Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the mood for a good medieval movie

Options
  • 06-11-2014 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭

I fancy watching something historically based. A medieval preferably but wouldn't mind a classical one either. A film with a bit of substance in it, something like bravehart or the Gladiator I guess as opposed to the 300 or its like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

The holy Grail, can't go wrong, true story too

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

The directors cut of Kingdom of heaven is very good. Probably falls short of gladiator in my opinion but it's definitely up there. Stay well away from the theatrical version though.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

I doubt its the kind you're looking for but I take any chance i can to recommend A Knights Tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Knights Tale is brilliant, best hungover Sunday movie ever, Love holy grail but not the form I'm in now. Didn't think Kingdom of Heaven was great if I remember correctly but will def give the directors cut a go. I just set up 'Black Death' to start once my grubs done, views?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Check out Timeline from around 2003.

Cool medieval film, always thought it was underrated. (Does involve time travel though, so hopefully you are ok with that)

Ah I'll try anything once seamus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

Arn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ironclad is not bad, post Magna Carta King John tries to break the Lords and Barons that made him sign the oath, Paul Giamatti is an evil fcuker playing King John.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Substance you say? Get yourself a copy of The Seventh Seal - Ingmar Bergman's tale of a knight and his (literal) games with death. Beautifully shot, terrifically acted, intellectually stimulating, deeply atmospheric and littered with some of the most iconic images in all of cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Norseman - Lee Majors as a Viking. What could possibly go wrong?

Robin and Marian (1976) is a beautiful exploration of Robin Hoods later life after the Crusades as he attempts to renew his romance with Maid Marian. A hidden gem of a film.

El Cid if you like epic old school epics.

The Name of the Rose for those enjoy a bookish ecclesiastical murder mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Check out Timeline from around 2003.

Cool medieval film, always thought it was underrated. (Does involve time travel though, so hopefully you are ok with that)

I actually watched this the other week as I somehow missed it on first release, considering it had a 80m budget in 2003 I thought it was piss poor and can't see where the budget went to and the story was rather cliché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Watch GoodKnight Mr macgyver part 1 and 2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

It has to be "your highness"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

AnonoBoy wrote: »

In that case might as well suggest: Les Visiteurs http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108500/ and the sequel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Army of darkness. Cheesy goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ironclad is not bad, post Magna Carta King John tries to break the Lords and Barons that made him sign the oath, Paul Giamatti is an evil fcuker playing King John.

Bought Ironclad for a five recently, well worth it.

Black Death was a decent watch too, I have to say.

Would 13th warrior fall into this category? I watched having heard it was awful, must have lowered my expectations but I quite enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The Devils - Ken Russells adaptation of Aldous Huxleys The Devils of Loudon , based on a true story.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Neill Marshall who did the always watchable dog soldiers did a film a few years ago called centurion. It's a little bonkers but I watched it one rainy hungover Sunday and really enjoyed it. Also stars Michael Fassbender who is always good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Black Death, Ironclad and Solomon Kane come to mind

Did anyone watch that series on bbc a few years ago. Pillars of the earth I think it.was. I didn't watch it yet myself but books were brilliant. Any idea if series I any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Viriconia

Ladyhawke is good though quite old now. Very 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Excalibur - John Boorman directed and filmed in Ireland , based on the Arthurian legend .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pillars of the Earth
    World without End is not a sequel but it's based in the same town about 150 years after POTE. Best to watch POTE first

Same author and both were adapted to TV series. POTE is excellent though it goes a bit magicy/wizardry and there was no need for that.

I read WOE and the book is very different to the TV series.

Both are excellent, thumbs up. Will give you over 10 hours of viewing right there

Hard to be a God is a near 3 hour, black and white Russian Sci-fi that should be just what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Saw Flesh+Blood on netflix in the last few months. Paul Verhoeven directing Rutger Hauer in a grimy, vicious, warts and all medieval set movie about a bunch of mercenaries holing up in a castle for the winter. The general vibe feels quite authentic to the time. Pretty entertaining too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,130 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

check_six wrote: »
    Saw Flesh+Blood on netflix in the last few months. Paul Verhoeven directing Rutger Hauer in a grimy, vicious, warts and all medieval set movie about a bunch of mercenaries holing up in a castle for the winter. The general vibe feels quite authentic to the time. Pretty entertaining too.

Brilliant film!! Doesn't pull any punches in terms of savagery. I think that's a great suggestion to the question posed in the OP.

check_six wrote: »

Surprising night off babysitting duties tonight so I shall give this a look. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Brilliant film!! Doesn't pull any punches in terms of savagery. I think that's a great suggestion to the question posed in the OP.

I was really surprised I'd never heard of it before spotting it on netflix to be honest. It doesn't seem to have much of a profile despite being made by well known people, particularly when Verhoeven's very next movie was Robocop!

There was another movie that crossed my mind, something with Michael Caine and another band of mercenaries hiding in a valley (possibly The Last Valley?) during some religious wars of the later medieval period. They're just trying to lay low when internal rivalries get a bit heated.

Advertisement