Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Check your mustasche privilege" - annual New Statesman anti-movember crusade

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh they do, but they tend to keep quiet, or are on toothless committees in colleges and the like. They tend to get heartily laughed at in the wild. This is a good thing.
    Would but that were true, these Social Justice Warriors seem to have a lot more influence and are capable of doing serious damage to our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I like the New Statesman - it has good articles in it sometimes. But every November it appears to lose the run of itself and get extremely upset at the idea of men growing a patch of hair on their faces to raise money for mens cancer charities.

A quick link to cast your mind back to the thread on their efforts in this regard last year, ya bunch of mustachioed sexist racists!

So wait. You posted a thread about this last year and this year? Are you on an anti-New Statesman's anti-Movember crusade crusade?

We're through the looking glass, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

SeanW wrote: »
    Would but that were true, these Social Justice Warriors seem to have a lot more influence and are capable of doing serious damage to our society.

^^ this.

The more left wing society gets, the more common those types of people become.
    Plus, quite a few boards users (including mods) are only a whisker away from being fully fledged SJWs themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus, quite a few boards users (including mods) are only a whisker away from being fully fledged SJWs themselves.
    Some may be, but I add some balance by being a complete nazi.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Some may be, but I add some balance by being a complete nazi.

Holy fucking shit I have a boner now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Clickbait article gets lot of clicks. Job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Old Statesman was far better, in the pre Brand years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This has to be satire, and if it is, it's good satire as it's fooling people.
    If it's not............ :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's becoming clear to me that there is a horde of white middle class commentators in the print media and, to a far larger extent, on the internet who believe that all white, straight males should apologise daily and publicly for being what they are, as well as subject themselves to the same, or far greater, self loathing they themselves have already developed.

We can still largely ignore these twats, but for how long? Their voices seem to be growing louder and, much worse, their fellow travellers seem to be finding their way into positions of governance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Radly

The more left wing society gets, the more common those types of people become.

Had not been aware of SJW's as a thing up until the last week.
    Just read an interesting article on them here ww.rooshv.com/what-is-a-social-justice-warrior-sjw
    (cant post links so i took out a 'w')

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Radly wrote: »
    Had not been aware of SJW's as a thing up until the last week.
    Just read an interesting article on them here ww.rooshv.com/what-is-a-social-justice-warrior-sjw
    (cant post links so i took out a 'w')
    While he makes some good points Radly, you also have to look at the source:

a) it's very American in nature and rooted within certain sections of that culture. So he'd have lots of points to make if he was swanning about some US college social/women's studies bunch.

b) He himself is a next generation PUA type tapping into the market that "all American(western) women are fat harpies after your soul and wallet and foreign women is where it's at" and plugs his e books of his travels and "conquests" to a rabid and sycophantic audience. If you wanna see sycophantic check out his forum. Read it for a week and you'll see guys getting sitebanned all over the place for going against the grain/his biz model and lots of posters some with large postcounts who are now banned. If you don't lickarse the "guru" game over.

c) He and his mates on the couple of sites they run are clickbait central. Designed to rile up and get more hits. To be fair to them they do make one good point about those who take offence. Anytime they write "all women are [insert clickbait here], the offended go apeshít and link his drivel all over the place and grow his audience.

So while these leftie bedwetter offence seekers who only love to shut down any debate are ridiculous twats tweeting and blogging to look for attention in their lives, don't be so ready to seek out their opposers, who are usually just as extreme, just as ridiculous and usually trying to flog their wares to a section of men(usually US men) who are feeling confused and angry about some matters in the modern world.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Radly

While he makes some good points Radly, you also have to look at the source:

a) it's very American in nature and rooted within certain sections of that culture. So he'd have lots of points to make if he was swanning about some US college social/women's studies bunch.

b) He himself is a next generation PUA type tapping into the market that "all American(western) women are fat harpies after your soul and wallet and foreign women is where it's at" and plugs his e books of his travels and "conquests" to a rabid and sycophantic audience. If you wanna see sycophantic check out his forum. Read it for a week and you'll see guys getting sitebanned all over the place for going against the grain/his biz model and lots of posters some with large postcounts who are now banned. If you don't lickarse the "guru" game over.

c) He and his mates on the couple of sites they run are clickbait central. Designed to rile up and get more hits. To be fair to them they do make one good point about those who take offence. Anytime they write "all women are [insert clickbait here], the offended go apeshít and link his drivel all over the place and grow his audience.

So while these leftie bedwetter offence seekers who only love to shut down any debate are ridiculous twats tweeting and blogging to look for attention in their lives, don't be so ready to seek out their opposers, who are usually just as extreme, just as ridiculous and usually trying to flog their wares to a section of men(usually US men) who are feeling confused and angry about some matters in the modern world.

Good points Wibbs. Yes from a further look at that website it would seem he is not without his own agendas. He must be getting a lot of backs up if he is getting first page google for the SJW term.
    I'm generally more middle of the road myself but I guess these SJW folk bring out the right in me when I see how they behave and the refusal to contemplate that they might be doing more bad than good in a given situation.

Oh they do, but they tend to keep quiet, or are on toothless committees in colleges and the like. They tend to get heartily laughed at in the wild. This is a good thing.

Well not quite. http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/11/03/sexual-harassment-policy-that-nearly-ruined-life/hY3XrZrOdXjvX2SSvuciPN/story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭SeanW

The scary thing is that there are likely to be some people (i.e. feminists and/or leftists) who would consider that to be justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Radly wrote: »
    I'm generally more middle of the road myself but I guess these SJW folk bring out the right in me when I see how they behave and the refusal to contemplate that they might be doing more bad than good in a given situation.

Tell me about it :( And I've voted when I had the chance for Eamon McMcann (might disagree with some of his stuff but he actually has some belief and guts unlike other fellow travellers)

Oh sure B, but again that's America. This extreme daftness seems to be a way to get the "left" into the mainstream. They can't call it leftist, that's too "reds under the bed", so it comes in as "liberal". On the other side you have your Tea Party types. It can be a culture of extremes. What we might experience ins Ireland or in Europe in general is less of an extreme(though some of the Scandinavian left can be near farcically daft). In law and social attitudes. Even in the US there is a huge difference between ivy league and ivory tower liberals and the culture outside those gates. The extreme just seems to have more traction because they shout the loudest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I thought tumblr was created to keep these people in one place and away from the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭DeadHand

In summary...

Practice commonsense, moderation, avoid extremes on both sides and, when in doubt, listen to Wibbs.

DeadHand wrote: »
    Practice commonsense...listen to Wibbs.
    Does not compute... :eek::D

Oh sure B, but again that's America. This extreme daftness seems to be a way to get the "left" into the mainstream. They can't call it leftist, that's too "reds under the bed", so it comes in as "liberal". On the other side you have your Tea Party types. It can be a culture of extremes. What we might experience ins Ireland or in Europe in general is less of an extreme(though some of the Scandinavian left can be near farcically daft). In law and social attitudes. Even in the US there is a huge difference between ivy league and ivory tower liberals and the culture outside those gates. The extreme just seems to have more traction because they shout the loudest.
    It's a place where an awful lot of people have to pass through however, and get shaped by. It applies to more than just the Ivy league schools. Remember yer one claimed the Duke University Lacrosse team raped her? It doesn't take much to find stuff from Irish people about "rape culture" and all the rest either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement