Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the mood for a good medieval movie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Black Knight is the obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

check_six wrote: »
    I was really surprised I'd never heard of it before spotting it on netflix to be honest.

Not on irish netflix :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Princess Bride, love Mandy Patinkin as Montoya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

If you dont mind subtitles, watch Alexander Nevski (Russian, 1930s) and Teutonic Knights (Polish, 1970s I think). V. well made and plenty of emphasis on realism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The War Lord

The War Lord is a 1965 American film about Medieval warfare in 11th century Normandy, starring Charlton Heston and directed by Franklin J. Schaffner. It is an adaptation of the play, The Lovers, by Leslie Stevens. The film also features Richard Boone, Rosemary Forsyth, Guy Stockwell, Maurice Evans, Niall MacGinnis, Henry Wilcoxon and James Farentino, with Jon Alderson, Allen Jaffe, Sammy Ross, and Woodrow Parfrey.
    Until this film, most Hollywood representations of feudal life were glamorized. The War Lord attempts to portray the 11th Century in a more accurate fashion as dirty, violent and ruled by brute force. The social stratification imposed by feudalism governed every human relationship, with power devolving from the duke, to the knight, to the men at arms, the church and the peasantry at the very bottom.

its shown on one of movie channels regularly film4 TCM or MCM one of those
    7/10
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Lord

220px-Warlordposter.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

check_six wrote: »
    Saw Flesh+Blood on netflix in the last few months. Paul Verhoeven directing Rutger Hauer in a grimy, vicious, warts and all medieval set movie about a bunch of mercenaries holing up in a castle for the winter. The general vibe feels quite authentic to the time. Pretty entertaining too.

good movie , its shown on MCM channel regularly.
    The story is set in the year 1501 in Italy, during the passing of the Late Middle Ages to the Early modern period, so maybe border-line medieval. :p
    I stretch it another bit for a brilliant film.

The Last Valley (1971), directed by James Clavell, is an historical drama set during the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648). A mercenary soldier (Michael Caine) and a teacher (Omar Sharif), each fleeing the religious war in southern Germany, accidentally find the valley, untouched by the war, and there live in peace. Based upon the novel The Last Valley (1959), by J.B. Pick, the cinematic version of The Last Valley, directed by James Clavell, was the final feature film photographed with the Todd-AO 70 mm widescreen process; it was re-used to make the film Baraka

8/10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Valley_(1970_film)

LastValley.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Fall of the Roman Empire. Much of gladiator was stolen on this. I think is better film than gladiator

Advertisement