Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 12 - "Death in Heaven"

Options
  • 06-11-2014 10:54pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have a sneaking suspicion that with Christmas just around the corner (ergh), this finale is going to end on a bombshell, or some form of cliffhanger anyway. Can't see them tying everything together and letting the Xmas special just hang around with nothing to do.

Quite happy to see
    the return of UNIT; Kate Stewart has been a good addition; ditto Osgood who'd make a good companion, though I'm not sure she'd work well against Capaldi's Doc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Thanks for posting but I'm not going to watch this trailer. I was annoyed with myself for watching last week's one because it spoiled the Cyberman reveal and don't want anything spoiled for this episode.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Here. We. Go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

How much?

Manscout

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Balls, was cooking and missed the first 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Awh, it's a bit touching to think the Doctor would salute the Brigadier.

That was poor enough

Santa Claus in the Christmas episode..... dear lord

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I....I....I loved it. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Hugely underwhelming I thought. And was that Clara's exit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 yaines

TheDoctor wrote: »
    That was poor enough

Agreed. Poor Osgood though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Hugely underwhelming I thought. And was that Clara's exit?

Nah...Santa (Nick Frost) told him she's wasn't alright. She'll probably be back for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I have only one major gripe. OSGOOD!

Clara is in the xmas episode, been confirmed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From the trailers and the episodes up till now, excepted fireworks. Instead got a damp squib. Schmaltzy and disjointed in pace and tone, with pop-culture references taking the place of plot and resolution. As for the ending, truly face palm worthy.

It was cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Gutted about Osgood, I'm only hoping that was her Zygon and the real one is still out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Very much enjoyed in this house by all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Poor Osgood! It was very Meh, in fairness Danny redeemed his crappiness so far. Actually looking forward to Nick frost though!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Could well be the counterpart..

As a whole it had a few really cracking moments, but suffered from a bit too much over wrought emotions.

As for Santa, it kind of reminded me of Donna's arrival on the TARDIS. Sad mopey doctor. Unexpected visitor etc.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

For a second I thought it was Chris Addisons voice.....:) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Afraid it's not osgoods counterpart, made a big show about in that episode that the counterpart didn't need the inhaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Afraid it's not osgoods counterpart, made a big show about in that episode that the counterpart didn't need the inhaler.
    And I don't recall Osgood using her Inhaler here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

flazio wrote: »
    And I don't recall Osgood using her Inhaler here.

she was shown using her inhaler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

My review.

'Meh'

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That was fairly disturbing and mawkish. I don't know how that's possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Really enjoyed it and cried 4 times. Dammit I must be very hormonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Right. I've had a chance to think about it:

A lot of unanswered questions about Missy/Master. For one thing why did she suddenly put on a Scottish accent a quarter way into the episode? (My housemate was jabbering to me at the time so I couldn't hear what the guy said about it)
    How the sam willy heck did she survive? - Also was Gallifrey *meant* to be at those co-ordinates?

How did the Brigadier Cyberman defy Danny's commands to stop and save Kate? Lovely scene as it was.

Oswald was another victim of the mid-episode invite to join the Doctor curse :(

Still overall......eh. Wasn't too bowled over by the "Clara no, he'll kill you!!!....Actually he won't" ending. The image of the Cyberman leading the others to death was pretty cool though. And I did like the Doctor's speech.

Christmas should be ..interesting. It was only a matter of time until we got Santa. What are we thinking, Santa's an android?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Right. I've had a chance to think about it:

A lot of unanswered questions about Missy/Master. For one thing why did she suddenly put on a Scottish accent a quarter way into the episode? (My housemate was jabbering to me at the time so I couldn't hear what the guy said about it)
    How the sam willy heck did she survive? - Also was Gallifrey *meant* to be at those co-ordinates?

How did the Brigadier Cyberman defy Danny's commands to stop and save Kate? Lovely scene as it was.

Oswald was another victim of the mid-episode invite to join the Doctor curse :(

Still overall......eh. Wasn't too bowled over by the "Clara no, he'll kill you!!!....Actually he won't" ending. The image of the Cyberman leading the others to death was pretty cool though. And I did like the Doctor's speech.

Christmas should be ..interesting. It was only a matter of time until we got Santa. What are we thinking, Santa's an android?

I thought she always had a slight Scottish accent.

He had caught and saved Kate before Danny took control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

That was poor in a lot of respects and quite depressing too. Why did the Doctor and Clara lie to each other at the end? I get that they were both trying to let the other down gently but what was the point of it, story wise? We've already had an episode ending with Clara telling the Doctor to eff off and everyone presuming that she wouldn't be around for the next episode because she wasn't shown in the trailer (the Orient Express one) and now it looks like the same is going to happen here.
    It really annoyed me that all of the stuff we saw in the trailer for Dark Water regarding Clara declaring that 'Clara Oswold never existed' was only a ruse to fool the Cybermen in the end. The trailer had us all (well, quite a few anyway) thinking that she wasn't who she seemed to be all along. The actuality of it was a bit of a damp squib. It shows how poor the plot of the finale was when they had moments like that in the trailer, when it wasn't a major part of the story. The trailer showed Clara saying she never existed and attempting to destroy the Tardis keys, leading many to think that that would be the plot of the finale, whereas both scenes really had nothing to do with the overall story.
    I'd imagine there will be a fair bit of fan irritation at Osgood's death. She was 'one of us', a fan of the Doctor, enjoyed a bit of cosplay, a bit geeky and to give her an undignified death like that was poor, I thought. Just before the Master threatened her, I had been thinking that she would make a good companion!
    What was the point of bringing back a major enemy like the Master and having her obliterated at the end? I don't understand why the Moffat would bother doing that when there was major plot holes/questions over how the Master could have gotten back from a time locked Gallifrey in the first place, only to have the character destroyed utterly at the end. Surely there can be no coming back from that kind of death for the Master, it'll be extremely crappy if the find a lame way to write him/her back in to the story in a future episode. What a waste of a character. It would have made more sense to have Missy be someone like the Rani (or anyone at all, just not the Master), whose death in the end wouldn't have matter too much in the grand scheme of things.
    All in all, I expected a lot more from this. Peter Capaldi was, once again, the only saving grace in the whole thing. I think it's high time that Moffat took a back seat in the script writing duties. He has written some of the best episodes in the revival of Doctor Who but in my opinion, he is losing his touch.

Advertisement