Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish newspapers and TV spoilers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

yeah sorry, i forgot that i have literally nothing else to do in life than sit by my tv waiting for the next show to come on. you too, obviously.
    when I was a kid (in the olden days, obviously) folks saw something on tv and then talked about it the next day.

it was assumed that if you hadn't seen it, then you'd want to know what happened as sky plus hadn't been invented.

you REALLY expect the whole world top not talk about something that was broadcast just because someone might have had something else to do the night before?

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

If they aren't eager enough to watch the show then they can't complain that the people who do are talking about it

Yes they can. There are a significant number of people who like a show but don't have their lives revolving around it or who are still catching up and it's so easy to just not spoil it on them. If I'm talking about Game of Thrones and someone who hasn't seen it is around, it's really not that hard to just be polite enough to not ruin it on them, not just be a dick and say "tough sh!te, it's been out for literally dozens of hours now and since you weren't hardcore enough to watch it when I did, you don't get to enjoy it the way I did".

when I was a kid (in the olden days, obviously) folks saw something on tv and then talked about it the next day.

it was assumed that if you hadn't seen it, then you'd want to know what happened as sky plus hadn't been invented.

you REALLY expect the whole world top not talk about something that was broadcast just because someone might have had something else to do the night before?

really?

The entire TV industry was so incredibly different back then that you're comparing apples to oranges. Very few TV shows even had strong over-arching plots pre-2000 so there was hardly anything to spoil and even if they did, you'd be required to hear it so you could catch up for next week because there was no way to see it in between. Now it seems like a minority of people who actually watch stuff live because technology has moved forward.

Nobody says the whole world has to stop talking about it, but most people still at least put some kind of a warning up. If it's on a message board or website, you expect spoiler alerts and if it's in regular conversation you just ask if the person you're talking to is up to date and if they are, there's no problem, if not then you find something else to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Imagine if there was spoilers for who shot JR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

dquinnan wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to be a Love/Hate fan alright. It's heavily plugged, with pictures of the latest murder or whatever, in nearly every paper going most days. All the more reason (along with every idiot I know on Facebook claiming it's brilliant, same people who've said shows like The Sopranos and The Wire are boring!) to never watch it.

That and the fact its ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ptee1

Yes this is why I started watching Love/Hate week to week. I hate spoilers and it kept getting spoiled in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

C14N wrote: »
    Nobody says the whole world has to stop talking about it, but most people still at least put some kind of a warning up. If it's on a message board or website, you expect spoiler alerts and if it's in regular conversation you just ask if the person you're talking to is up to date and if they are, there's no problem, if not then you find something else to talk about.
    Oh Behave.

this is the real world where people talk and newspapers need to sell copy and TV shows need viewers.

you REALLY think that the BBC/RTE/SKY wont have whoever was voted off whatever their flagship show on the morning magazine show just because someone might have been watching the other side last night?

I hope that day never comes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I hate few people more than kunts that spoil movies and shows. You really have to be either a totally oblivious, idiotic kunt or just a complete kunt to not consider other people not having seen it before you just unload important details of shows they are or may be interested in. Do they even fuking realise they just ruined the story for people who haven't seen it?

The Facebook posters are the worst, it's like they rush to be the first idiot to post their sh!t statuses that get a few sh!t likes to make their sh!t life less sh!t for a few seconds before resuming being a sh!t kunt.

How hard is prefacing spoilers with ***SPOILERS***

I'm glad it's just love/hate being spoiled on front pages though...since it's low budget trash

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Oh Behave.

this is the real world where people talk and newspapers need to sell copy and TV shows need viewers.

you REALLY think that the BBC/RTE/SKY wont have whoever was voted off whatever their flagship show on the morning magazine show just because someone might have been watching the other side last night?

why do you hope that day never comes?

Oh Behave.

I would honestly love it if they all stopped talking about reality TV shows forever :)

But really, reality TV is very different and it's far more ephemeral than scripted TV. It doesn't have an actual overarching plot, it's all broadcast "live" (or at least very soon after recording) and really, nobody ever goes back to watch it again later. Talking about someone losing a competition is closer to talking about sports results than talking about The Walking Dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Well, I didn't get a chance to see the finale of Love/Hate last night, but I guess I don't have to as the front cover of both the Sun and Mirror showed me, at 7:00 this morning, what happened. Great big full colour photos on the front page so that there was no way I could avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Well, I didn't get a chance to see the finale of Love/Hate last night, but I guess I don't have to as the front cover of both the Sun and Mirror showed me, at 7:00 this morning, what happened. Great big full colour photos on the front page so that there was no way I could avoid it.

you heard

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Anyone that goes on facebook or reads a paper expecting no one to mention the series finale of the hottest tv show in ireland is a retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pigmounter

It's common decency to warn people about spoilers if you're posting on FB or in a conversation with somebody. If you overhear it or whatever then its just tough luck unfortunately. People should know by now that if they go on FB that it will be spoiled by somebody.

I dont get why the papers spoil something that hasnt aired yet though. Why do they assume that people will want to know whats going to happen? I know its common practice with soaps but they should have a bit of cop on that shows like Love/Hate are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Anyone that goes on facebook or reads a paper expecting no one to mention the series finale of the hottest tv show in ireland is a retard.

First, thanks for calling me a retard, nice work.
    Secondly, there is a full colour picture across the front page of the paper. Because I have functioning eyeballs I saw it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

pigmounter wrote: »
    It's common decency to warn people about spoilers if you're posting on FB or in a conversation with somebody. If you overhear it or whatever then its just tough luck unfortunately. People should know by now that if they go on FB that it will be spoiled by somebody.

I dont get why the papers spoil something that hasnt aired yet though. Why do they assume that people will want to know whats going to happen? I know its common practice with soaps but they should have a bit of cop on that shows like Love/Hate are different.

It's called "gossip" and gossip isn't gossip if you aren't the first to tell everyone, no one buys a paper with the tag line "You heard it here second" now do they? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Nidge killed Siobhan last night

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BadPanda wrote: »
    That's some stupid flawed logic you have there.

Some people might enjoy a TV show such as Game of Tgrones, but may not necessarily be into those types of books. Crazy isn't it!?
    sure is!
    Also, they are not common knowledge. That sentence assumes a lot.
    they're best sellers and have sold millions of copies... even the most cursory interest in the tv series will make you aware of the original books
    Movies and TV shows don't always follow the books they're based on to a tee, so even if one had read the books, it's not to say the TV show couldn't be spoiled.
    mightn't be 100% the same but the overall story is pretty much the same, same characters etc.
    Nobody's at fault for not reading a book and liking a TV show. People are different and like different things. This probably comes as a shock to you.
    nope, not at all.
    In fact, I'm not into the types of books that you'd base a TV show on, but it doesn't mean I'm at fault for wanting to enjoy a story conveyed through a particular medium.
    no, not at all. Anyway GoT is just one that particularly annoys me as the books are far far superior to the tv show, which gets ridiculously ott ratings for an only above average show, yet people go bananas over it.
    TL;DR - your post is silly.

TL:DR the books are far better, go and read them :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

sure is!

they're best sellers and have sold millions of copies... even the most cursory interest in the tv series will make you aware of the original books

mightn't be 100% the same but the overall story is pretty much the same, same characters etc.

nope, not at all.
    no, not at all. Anyway GoT is just one that particularly annoys me as the books are far far superior to the tv show, which gets ridiculously ott ratings for an only above average show, yet people go bananas over it.

TL:DR the books are far better, go and read them :)

Books usually are. It'll take years but I'm waiting until the show and books are finished so I can have watched it all and then read through the books to get all the details the show left out. Especially the battles. Most of my friends have read the books so far but they're sound and warn us of spoilers before they talk about them. I also don't watch the show week by week so that I can binge watch it before the finale. Feels good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭valoren

Back in 2004, in the week that Million Dollar Baby was getting it's Irish release, the Irish Times ran an article about the movie which raised the issue of euthanasia .

Hardly takes a genius to think that might be a plot point FFS.

• Advertisement

DMcL1971 wrote: »

Had a friend who had the same problem today. Went out on Sunday so he didn't get to see the episode but bought a roll in Centra and had the whole thing spoiled before he could go and watch it this evening. Half the fault lies with the shops for putting it up all over the place when you're paying for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Anyway GoT is just one that particularly annoys me as the books are far far superior to the tv show, which gets ridiculously ott ratings for an only above average show, yet people go bananas over it.

No way, the books are good but the series is a lot better, easily the best show ever made.

The pictures in the paper was the media been ignorant ar****les, its common sense to realise that everyone has busy lives these days and even big fans may only get around to watching it a few days later. it only takes a bit of cop on to realise nobody can be up to date with every big film and tv series these days as theirs so many

Advertisement