Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Trade Centre opens for business

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Kersh wrote: »
    Delighted the NYC skyline is starting to look good again.

There is a residential tower almost as tall, and taller than Empire State, just up the road :pac:

Measuring roof height, and ignoring "top-off spires" this one is taller than 1 WTC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/432_Park_Avenue

I reckon that one is topped out or just about to be,however 432 is going to be dwarfed by other Towers on 57th st pretty soon, in particular the nordstrom Tower which is aiming for a height of 1775 ft (with spire).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Kersh wrote: »
    Delighted the NYC skyline is starting to look good again.

There is a residential tower almost as tall, and taller than Empire State, just up the road :pac:

Measuring roof height, and ignoring "top-off spires" this one is taller than 1 WTC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/432_Park_Avenue

There's another residential one downtown also. Incredible building, amazing to think one that size is purely residential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_Spruce_Street

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

crockholm wrote: »
    I reckon that one is topped out or just about to be,however 432 is going to be dwarfed by other Towers on 57th st pretty soon, in particular the nordstrom Tower which is aiming for a height of 1775 ft (with spire).
    Freedom tower is 1776 feet tall (with spire) to commemorate the 1776 US declaration of independence by the continental congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I can understand a new design, with moving on and building something more modern, even if I do prefer the original. Though, the old ones looking better had a lot to do with the relative height, I think. They had two towers the same height as the new One WTC, but they were much bigger than what was around it, with 110 floors. The other five WTCs were less than 30 (one was only five or six) and the neighbouring complexes would've only been around 50 or 60. Now, you have one 104 floor tower, one 79 floor (the top of the roof of which is only about a hundred feet below the other), one 80 floor, one 74 floor. So, the big one doesn't dwarf its surroundings as the old ones did.

But I think they should have had twin towers again. Digital images of twin towers based on the new design look great.

bear1 wrote: »
    I read that the new tower is something like 1300 feet and then they put a 400 foot spire at the top.

Pretty much the same as the old North Tower. 1,368ft to the roof, 1,729ft to the top of the antenna. The South Tower, with no spire, was 1,362ft in height.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Cabitt: excuse my ignorance but im not sure what you are trying to tell me/us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

Lizards, lizards everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Don't get drunk with this person?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Freedom tower lol. Sounds like something out of team America world police.

And knowing the Americans and their penchant for being terrified of everything, I bet there is still no 13th floor and all the clocks skip from 9:10 to 9:12, and a bunch of other superstitious crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I went up the old WTC in May 2001. Waited about an hour in a queue, then had my bag searched. I shudder to think what the security arrangements will be like for the new WTC's observation deck, once it opens. I expect the search to be even more strict than when getting on a plane in the USA, including ID checks.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

It's not actually called that is it? One World Trade Centre now.

1776 feet tall is pathetically American enough as it is.

It was originally supposed to be called Freedom Tower but the cretins in Congress who spent 1 million of taxpayers' money debating a motion to rename French Fries "Freedom Fries", when the French didn't go along with America to destroy Iraq in revenge for this sh!t, probably caused enough embarrassment to shelve that stupid-ass name.

• Advertisement

What millions of lives did New York State destroy?

Well if you really want to nitpick then how about the millions of Iraqi, Afghan, Yemeni....and currently Syrian, Libyan, Somali and Pakistani lives who have been taken in the aftermath of the World Trade Centre attack by Pentagon beauties such as Raytheon, General Electric, Boeing, Northrupp Grumman, and a plethora of others who make their millions right down there just off Broad Street.

If Americans are going to shed their usual crocodile tears about sh1t like this then people like you ought to recognise a bit of self-centred hypocrisy when you see it.

If a bunch of Irish Republicans hoisted flags and built a monument to their dead you'd have no problem in asking how much money they'd donate to the victims of their killings.

bnt wrote: »
    I went up the old WTC in May 2001. Waited about an hour in a queue, then had my bag searched. I shudder to think what the security arrangements will be like for the new WTC's observation deck, once it opens. I expect the search to be even more strict than when getting on a plane in the USA, including ID checks.

So searching a bag is going to protect a skyskraper? :pac::pac:

It's tax money paid to an illiterate employed by a private corporation who pay him $7.75 an hour and charge the taxpayers $100 an hour.

Plus he must buy his own uniform. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Id say they would be haunted to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

At least they won't have to knock this one down to sort out the Asbestos problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Egginacup wrote: »
    1776 feet tall is pathetically American enough as it is.

It was originally supposed to be called Freedom Tower but the cretins in Congress who spent 1 million of taxpayers' money debating a motion to rename French Fries "Freedom Fries", when the French didn't go along with America to destroy Iraq in revenge for this sh!t, probably caused enough embarrassment to shelve that stupid-ass name.
    If this tower was built in Russia it would be the greatest thing ever to you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I like the new tower. It's unashamedly modern and striking. The memorial for the victims of 9/11 is also very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

seamus wrote: »
    In reality apart from their height, they weren't exactly nice-looking buildings, just two sticks poking up into the air.

I loved them. Very aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. Great proportions, attractive window design, well balanced bands around two different points on the buildings.

Advertisement