Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Rugby - Autumn Internationals 2014 ESPNscrum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

None of us appear to be doing well at this thing. At least the boards league is still in the melting pot anyway. I assume everybody has 4 Irish for today?? I've gone for Gilroy ahead of Zebo and will be looking for heroics from Darcy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

None of us appear to be doing well at this thing. At least the boards league is still in the melting pot anyway. I assume everybody has 4 Irish for today?? I've gone for Gilroy ahead of Zebo and will be looking for heroics from Darcy also.

This Autumn Tests Fantasy Rugby is a bit of a lottery though. Some teams sent their B squad for the second game (e.g. NZ, Ireland), some teams care more (France because we have to get some positive momentum :pac:) than others (Wales which always seem not to bother that much with Tests). So picking the right players has a huge element of luck in it.
    Also, Southern Hemisphere teams are finishing their long seasons while Northern Hemispheres ones are just starting it. They don't perform the way they do for the Summer Tests (France-Australia was a good example, a good French team would have smashed this Asutralia side, which was far from what they showed in the Summer).

The 6N fantasy game is more interesting from that perspective. The season is well up and running, you generally know which players are on a hot streak and who are struggling. Since it's an official tournament teams don't get too much changed from one game to another. With a limited amount of transfers you need to build up a strategy to be performing over 2 to 3 weeks, etc... etc...

I've done OK over the years on this one (finished in top 500 twice IIRC and won my college league each year :D) but always failed at the fantasy rugby Tests (like the fantasy Euro or stuff like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

iroced wrote: »
    This Autumn Tests Fantasy Rugby is a bit of a lottery though. Some teams sent their B squad for the second game (e.g. NZ, Ireland), some teams care more (France because we have to get some positive momentum :pac:) than others (Wales which always seem not to bother that much with Tests). So picking the right players has a huge element of luck in it.
    Also, Southern Hemisphere teams are finishing their long seasons while Northern Hemispheres ones are just starting it. They don't perform the way they do for the Summer Tests (France-Australia was a good example, a good French team would have smashed this Asutralia side, which was far from what they showed in the Summer).

The 6N fantasy game is more interesting from that perspective. The season is well up and running, you generally know which players are on a hot streak and who are struggling. Since it's an official tournament teams don't get too much changed from one game to another. With a limited amount of transfers you need to build up a strategy to be performing over 2 to 3 weeks, etc... etc...

I've done OK over the years on this one (finished in top 500 twice IIRC and won my college league each year :D) but always failed at the fantasy rugby Tests (like the fantasy Euro or stuff like that).

One of the problems I find is that it's so difficult to predict the high scoring games. Like Australia and England even though they lost will perform better than Wales who actually won their game. I didn't have Thomas last week but had Huget. That one mistake meant I'd no chance of winning. It's just so unpredictable. Fantasy football is different as with defenders the scoreline is taken into account much more.

NoelJ wrote: »
    One of the problems I find is that it's so difficult to predict the high scoring games. Like Australia and England even though they lost will perform better than Wales who actually won their game. I didn't have Thomas last week but had Huget. That one mistake meant I'd no chance of winning. It's just so unpredictable. Fantasy football is different as with defenders the scoreline is taken into account much more.

Yeah and well FF is a 38 GWs marathon while this fantasy rugby is a 3 GWs sprint.

I never played a whole season fantasy rugby. Should be interesting but I feel I spend enough time with FPL :rolleyes: :pac:...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Are there any actual season long club fantasy games?

If the answer is yes it might be better not to answer :pac:

This is all relative pot luck as there's no time to correct statistical anomalies etc. the 6 nations is marginally better.

There's potential for a better level of rugby game though if anyone had time, money, the inclination and mad computer skills.

It all about Kilcoyne, Tommy O'D and Zeebs today anyway. Regret not going for Madigan now too

• Advertisement

Are there any actual season long club fantasy games?

If the answer is yes it might be better not to answer :pac:

There are definitely some fantasy games around the Top 14 season... Don't know if there's anything regarding the Celtic League and the European Rugby Cup. I guess there is though :p... What about trying to clone yourself Mr. P

There are definitely some fantasy games around the Top 14 season... Don't know if there's anything regarding the Celtic League and the European Rugby Cup. I guess there is though :p... What about trying to clone yourself Mr. P

Think I'll stick with International Fantasy Rugby for all our sakes :P

Killer and Zeebs did the business and Tommy O'Donnell very unlucky not to score. Was right that I'd regret not picking Madigan too.

Anyone with Jones will be delighted too!

Ah yeah will have gotten it all wrong this week-end... though I thought Ireland would need time to crush Georgia and was expecting Madigan to be subbed. It did take time to Ireland to score tries but Madigan played the whole game... Then I don't know enough your young forwards... My aim now is try not to finish last which would already be an achievement in itself :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Leading this going onto the final weekend will I hang on?
    Provisional Line-Ups - Italy v South Africa (Saturday, 14:00)
    Italy: Masi, McLean, Campagnaro, Morisi, Sarto, Haimona, Gori, Aguero, Ghiraldini, Castrogiovanni, Geldenhuys, Furno, Zanni, Vunisa, Parisse.

Replacements: Manici, De Marchi, Chistolini, Bortolami, Minto, Palazzani, Orquera, Toniolatti.

South Africa: Goosen, Pietersen, Serfontein, de Villiers, Habana, Lambie, Reinach, Nyakane, Strauss, Oosthuizen, Etzebeth, Matfield, Coetzee, Mohoje, Vermeulen.

Replacements: B du Plessis, Steenkamp, Redelinghuys, de Jager, Carr, Hougaard, Pollard, le Roux.
    Provisional Line-Ups - Scotland v Tonga (Saturday, 14:30)
    Scotland: Hogg, Seymour, Lamont, Dunbar, Visser, Russell, Laidlaw, Dickinson, Ford, Cross, R Gray, J Gray, Harley, Cowan, Beattie.

Replacements: Brown, Reid, Grant, K Low, Strokosch, Cusiter, Weir, Taylor.

Tonga: Lilo, Halaifonua, Piutau, Paea, Vainikolo, Fosita, Takulua, Mailau, Lutui, Fa'anunu, Lokotui, Tuineau, Kalamafoni, Langilangi, Ma'afu.

Replacements: Taione, Lea, Puafisi, Fa'aoso, Pole, Palu, Morath, Piukala.
    Provisional Line-Ups - Ireland v Australia (Saturday, 16:30)
    Ireland: Kearney, Bowe, Henshaw, D'Arcy, Zebo, Sexton, Murray, McGrath, Best, Ross, Toner, O'Connell, O'Mahony, Ruddock, Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, Kilcoyne, Ah You, Foley, O'Donnell, Reddan, Madigan, Jones.

Australia: Folau, Ashley-Cooper, Kuridrani, Toomua, Speight, Foley, Phipps, Slipper, Fainga'a, Kepu, Carter, Simmons, Jones, Hooper, McCalman.

Replacements: Hanson, Faulkner, Robinson, Skelton, Schatz, Genia, Cooper, Beale.
    Provisional Line-Ups - Wales v New Zealand (Saturday, 17:30)
    Wales: Halfpenny, Cuthbert, J Davies, Roberts, North, Biggar, Webb, James, Hibbard, Lee, Ball, AW Jones, Lydiate, Warburton, Faletau.

Replacements: Baldwin, Smith, R Jones, Charteris, Tipuric, M Phillips, Hook, L Williams.

New Zealand: B Smith, Piutau, C Smith, SB Williams, Savea, Barrett, A Smith, Crockett, Coles, O Franks, Retallick, Whitelock, Kaino, McCaw, Read.

Replacements: Mealamu, Moody, Faumuina, Tuipulotu, Messam, Perenara, Slade, Crotty.
    Provisional Line-Ups - England v Samoa (Saturday, 19:00)
    England: Brown, Watson, Barritt, Farrell, May, Ford, Youngs, Marler, Webber, Wilson, Attwood, Lawes, Haskell, Robshaw, Morgan.

Replacements: Hartley, Mullan, Brookes, Kruis, Wood, Wigglesworth, Twelvetrees, Yarde.

Samoa: K Pisi, Leiua, Lee-Lo, Leota, Lemi, T Pisi, Fotuali'i, Taulafo, Ti Paulo, Johnston, F Paulo, Thompson, Fa'asavalu, Lam, Treviranus.

Replacements: Leiataua, Afatia, Perenise, Lemalu, Leo, Ioane, Cowley, M Stanley.
    Provisional Line-Ups - France v Argentina (Saturday, 20:00)
    France: Spedding, Huget, Mermoz, Fofana, Medard, Lopez, Tillous-Borde, Chiocci, Kayser, Mas, Pape, Vahaamahina, Dusautoir, Le Roux, Chouly.

Replacements (from): Guirado, Menini, Atonio, Flanquart, Maestri, Nyanga, Ollivon, Kockott, Tales, Bastareaud, Fall.

Argentina: Tuculet, Imhoff, Bosch, Hernandez, Montero, Sanchez, Cubelli, Ayerza, Creevy, Chaparro, Petti, Lavanini, Isa, Ortega Desio, Senatore.

Replacements: Cortese, Paz, Herrera, Ponce, Lezana, Landajo, Iglesias, Amorosino.

Please note that line-ups are correct as of time of going to press and are subject to change.

• Advertisement

There's 2 matches next week as well which I assume count so not over just yet

Forgot about this with the FPL back, assume those games next week will count alright. I'm miles behind patmac but it wouldn't be my style to quit now. Should be all one sided games this week with the exception of the Irish game.

Forgot about this with the FPL back, assume those games next week will count alright. I'm miles behind patmac but it wouldn't be my style to quit now. Should be all one sided games this week with the exception of the Irish game.

The Welsh will probably generate points before ultimately falling away. Scotland are playing on Kilmarnock's artificial pitch too however that affects a rugby international. Imagine the Tongans in full flight.

I currently have 4 Scottish players which is something almost unheard of :pac: I'll probably rejig things before tomorrow though.

I eem to be doing very well in this today I think. Haven't got time to check properly but I've had 4 tries in those two games.

I had a fantastic day but it seems we almost all did in the boards league. Only 6 points seperates first (Patmac) and 5th(me). All set for a grandstand finish next week with only two games to choose from.

Don't forget there's 2 more matches tomorrow. There's a few of us within a converted try of the leader in our Boards league so anything can happen. Best of luck all, forget about the 6 Nations and World Cup this is the competition that matters :pac:

Joint 1st (but still 1st) for this final round. At least I can leave this competition head high :).

Not sure I'll leave the current FPL GW head high :(...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Joint 1st (but still 1st) for this final round. At least I can leave this competition head high :).

Not sure I'll leave the current FPL GW head high :(...

Table shows me first and you second so i'm claiming this one as a win!!

AdpRo wrote: »
    Table shows me first and you second so i'm claiming this one as a win!!

Just because you're called Adrian...

The little 1 on the left is enough for me to claim glory here :D.

Only checking this now but I was closest to catching first ending up just 2 points behind. Still only 8 points between 1st and 5th. Congrats to Betty Swallocks.

A nice dress rehearsal for the 6 Nations and presumably the World Cup next year too :D

• Advertisement

Ya, this was a good competition. Great that everybody kept playing until the end. Well Done to patmc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Wow I'm shocked and surprised by this award. I won't take too long with the speech, but there are a few people I would like to thank.
    Firstly my parents for having me. My wife for putting up with me. Paul O'Connell for his Man of the Match performance against the Aussies. My agent and my manager. Also 3 cheers for the gallant runne-up Mr Prodson ,hip hip hooray,hip hip hooray,hip hip hooray.
    It's been emotional, good night!

Advertisement