Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland loses out as Japanese whisky named best in the world

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jim (Beam) me up Scotty
    Shouldn't the Jim be in brackets, and not beam?

Don't you feel like a fool?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I've only started drinking whiskey in the past two or three months, but I love the stuff now. I haven't tried anything Japanese yet, the only one in my local is €8 a shot. I do hope to get my own bottle of something soon, maybe a Lagavulin. I haven't tried a Glenfiddich or Glenlivet yet though and they're both cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Scottish Whisky Association as of today no longer recognise Jim Muarry's Whisky Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

The 1996 Sashamoto Faugavalach has an absolutely transcendent nose, complemented by subtle laburnum overtones with a subtly arousing quasi-herbal finish, reminiscent of, but totally dissimiliar to the 1904 Shinamilla Lagavourneen single malt,unfortunately , none of you can try it as me and my mate finished off the last bottle in my local last week-lovely with Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'll just stick to my JAMESON IRISH WHISKEY thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭omega man

Bill Murray in lost in translation springs to mind.....

"Suntory time" ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The 12 year old single malt yamazaki is incredible, would love to give the sherry cask version a try, anywhere in dublin sell it by the shot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The 12 year old single malt yamazaki is incredible, would love to give the sherry cask version a try, anywhere in dublin sell it by the shot?

The 12 year old hibiki is incredible, check that out if you get a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Joe prim wrote: »
    The 1996 Sashamoto Faugavalach has an absolutely transcendent nose, complemented by subtle laburnum overtones with a subtly arousing quasi-herbal finish, reminiscent of, but totally dissimiliar to the 1904 Shinamilla Lagavourneen single malt,unfortunately , none of you can try it as me and my mate finished off the last bottle in my local last week-lovely with Coke.

I must be doing it wrong, all whiskey tastes like fire to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Shouldn't the Jim be in brackets, and not beam?

Don't you feel like a fool?

Brackets Nazi!

• Advertisement

Somehow, ''a Japanese on the rocks, dosent have the same ring to it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

Jake1 wrote: »
    Somehow, ''a Japanese on the rocks, dosent have the same ring to it..

Just ask for an Iwo Jima

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Scotch is a sham and Japanese scotch is a rip off of a sham.

You want a decent whiskey for a reasonable price, don't look past red breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I must be doing it wrong, all whiskey tastes like fire to me.
    Flat red lemonade is the key. Or Miwadi Orange if you're adventurous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Lyaiera wrote: »
    ...I haven't tried a Glenfiddich or Glenlivet yet though and they're both cheaper.

There's a reason for that...

Flat red lemonade is the key. Or Miwadi Orange if you're adventurous.

This post makes my teeth itch :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Anyone able to locate a bottle?

I've been looking the last few days but everywhere I found is sold out, few places in the UK, Spain and France is all I was able to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If it's wet and alcoholic, I'll give it a shot or two.

If it's wet and alcoholic, I'll give it a shot or two.

What about a dry martini? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Links234 wrote: »
    What about a dry martini? :)

As long as she gets my jokes, it's all good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm not much of a man for spirits but I will have the odd hot toddy at the colder end of the orbit.

Story time.

Last December I had a challenging chest infection that worsened to become painful pleurisy - it felt like I had broken glass wedged in my right lung. Naturally my illness required medication of the pharmaceutical type which I decided to supplement with medicine of the folk type in the form of hot toddys.

I got myself a cheap bottle of Tesco own brand whiskey, thinly sliced a couple of lemons, carefully rolling up each slice and pushing it through the neck of the bottle, to this I added a generous handful of whole cloves. I left the lemon and cloves to infuse the whiskey for a couple of days and ended up with a delicious elixir that made exquisite hot toddys when a drop of boiling water and teaspoon of brown sugar was added.

Mmmm medicine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Links234 wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11204872/Scotland-loses-out-as-Japanese-whisky-named-best-in-the-world.html

So, for relaxing times... ;)

Not really susprising though, I think Japan has been making some of the best whiskeys ever! Me and a friend drank our local out of the Nikka Coffee Grain whiskey a while back :p

Bonus, some pics of the distillery via reddit: http://imgur.com/a/Cm27A

Funnily enough the last time I went drinking with work I did the same thing to that whiskey(Nikka Coffey Grain)!

Very nice.

Advertisement