Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting close to taking the EV plunge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

reboot wrote: »
    Sorry,I mean Boards.,having re read the rules it may not be acceptable to do as Dexter suggests, or have I totally misread his intentions?

http://www.irishevowners.com/forums/

I did suggest using boards but since it's 3rd party it would be hard to police for people who just want to be like Jeremy Clarkson and glorify their ICE.

And Mad_Lad, others have lost capacity bars on their Leaf. I also remember your posts and that facts that may show the Leafs weak points are not tolerated by some. This had mellowed a bit on my view as the DC FCP reliability has taken Centre stage.

There were a few Leaf owners stranded over Christmas and New years due to FCP malfunction. I find this hard to belief in routes like Dublin to Cork which has 8 FCPs and should only require 2 to 3 stops. I had a similar experience with Zoe driving to Dublin but just moved on and was fine.

I like the banter that goes on between Leaf and non-Leaf owners but I also have stopped calling out facts. Instead I post facts about my car. Like the flexible charger. Have been called Zoe-boy over here which I don't mind. I have called it the Leaf owners country club in return. I don't tend to take myself seriously so don't get offended or defensive in most cases. Must be my Dutch upbringing :)

Do join the forum and partake in the discussion but I would say that the same facts will result in a similar response by similar people.

If I have I apologise, just wondered what the differerance will be between Irish EV owners, and the facebook group of the same name, composing almost 100% Leaf postings?

This is because up to very recently the Leaf was the only EV available in ROI. There is more diversity now. I know of at least 6 Zoe owners. Problem is most are not active posters. I'm probably the most prolific (addicted or obsessed is probably a better word) of them all.

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    http://www.irishevowners.com/forums/

I like the banter that goes on between Leaf and non-Leaf owners but I also have stopped calling out facts. Instead I post facts about my car.

Not much point to it all if you only can post what people want to hear just to keep certain people happy.
    Do join the forum and partake in the discussion but I would say that the same facts will result in a similar response by similar people.

I might in the future but this year I plan on spending a lot less time on forums and on the internet in general. Working with computers all day and coming home and spending more time on the laptop is just far too much so instead I'm going to read a lot more books, instead of looking at the laptop/Ipad in bed I'm reading a lot more and I sleep a lot better, and I fall asleep a lot quicker. Too much computers is really bad as is too much of anything.

I'm also getting back into amateur radio listening. Anything that doesn't involve computers and internet.

I'll be going on shift in February and I'll be up at 6.10 am/pm and home at 9 am/pm 8-8 shift.

I'll still be around Boards and maybe one or two other forums, probably boards mainly. But I'll be spending a lot less time in general on the internet.

I still haven't decided if I'll get the Leaf or not, I would like to know when/if the Soul EV is coming because I won't have to charge it to get back home where I will in the Leaf and work have not yet decided if they'll install a charger which would be no problem for them to do. Then getting a leaf wouldn't be a problem but I don't know if I could spend 5-10 mins charging a day to get home after a shift.

Anyway I hope you're still enjoying the Zoe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Madlad you seem to be a big Ev supporter, one day hopefully youll get one and join the community. The two biggest players are the Leaf and Zoe. Ring up KIA Ireland and ask about the soul EV, they will tell you that they are not happy to sell in Ireland yet,would you blame them with Ev spots still not even painted.

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    Madlad you seem to be a big Ev supporter, one day hopefully youll get one and join the community. The two biggest players are the Leaf and Zoe. Ring up KIA Ireland and ask about the soul EV, they will tell you that they are not happy to sell in Ireland yet,would you blame them with Ev spots still not even painted.

Yeah hopefully I will get an EV soon, It would work for me but we are a 2 car household. So I don't have to worry about the odd very long trip. The current Gen electrics won't suit everyone but it will only be 2-3 years before we have the Gen II Leaf with twice the range and possibly more but 150-170 miles is a lot better than 70-80.

I did indeed ring Kia Ireland and they are not importing the Kia Soul EV. At least not in the "short term".

The thing that disgusted me the most is that they won't import it based on the assumption that it won't sell in Ireland.

People are not aware of the Soul EV exists so how can people show a demand for it ? I told them why didn't they do what Nissan did and advertise it on their website and have a "register your interest" option ?

This Island really annoys the crap out of me sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm a bit like yourself Madlad, was seriously considering an EV this time of changing.

But I just can't see myself going for one on this round, but will probably give myself another 3 yrs with an ICE and see what the EV developments are in 2018 or so.

My biggest worry and whats putting me off is resale value. If I was to buy a 2013 Leaf now, keep it for 3 yrs, will there be much market for a 5yr old Leaf with a 5yr old battery in 3yrs time?

Anyway I hope you're still enjoying the Zoe ?

Yup, still really enjoying my Zoe. Drove to Dublin last Friday. Bumped into a broken AC charger in Cashel but had plenty to get to Urlingford. I did try Thurles Train Station but it was only a 7kW unit. Urlingford worked fine as a 44kW charger. Next stop was J14 and then on to the Premier Inn Dublin Airport.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm a bit like yourself Madlad, was seriously considering an EV this time of changing.

But I just can't see myself going for one on this round, but will probably give myself another 3 yrs with an ICE and see what the EV developments are in 2018 or so.

My biggest worry and whats putting me off is resale value. If I was to buy a 2013 Leaf now, keep it for 3 yrs, will there be much market for a 5yr old Leaf with a 5yr old battery in 3yrs time?

Why not go on pcp,? this way you get a guarnteed future value.

This means that the gfv will be your balloon payment at the end of you decide to keep the car or if you don't and want a new one them it's something you don't have to pay at all. But excess mileage will be deducted from this.

I don't want to keep the current gen leaf so I'm quiet happy to go on pcp. While I wait for gen II.

The Chevy Bolt is due in 2016 with a claimed 200 mile range but there is no details on battery capacity to determine if 200 miles is remotely possible. But it's one to keep an eye on if it's big enough.

Yup, still really enjoying my Zoe. Drove to Dublin last Friday. Bumped into a broken AC charger in Cashel but had plenty to get to Urlingford. I did try Thurles Train Station but it was only a 7kW unit. Urlingford worked fine as a 44kW charger. Next stop was J14 and then on to the Premier Inn Dublin Airport.

You should take a photo of the charge points that you find are 7kw and 22kw to give us am idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

You should take a photo of the charge points that you find are 7kw and 22kw to give us am idea.

Ecarni say they are installing 7 Kva CPswith the new lot of money,(Did I read 600K pounds?
    I have been trying to get someone to Red Flag a faulty CP on the map for the past 2 months with no success., and to change the Blue/Green Led lights on the CP to indicate faulty.
    I agree with most of what is being said, but a little man in my head has always thought of the Leaf as the Model T Ford, Sorry.
    I also cope with the EV comments by dipping in and out ,as you indicate you may do, you will live longer, I just hope the other place does not follow us, as we both moved to avoid that?
    Live long and prosper..

• Advertisement

If only it was that easy. The output depends on local supply and not the model of charge points. Most are capable of 22kW but may not have a 3 phase supply.

Most Electrobay units I have seen have 7kW supplies but some have 22kW.

If only it was that easy. The output depends on local supply and not the model of charge points. Most are capable of 22kW but may not have a 3 phase supply.

We have had appalling service from the 22Kva CPs in S.Down,over 20 months now.
    I am asking for Rural Areas to be perhaps given priority over Cities.There are far fewer CPs in the countrside, and those of us trying in all weathers to show that EVs are not only for City dwellers are having a very hard time of it.
    I have been asking for the Ecarni map to red flag Newcastle CP SC89 for over a month, waiting for parts( Again),and looks like we could be waiting perhaps for 3 months before its repaired, I also asked if the CP Led lights could be changed to indicate a fault,I believe I have seen them switched to Red during testing,or even switch them off? I have been going back to the same charger every few days for 6 weeks.
    If it is a recurring reliability problem of the EBG chargers,it might be worth considering installing a 7 Kva point even as a temporary,(3 or 4 months,seems to be the turn around period for repairs) adjacent to the 22Kva, maybe picking up a single phase?
    What's the betting the new lot of money will go into the same type of Charge Point,and the many problems will go on into year 3?

That's a shame. All the more reason for the ESB to have the Kw rating on the charge point map.

Whilst being an early adaptor has been a real torture,with Renault/ESB/NIE/ Carra and Ecarni, coming dangerously close to hopeless, at least I have had around £2k worth of free fuel, thank you Europe.

But its not really free fuel the way I look at it, cos the EV is more expensive than its equivalent ICE car to begin with.

But its not really free fuel the way I look at it, cos the EV is more expensive than its equivalent ICE car to begin with.

I think the basic Zoe is around 13k pounds after the 5k grant, and no road tax in the North.

Pity I don't live in NI.

The Leaf is not more expensive than the pulsar diesel, the Leaf starts at 21,500 and the mid spec leaf about 25,500 but includes a lot of kit. The top spec leaf costs 28,500 and is very highly equipped.

Add an automatic, parking heater to any of the other models and you're talking 2 k extra worth of kit.

Whilst being an early adaptor has been a real torture,with Renault/ESB/NIE/ Carra and Ecarni, coming dangerously close to hopeless, at least I have had around £2k worth of free fuel, thank you Europe.

Have you had Renault update all the software on your car, including charger firmware? Seems different versions of Zoes have different problems. Older Zoes could charge at charge points, mine couldn't. They updated the software (on the charge point in this case) and it is working now.
    That's a shame. All the more reason for the ESB to have the Kw rating on the charge point map.

Yeah.. AC doesn't mean much in Zoe's case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The Leaf is not more expensive than the pulsar diesel, the Leaf starts at 21,500 and the mid spec leaf about 25,500 but includes a lot of kit. The top spec leaf costs 28,500 and is very highly equipped.

Add an automatic, parking heater to any of the other models and you're talking 2 k extra worth of kit.

Steep deprecation on electrics though.
    Although it doesn't seem quite as bad here as it is in the UK.

• Advertisement

dloob wrote: »
    Steep deprecation on electrics though.
    Although it doesn't seem quite as bad here as it is in the UK.

The depreciation on the Leaf in the U.K is due to a lot more being leased, so they need to get rid of them by selling them at a cheaper price and they;re not exactly in high demand. Though this could change

The leaf holds it's value in Ireland better than all but the premium German cars.
    (last time I checked)

Have you had Renault update all the software on your car, including charger firmware? Seems different versions of Zoes have different problems. Older Zoes could charge at charge points, mine couldn't. They updated the software (on the charge point in this case) and it is working now.

Thanks for the info on software update,I will try putting a call into the Dealership, or I might just put my head in a bucket
    After waiting for a CP fault, (Shutters not opening,and card not recognized) to be repaired,two months wait, today the shutters opened. . However the "Battery charging impossible" display has appeared for the first time on this CP?. Does this mean you may fix one fault, but introduce another? Guess we may just talk among ourselves,no one out there seems to be capable of getting a handle on these faults,,only 2 out of 7 CPs in this area S.Down will charge a Zoe,and these 2 have had major faults over last year, taking over 2 months to clear,but at least Carra is now called Abtran, that should make a hugh difference.

Don't quite understand the AC comment re Zoe?, do you mean compared to a Leaf or Power factor?

Pity I don't live in NI.

Be careful what you wish for ESB may be better than NIE, maybe? Still waiting for the Assembly to pass Ohms Law.

Don't quite understand the AC comment re Zoe?, do you mean compared to a Leaf or Power factor?
    No. What i mean is DC on the map means a 50kW fast charger with either a chademo plug or both a chademo and CCS plug. AC only means it has a type 2 connector and supplies AC power. It does not say anything about output which can be anywhere between 3kW and 43kW. A few times i was hoping to charge somewhere to full only to find a 7kW point meaning my 1 hour stop would take 4 hours. I moved on sooner rather then wait in all cases.

The new map which ESB hope to have this year should include plug type, amount of plugs for each type as well as output levels for the AC.

The map is fine for a Leaf as most can only use 3kW AC and the fast chargers are all the same as well. But for Zoe it can be a bit of a gamble.

No. What i mean is DC on the map means a 50kW fast charger with either a chademo plug or both a chademo and CCS plug. AC only means it has a type 2 connector and supplies AC power. It does not say anything about output which can be anywhere between 3kW and 43kW. A few times i was hoping to charge somewhere to full only to find a 7kW point meaning my 1 hour stop would take 4 hours. I moved on sooner rather then wait in all cases.

The new map which ESB hope to have this year should include plug type, amount of plugs for each type as well as output levels for the AC.

The map is fine for a Leaf as most can only use 3kW AC and the fast chargers are all the same as well. But for Zoe it can be a bit of a gamble.

Thanks for that info,seems odd that a power supply that may supply 50kw DC can only output 3Kva AC? On the software Zoe download,my tech guy at the dealership checked with Renault and tells me there is no such thing. NIE at a meeting last year firmly informed me they would not alter the charge point software ,in spite of Renault assuring me that they told them they would.The upshot of all this is that CPs that never worked since installation in the North,still don't work almost 2 years on, as posted often. Range at the moment around 70,last summer I saw 105 miles.

If I am around Co. Down as part of the EV Photo Rally I must have a peek at those CPs. I have not seen a BCI error before so it will be interesting. It will be filmed, obviously :)

If I am around Co. Down as part of the EV Photo Rally I must have a peek at those CPs. I have not seen a BCI error before so it will be interesting. It will be filmed, obviously :)

Copies of the movie to Ecar, Carra,NIE,Renault/Nissan Alliance,sit back and wait for another 2 years? CPs that won't charge from Newry,through Kilkeel,Newcastle and into Belfast. Good luck.

Copies of the movie to Ecar, Carra,NIE,Renault/Nissan Alliance,sit back and wait for another 2 years? CPs that won't charge from Newry,through Kilkeel,Newcastle and into Belfast. Good luck.

Thank you.. all part of the adventure :)

• Advertisement

Thank you.. all part of the adventure :)

Thanks,forgot to mention that you won't make a movie in Ballynahinch as the CP that was vandalized was never replaced,just walking distance from the police station. If you visit during the run up to the Golf,no chance of getting into any of the CP bays,and no parking penalties for ice cars. Some CP bays only half greened. Maybe if you are thinking of a visit to the coast of the Sunny south east you should come by boat,electric of course.

Advertisement