Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Trade Centre opens for business

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd say there are air marshalls operating within the US to stop this sort of threat.
    I'd doubt they would be allowed to travel internationally with guns on board.

There are, but its very few.
    Myth 4. Federal air marshals are on many flights.

Far from it. While a FAM could be on your next flight, don't bet on it.

"There are around 30,000 commercial flights per day over the U.S.," says Casaretti. "If you were to attempt to place a team of just two FAMs on each flight, it would require an agency of over 75,000 FAMs (accounting for training and days off). FAMs cover a very small percentage of commercial flights."

Which flight air marshals get on is determined by a computer program that assesses the probability of threat based on the aircraft, departure and destination cities, as well as the amount of fuel on board. This is the threat matrix that comes out of the missions operation center.

The TSA will not release statistics on the number of air marshals. TSA's Pascarella acknowledges only "many thousands." But Biles estimates that there are approximately 3,300 FAMs and of those, 34% are filling ground assignments in training, operations and management.

"We call them 'chair marshals,' riding out their career in management," says Biles. That leaves 66% of the workforce to perform in-flight security duties.

From Myths about Air Marshals.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2014/08/07/5-myths-about-air-marshals/13724331/

So it depends on where you are flying from or to in the US, and even then there might not be an Air Marshal on board, unless its deemed a very high risk flight by their risk calculations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Who actually paid for the construction of the towers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Who actually paid for the construction of the towers?

Investors, local authorities, the Government, taxpayers...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was in NYC a few days ago and passed by the new WTC. A lot of construction work still ongoing in that area obviously, but the new buildings look well.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

the_monkey wrote: »
    I doubt it, I remember just after 9/11/2001 people thought the days of the tall building were over - that fear quickly dissapated.

There is no real threat of this type of attack ever happening again - at least in US Airspace, not with tight airport security and Air Marshalls aboard the planes.

Considering this so called tight security and Air Marshall's haven't thwarted a single attack, I'd say they are either pretty useless or the whole terrorist threat is completely overblown farce.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

mike_ie wrote: »
    It wouldn't be an issue either way - plane would most likely be shot down before it ever got near the city. Had it happened before 9/11, of course there would be a huge outcry, but there's precedent now, those on board would be hailed as heroes for making the ultimate sacrifice, and that would be the end of it.

Why shoot it down when you can let it crash and then blame Putin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Great! we are being robbed again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Delighted the NYC skyline is starting to look good again.

There is a residential tower almost as tall, and taller than Empire State, just up the road :pac:

Measuring roof height, and ignoring "top-off spires" this one is taller than 1 WTC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/432_Park_Avenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Kersh wrote: »
    Delighted the NYC skyline is starting to look good again.

There is a residential tower almost as tall, and taller than Empire State, just up the road :pac:

Measuring roof height, and ignoring "top-off spires" this one is taller than 1 WTC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/432_Park_Avenue

Nothing like the NYC skyline !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Freedom tower lol. Sounds like something out of team America world police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I had a couple of days in New York at the start of last month staying in a really, really ****ty hotel in Chinatown. Only thing the hotel had going for it though was an amazing view of the new tower. I think it'll go on to be as iconic as the old towers were. It is a very impressive looking building in the 'flesh'.

The new memorial is really classy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

They freed Iraq, didn't they?!

Edit*

Actually, the Afghanistan war was called Operation Enduring Freedom.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I had a couple of days in New York at the start of last month staying in a really, really ****ty hotel in Chinatown. Only thing the hotel had going for it though was an amazing view of the new tower. I think it'll go on to be as iconic as the old towers were. It is a very impressive looking building in the 'flesh'.

The new memorial is really classy as well.

If I ever got a chance to visit New York I think it would be the main thing I'd want to see. The memorial that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Originally read that as World Trade CENTRA opens for business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Watched a documentary there a while back about the progress of the new buildings. The architect planned some crazy stuff to do with the way the shadows will fall at the exact time the original towers fell. Can't remember what it was and couldn't be arsed looking it up but I'm glad there's something interesting there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It's not actually called that is it? One World Trade Centre now.

smash wrote: »
    Watched a documentary there a while back about the progress of the new buildings. The architect planned some crazy stuff to do with the way the shadows will fall at the exact time the original towers fell. Can't remember what it was and couldn't be arsed looking it up but I'm glad there's something interesting there now.

I'm trying to find this documentary as it sounds pretty cool... can't find the bastard anywhere :/

EDIT: Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8epA4EirjR8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The doc is on the US Netflix I think. Either that or a similar one is. Might be on a few of the other Netflix stores too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm trying to find this documentary as it sounds pretty cool... can't find the bastard anywhere :/

EDIT: Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8epA4EirjR8
    Could be. I'm sure there's a hundred documentaries now. It was on History or Discover channel when I watched it.

I'm pretty sure this is it: http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/the-rising/rebuilding-ground-zero-videos and I think this is a the bit I was talking about http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/the-rising/rebuilding-ground-zero-videos/rebuilding-ground-zero-wedge-of-light.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Egginacup wrote: »
    Shame they didn't rebuild the innocent countries and millions of lives they destroyed in their quest for revenge.

What millions of lives did New York State destroy?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Mr_Red wrote: »
    I wonder if it will be haunted

Well reading some of the reports from the construction workers the place is crawling with spirits who have not yet moved on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

Ah yes, all is right in the World again. It may have taken 13 years but the trade centre is back in business. While America was waiting to show off their freedom they decided to flatten 2 countries. The great old US of A, the land of the free - free to do whatever the **** they want. They'll bomb anyone who stands in their way. FREEDOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

The name though, 'Freedom Tower', is a bit cringeworthy - hope it doesn't get permanently dubbed that.

They should go with French Tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

It is a triumph that this tower has been constructed, a real statement of resolution which should be a beacon of pride to U.S. citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great news, its a real nice looking building in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

New tower - nice. Not as iconic as the old twin towers, but there you go. One argument against rebuilding the original designs, I suppose, would be that they would act as a constant reminder of the events of that day - the pain felt by the families, residents, and people around the world. It might make people feel bad rather than good, like they are replacing the old towers like nothing happened.

If you lived at the top of the residential one you'd hardly be able to open your windows, would you??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Not without my hang glider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

They freed Iraq, didn't they?!

Edit*

Actually, the Afghanistan war was called Operation Enduring Freedom.

Yeah for sure they did a stand up job in Iraq :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Beautiful tower, and a massive fúck you to the terrorist scumbags who blew up the previous towers. May God bless her and all who sail in her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

What beliefs are they?

Buddhism :rolleyes:

Advertisement