Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanic crashed car, has no garage insurance.

Options
  • 07-11-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Today, my father in law dropped his newly imported car ( 91 mazda eunos roadster) off at a garage for some work to be done, small stuff like pre nct checks. apparently he needed a part so he took the car out on to a public road,without permission, and promptly crashed into another car. He told my father that he has no garage insurance. Who is liable here? Understandably, the issue of the other car isn't a problem as that will be covered under my father in laws insurance, but what about the damage to the mazda?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I still wouldn't be happy putting a claim on his insurance. Grand for the garage and you get screwed in premiums over it

• Registered Users Posts: 38 hogeybear

I know but what are the alternatives? Certainly wouldn't want the other car to get duped by the garage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I'd start by reporting it to the gardai.

That was the first thing done tbh. He's up there now trying to sort it out. I told him to not accept liability regardless. Who knows what he will actually say though. He's kind of non confrontational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Not much of a garage if they dont even have a motor traders policy.

You will need to find out what the mechanics policy is but it probably states not for commercial use anyway.

Looks like it will be court unless the "mechanic" holds his hands up and sorts out both cars.

• Advertisement

He's a mechanic, can he not fix the cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He's a mechanic, not necessarily a panel-beater.

If the driver is uninsured why do you think the other car is covered? Was it a garage or a lad doing work on cars for cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

What a twat of a mechanic. Good no one was hurt though. He had to be given permission to drive it for your father to have to cover

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kay 9 wrote: »
    What a twat of a mechanic. Good no one was hurt though. He had to be given permission to drive it for your father to have to cover

By giving a mechanic your car you are giving them permission to drive it. I wouldn't trust a mechanic that doesn't test drive a car after working on it and for a lot of faults, even if the owner thinks that they know the problem, the mechanic will still drive it to verify.

Every insurance policy I've had has had a clause saying mechanics are insured to drive, don't know how that works when they don't have their own policy. But regardless of the mechanics insurance status he should cover the damage to both cars, assuming he is found to be at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Your father in law's insurance will not cover the mechanic. At least my insurance specifically and quite prominently excludes use in connection with servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland maintains a fund to cover claims against uninsured drivers. If the worst comes to the worst, this is where the cost of the damage will be covered, to the third party at least. Your father is probably within his rights to sue the mechanic for damages if he can't cover them by other means. It's time to talk to a solicitor I think.

He never asked if he could drive it but he wasn't told he couldn't either. There is normally an assumption that the garage would be covered though. Not an unreasonable assumption either. I rang my insurance company to ask, different company but a similar policy, they said the other car would be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,130 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your FIL's insurance company are obliged to cover the claim by the third party.

Real dumb ass taking a customer's car out on a public road when he knows he has no garage cover. Actually is his business even registered or is he a part time mechanic working out of his shed at the back of his house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Del2005 wrote: »
    Every insurance policy I've had has had a clause saying mechanics are insured to drive

I've always had the opposite of that; mine have always stated that my policy didn't cover motor trade for the purposes of their business (I can't remember the exact phrase off the top of my head, and I can't find a sample certificate online)

OP; your FiL's insurance may cover the third party, and then your insurance company may go after the mechanic for its costs. Your FiL will probably have to go after the mechanic directly for his costs. In the meantime he is quite likely to lose his NCB, at least until his insurance company get their costs back.

Get him to speak directly with his insurance company or their assessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I only see it going one way, the mechanic pays for the lot.

It's an actual garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Roughly how much damage was done?
    Is the mechanic a registered business?

Is the damage is less than €2k I'd report it to the guards first and then try the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Name and shame this clown so it doesn't happen to some other unfortunate customer. If he hasn't got the iq to know whether or not he's insured or has the gall to take someone else's car on a public road knowingly without insurance I wouldn't let him near a wheelbarrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

ballooba wrote: »
    Your father in law's insurance will not cover the mechanic. At least my insurance specifically and quite prominently excludes use in connection with servicing.

But he wasn't driving your car ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

My insurance states it covers use by members of the motor trade for repairs etc can't remember the exact wording but I wouldn't claim on it let the mechanic pay for both cars if he is a proper garage he should be insured take him to court over it if need be

sjb25 wrote: »
    My insurance states it covers use by members of the motor trade for repairs etc can't remember the exact wording but I wouldn't claim on it let the mechanic pay for both cars if he is a proper garage he should be insured take him to court over it if need be

You have no choice. When you take out an insurance policy you give the insurance company complete control over all claims. There is an innocent 3rd party out of pocket here and if they make a claim it'll come off your policy as that's the vehicle that caused the claim. It'd then be up to you to chase the mechanic to recoup your costs but if he can't afford a proper garage policy there's little chance he'll have the money to repay, this is the reason why legitimate companies cost more as when stuff goes wrong you have a better chance of getting a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Del2005 wrote: »
    By giving a mechanic your car you are giving them permission to drive it.

I would definitely dispute that, assumed consent means nothing.

bladespin wrote: »
    I would definitely dispute that, assumed consent means nothing.

What job, apart from changing a bulb, doesn't require a test drive after to verify that the issue has been resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is what happens when people go to back street mechanics.
    You will need to involve the guards and if that gets you nowhere then it's small claims court as I imagine the car is fairly low value being 1991 reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ryanf1 wrote: »
    This is what happens when people go to back street mechanics.
    You will need to involve the guards and if that gets you nowhere then it's small claims court as I imagine the car is fairly low value being 1991 reg.

fail...91 Mazda Eunos would be reasonably sought after, bordering on Classic status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

hogeybear wrote: »
    He told my father that he has no garage insurance.

On which you are taking his word.

Maybe he does and would prefer to have the father's premiums go up instead of his.

Sorry to say - CYA. He who does so first, wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

FISMA wrote: »
    On which you are taking his word.

Maybe he does and would prefer to have the father's premiums go up instead of his.

Sorry to say - CYA. He who does so first, wins.
    I was about to post something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OTH

I think you're all jumping the gun a bit. It's normal practice for mechanics to take cars out for a test drive before returning them to the customer. If the crash only happened yesterday the car has probably not been checked out fully yet. How do you know the crash wasn't caused by a fault in the car??If it's an import it's either from Japan or UK. Do you know the complete history of the car. It could have a dodgy past. Maybe your father in law got sold a bummer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

tbh, from what i read i would not trust him to make a slice of toast.

Advertisement