agree, but how many times does this occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

keep us posted the outcome will be interesting , surely the mechanic ( DONT POST NAME OR LOCATION ) will pay for the car damage out of hand and replacement of both cars if he wants to keep his business , tricky one alright ...

And are they going to provide a cert, on the wall of the premises?
    I agree, but how many times does this occur?

Ask. Simple as. Might root a few cowboys out on their ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

puss wrote: »

Once you mention that you are working in the trade it's nearly impossible to get the 3rd party extension for driving other cars. And even if they had it it doesn't cover the car they are driving.
    wut the actual F?
    Dont know how or why you think or assume that, isnt that what MIBI are for? the driver had no insurance, what was the job to be done? Why did the mechanic take the car to get a part?? and as such not a test drive, not really the same.

There was a story a while ago of where a person had their car stolen and someone successfully claimed against their policy after the thief crashed the car. The fact that the mechanic was handed the keys could also be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Del2005 wrote:
    What job, apart from changing a bulb, doesn't require a test drive after to verify that the issue has been resolved?

Means nothing, assuming something gives you no legal status, same as OP assuming the mechanic was insured to do the work in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That's a game changer as far as insurance goes, literally. In this case, that has implications for the FIL...and all the rest of us too. Cancel your insurance the minute you sell a vehicle, that's todays top tip from me. :) And make sure your mechanic has garage insurance..the hints in the name..this has also bankrupted the original owner of the bike. House, the lot, gone..

Very interesting.
    Last time I sold a car private, I contacted AXA to tell them that I no longer owned the car and that I would be getting a new car the following week.
    You would think it was the strangest request ever. AXA said that there's nothing for them to do, just leave it run until I gave them new car details. I said I was not particularly happy with that as I no longer owned the car and was no longer responsible for it. The woman on the phone said all she could do was cancel my policy but I would then lose the bonus built up for that year.
    In the end, she went away and came back saying she could put a note on my file stating car was now sold. This is what was done in the end but you would swear it was a situation that never cropped up before. Are people not contacting their insurers when they sell cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mickdw wrote: »
    Very interesting.
    Last time I sold a car private, I contacted AXA to tell them that I no longer owned the car and that I would be getting a new car the following week.
    You would think it was the strangest request ever. AXA said that there's nothing for them to do, just leave it run until I gave them new car details. I said I was not particularly happy with that as I no longer owned the car and was no longer responsible for it. The woman on the phone said all she could do was cancel my policy but I would then lose the bonus built up for that year.
    In the end, she went away and came back saying she could put a note on my file stating car was now sold. This is what was done in the end but you would swear it was a situation that never cropped up before. Are people not contacting their insurers when they sell cars?

Strange practice alright. When I sold a car privately and didn't buy a replacement for a few weeks I told my insurance company and they then put my policy temporarily on hold until I transferred it to the new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

mickdw wrote: »
    Very interesting.

When you sell your car and don't have an immediate replacement, the insurer would be right in cancelling the policy, as the subject matter of the policy (the car) is no longer in your possession. If the time lag between the old and the new car is only a week, they should have offered to suspend cover (credit on the premium is not given for less than 30 days suspension).

The problem for insurers is that a week to get your new vehicle can turn into 2 weeks and then 3 etc. and you cannot maintain an insurance policy where you don't own a vehicle

Advertisement