Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish newspapers and TV spoilers

Options
  • 05-11-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

there seems to be a thing that Irish newspapers have (particularly with Love/Hate) where they literally give zero ****s about plastering spoilers on their front pages, a day after an episode has been aired. i don't even care about Love/Hate personally, but it struck me as really weird and flagrant.

i mean it's not like a careless facebook post- Surely someone at some point in the editorial process might stop and say 'hold on guys, we might piss off one or two people with that...' whose interest is it in to print it? people who've already seen the episode? it's just really bizarre. does it go on in other countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Never forgive Irish Indo giving away a massive spoiler about GoT. B*stards!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Love/Hate is Fair City with added weaponry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Stop reading the rags.

No spoilers in the Times or the Guardian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Love/Hate is Fair City with added weaponry.

Relevant..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wprathead wrote: »
    Never forgive Irish Indo giving away a massive spoiler about GoT. B*stards!

I don't understand the rage about GoT spoilers. the books are common knowledge after all, if you can't be bothered to read them and only rely on the series it's your own fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Relevant..

Yes. It's sh1te. There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Stop reading the rags.

You don't even need to read them, though. if it's on the front page all it takes is stumbling across it while you're going to the jacks at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I dont watch Love/Hate myself but I remember when one of the members got shot as a cliff hanger. The Herald had on their front page a picture of the actor back in filming on their front page for the next series. I seen the massive front cover poster on a newspaper stand and was just plain angry that they would spoil something like that. It may have been some sort of prequal or ghost thing but still.

I was also in a petrol station the other day and some crappy womens magazine had an Eastenders spoiler on the front page. Its impossible to avoid the damn things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

plastering spoilers on their front pages, a day after an episode has been aired.

if the episode has aired it's not a spoiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'll never forgive the Mirror for revealing what happened in Titanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

mikemac1 wrote: »
    What he said.

if you can't be bothered to watch the show when it's on the telly, don't whinge when other folk, either on the bus in in publishing, talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair with love/hate it's only shown on RTE isn't it? with the exception of people who save it on sky plus, it's not like anyone's going to see it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Stop reading the rags.

There most certainly is in The Sunday times. Barely a week goes by without them having a short article about a documentary on a non-Sky channel due to be broadcast in the upcoming week. It will lay out the topic of the programme and invariably tells you said show's conclusion as a spoiler saving you the bother of watching it. Mostly seems to be BBC or Channel 4 shows that get this treatment - never anything on Discovery, National Geographic or anything carried on the Sky system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I don't understand the rage about GoT spoilers. the books are common knowledge after all, if you can't be bothered to read them and only rely on the series it's your own fault.

They're not common knowledge at all. Most people who read the books have the courtesy not to spoil the show for people who haven't. Even the Game of Thrones wiki keeps things spoiler-free for show-watchers.

So as soon as a film premieres giving away the ending stops being spoiler? Because most film reviews for the Sixth Sense or Fight Club didn't drop the ending twist just because everyone should have seen it already. Not everyone gets to watch things the very moment they're released and especially nowadays when a lot of people can record it and don't get to watch it until later in the week, not spoiling it is just common decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

The books are not common knowledge. The TV show has brought in a bigger audience.

Also there are differences between the books and TV show so even having knowledge of the books doesn't mean you can't be spoiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hard to please everyone

I got given out to in the boards film forum for discussing the ending of Se7en

That came out in 1995 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Last week on Monday morning (after ep 4 was shown) the sun had a love/hate season finale spoiler across the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

As far as I'm concerned, once it has aired on terrestrial TV, it's fair game.

Anything exclusive to satellite/Netflix etc etc then a little discretion wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Hard to please everyone

I got given out to in the boards film forum for discussing the ending of Se7en

That came out in 1995 :rolleyes:

Did you use the
    tag?
    After all, there are probably people on the film board who weren't born in 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL people still read newspaper's

Seriously though it's just outdated media trying to stay relevant and consistently failing miserably at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

C14N wrote: »
    So as soon as a film premieres giving away the ending stops being spoiler?

No one mentioned films because (a) papers generally don't spoil current films and (b) it's a poor comparison.

If you're a big fan, you'll have watched the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

That's some stupid flawed logic you have there.

Some people might enjoy a TV show such as Game of Tgrones, but may not necessarily be into those types of books. Crazy isn't it!?

Also, they are not common knowledge. That sentence assumes a lot.

Movies and TV shows don't always follow the books they're based on to a tee, so even if one had read the books, it's not to say the TV show couldn't be spoiled.

Nobody's at fault for not reading a book and liking a TV show. People are different and like different things. This probably comes as a shock to you.

In fact, I'm not into the types of books that you'd base a TV show on, but it doesn't mean I'm at fault for wanting to enjoy a story conveyed through a particular medium.

TL;DR - your post is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

I dont get who the papers are aiming spoilers at that they publish the next day. Those who have yet to see it will be pissed off and if you have seen it you hardly need a front page picture to remind you that a character died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

No one mentioned films because (a) papers generally don't spoil current films and (b) it's a poor comparison.

If you're a big fan, you'll have watched the show

I know they don't, that was my point, because they know a lot of people reading who plan on seeing it might not have seen it yet. They don't just say "if you were that interested you'd have already watched it" or "it's already been out for 2 days so it's not even a spoiler anymore".

Really big fans might watch it on release, but there are plenty of just regular fans who aren't that eager and don't mind waiting a day or two and still don't want it spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

C14N wrote: »
    fans who aren't that eager

If they aren't eager enough to watch the show then they can't complain that the people who do are talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The Western People gave away the entire ending of the fifth Harry Potter when it came out. Literally everything, they didn't leave a single detail out of the review. I couldn't believe their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

there seems to be a thing that Irish newspapers have (particularly with Love/Hate) where they literally give zero ****s about plastering spoilers on their front pages, a day after an episode has been aired. i don't even care about Love/Hate personally, but it struck me as really weird and flagrant.

i mean it's not like a careless facebook post- Surely someone at some point in the editorial process might stop and say 'hold on guys, we might piss off one or two people with that...' whose interest is it in to print it? people who've already seen the episode? it's just really bizarre. does it go on in other countries?

Oh ffs.

If they papers and news media in general don't feel any remorse about milking, twisting and exploiting human tragedies, accidents, scandals and everything else, why would they give a flying **** whether you watched a show or not.

Besides, there are far more idiots who will buy the paper to read about the show then there are idiots who will be upset by spoilers.

As long as idiots are buying, they don't care about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

What he said.

if you can't be bothered to watch the show when it's on the telly, don't whinge when other folk, either on the bus in in publishing, talk about it.

yeah sorry, i forgot that i have literally nothing else to do in life than sit by my tv waiting for the next show to come on. you too, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

ceegee wrote: »
    I dont get who the papers are aiming spoilers at that they publish the next day. Those who have yet to see it will be pissed off and if you have seen it you hardly need a front page picture to remind you that a character died.

There are plenty of people out there who don't give a damn about spoilers, and who will actively hunt down info about a show they like rather than have it presented to them as intended by the makers. I had a friend who used to read the last few pages of a book to decide if she like the ending before reading the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

I wouldn't like to be a Love/Hate fan alright. It's heavily plugged, with pictures of the latest murder or whatever, in nearly every paper going most days. All the more reason (along with every idiot I know on Facebook claiming it's brilliant, same people who've said shows like The Sopranos and The Wire are boring!) to never watch it.

Advertisement