Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Check your mustasche privilege" - annual New Statesman anti-movember crusade

Options
  • 04-11-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

I like the New Statesman - it has good articles in it sometimes. But every November it appears to lose the run of itself and get extremely upset at the idea of men growing a patch of hair on their faces to raise money for mens cancer charities.

A quick link to cast your mind back to the thread on their efforts in this regard last year, ya bunch of mustachioed sexist racists!

This year they've toned it down somewhat, and merely want it done away with because one of their intrepid journalists can't grow a mustasche and feels left out.

The article unironically ends with the sentence "check your moustache privilege".

Is it just me, or does it strike ye as strange that the NS would have so little news to report on that they feel the need to work themselves up about a bunch of men raising money for illnesses they themselves might face in the future? The whole thing is a bit odd...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Check out the article from the Link by the male feminist who thinks prostate cancer is a sign of privilege.

Check out the article from the Link by the male feminist who thinks prostate cancer is a sign of privilege.

everything about that article makes my brain hurt :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Daft to bitch about cancer research and awareness. If Movember helps it helps but looking like Tom Selleck is arrrrghhhhhhhhhhh, not that, no no nooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Daft to bitch about cancer research and awareness. If Movember helps it helps but looking like Tom Selleck is arrrrghhhhhhhhhhh, not that, no no nooooooo
    Is looking like hitler ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

this years one was a bit of fun. but last years one sounded like a a genuine rant about how culturally insensitive all us white people are by growing mustaches and calling it 'fun' I can only hope that last years one was actually a really well written tongue in cheek 'check yo privilege' article - part of me is afraid that it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I can't see it anywhere. What's the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I can't see it anywhere. What's the link?

This one
    - hope you're in a good mood or drinking something strong!

Or this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Ballachingly stereotypical 'liberals' take time out from writing for the Guardian to write for The New Statesman. Nothing really shocking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Foxhound38 wrote: »

This one
    - hope you're in a good mood or drinking something strong!
    With large numbers of minority-ethnic men—for instance Kurds, Indians, Mexicans—sporting moustaches as a cultural or religious signifier, Movember reinforces the “othering” of “foreigners” by the generally clean-shaven, white majority

Only reassuring thing about that piece is clicking on the 'more by this author' which renders no more content. Thank fuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

smash wrote: »

w2buk0.png

Note: This is a joke. I don't think you are a loser. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Anyone who uses the phrase, "check your xxxxx privilege", should be tarred and feathered. Gobsh1tes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I fucking hate social justice warriors. Well intentioned but terribly misguided morons with no other arguments other than what amounts to absolute cultural separation. They're their own worst enemies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Imagine if some bloke wrote an article and complained about breast cancer awareness in the same manner.

Career over guaranteed.

What is my mustache privilege anyway? That I'm not generally expected to have one? I'm not very good at growing one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

What an absolute idiot. Normally I wouldn't wish ill on someone for their insensitive stupidity but the writer of that article would try anyones patience.

Imagine if some bloke wrote an article and complained about breast cancer awareness in the same manner.

Career over guaranteed.

I've come across some SJWs who reckon certain cancers are "cisgender privileges".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I've come across some SJWs who reckon certain cancers are "cisgender privileges".

What exactly would one have to do to summon such people? They don't generally exist in the wild, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

why bother researching cancer? we already know about cancer. why not research something sweet like sunglasses that shoot lasers?

why bother researching cancer? we already know about cancer. why not research something sweet like sunglasses that shoot lasers?

you been listening to doug stanhope? if so, i approve :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

smash wrote: »
    He was only trying to look like Charlie Chaplin

and besides he killed Hitler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I guess I must be some kind of unconscionable bigot because I had to look up what the hell cisgender means :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Personally, I think it's great to see other cancer charities get their time in the spotlight.

Doesn't prostate and testicular cancer affect more people than breast cancer? Yet there's so much done about that.

While I'm at it, where's SKIN cancer month? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the cancer that kills most of us? I know at least 2 people with it.

I think skin cancer is the most common type but breast cancer is still the biggest killer overall. Prostate and testicular cancer are the biggest killers amongst men.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 tomleykis

Career over guaranteed.

Good point. Why do you think this kind of idiocy goes on? It seems to be getting more and more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

As a point of interest, I'm not sure Statoil, one of their biggest online advertisers, whose public relations and advertising manager called Jannik Lindbæk jr. and can be contacted through the e-mail address here will be happy to find out that the magazine thinks that raising money for cancer charities is "Bullshit."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I think skin cancer is the most common type but breast cancer is still the biggest killer overall. Prostate and testicular cancer are the biggest killers amongst men.

Thanks, I was just going on what I thought I'd read! I'm supposed to be writing an essay on the merits of radiocarbon dating right now so I decided not to pile more research on myself :pac:

Well those facts are off the top of my head but I think they're relatively accurate

Iirc the most lethal cancers are the internal ones like pancreatic cancer. Once it's detected one is pretty much already dead. Cheery thoughts at this time of night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah that's just a tame rant by someone who doesn't have facial hair growing on his upper lip. As someone who's sideburns and goatee seem to have had a massive falling out I can sympathise. However is the NS just offering itself as a platform for people ranting these days?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    What exactly would one have to do to summon such people? They don't generally exist in the wild, do they?
    Oh they do, but they tend to keep quiet, or are on toothless committees in colleges and the like. They tend to get heartily laughed at in the wild. This is a good thing.

Media has more of them, in particular the print media, but online media is stuffed with these morons. They find it easy to be louder on a platform that protects them(generally). This goes for any of the extremist types. They also make for fantastic click bait so advertisers love them and ask for more of their guff. They tend to support each other in a clusterfcuk of pingbacks and tweets and the like. This makes these morons believe their opinions are worth more than they actually are.

Signs of the type are phrases like above mentioned "cisgender", patriarchy/matriarchy, privilege, "trigger warning"(cos they're so damned sensitive and weak they pop like a soap bubble at the merest touch), "offence" is strong with them and they actively seek it out. They have no gender, they're to be found among "feminist" and "mens rights" bloggists in equal measure. They do tend to be white and middle class mind you, which is the greatest irony as they actively hate themselves. I call them twats.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement