Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan The Conquer

Options
  • 04-11-2014 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

What more does the Man need to do ? Without a doubt the best Jockey applying his craft in the world today. He took the Cox plate on Adelaide and Now the Melbourne cup on a German horse. People can hold on to what Dettori did while working for Godolphin. but what Ryan is doing is much Harder. Freelance is much harder to do VS Ridding for the richest owners in the sport. Congrats Ryan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

5 years since he's won the flat jockey's title.

just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Stupid statement

He gave up this years title to win big races overseas. He has no interest in the title. I bet Richard Hughes would gladly swap places with him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Yeah totally different kettle of fish. If you think Hughes or Hanagan is a better jockey because of the titles id take a different angle.

What would you rather, a treble at a course like Bath on a Tuesday or a Melbourne Cup. Moore wins classics, something Hughes has a real lack of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

just sayin.

Kieran O'Connell is the best tipster in the world by that logic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

great jockey but still a long way short of what dettori or kinane has achived but he has time on his side. Frankies ride the other night was a brilliant ride, moores was a stearing job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

great jockey but still a long way short of what dettori or kinane has achived but he has time on his side. Frankies ride the other night was a brilliant ride, moores was a stearing job

Lets see Frankie rode for Godolphin for 20 years and has done very little since being fired. Kinane rode for Coolmore and Oxx. Ryan is winning big races all over the world in multiple hemispheres. while ridding FREELANCE. Kinane and Dettori couldn't do that while ridding for the top two stables in the world.

just sayin.

Cox Plate,Melbourne cup double or the British jockey tittle ? Hmm the Jockey title is worth nothing but a trophy while the Cox plate/Mel cup is worth A$552,000/ £301,007 which would you chose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Lets see Frankie rode for Godolphin for 20 years and has done very little since being fired. Kinane rode for Coolmore and Oxx. Ryan is winning big races all over the world in multiple hemispheres. while ridding FREELANCE. Kinane and Dettori couldn't do that while ridding for the top two stables in the world.

Lets not go over board here. Moore is a top class jockey but your going on like nobody would of rode those horses to win. No doubt about it that Kinane, Dettori and Murtagh at there peak would of also won on Adelaide and Protectionist.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Lets not go over board here. Moore is a top class jockey but your going on like nobody would of rode those horses to win. No doubt about it that Kinane, Dettori and Murtagh at there peak would of also won on Adelaide and Protectionist.

Are you serious ? Really ? so were going to play the coulda,shoulda, woulda game ? So since I'm going overboard on showing Ryan proper respect none of the 3 guys you've listed could hold or shine Lesters Boots. Dettori , Murtagh and Kinane combine were not half the jockey Lester was. as you said "let's not go overboard here"

Are you serious ? Really ? so were going to play the coulda,shoulda, woulda game ? So since I'm going overboard on showing Ryan proper respect none of the 3 guys you've listed could hold or shine Lesters Boots. Dettori , Murtagh and Kinane combine were not half the jockey Lester was. as you said "let's not go overboard here"

I never said they were :confused: You come across as giving Moore more credit just because he is freelance, which doesnt make him a better jockey. My point was any jockey worth there salt would of rode the horses I mentioned to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Why isn't Moore #1 at Ballydoyle? Is it a case of him turning it down or them not offering enough?

I never said they were :confused: You come across as giving Moore more credit just because he is freelance, which doesnt make him a better jockey. My point was any jockey worth there salt would of rode the horses I mentioned to win.

I've been in and around this sport for the better part of 25 years and I've never seen a non stable rider do what he has done. Dettori seems to be having a hard time ridding freelance or semi freelance given that his current boss doesn't even put him on his best horse. How has Keiren Fallon found the freelance life ? Not so good if you ask me in fact he has done so horrible ridding freelance that he is going to Santa Anita on a retirement run. when you're a stable rider you have everything handed to you. Freelance is a much harder life. Pat Smullen is another one. Take away Dermot Weld and where would he be ? Fallon,Murtagh,Dettori,Kienan are no Piggott,Eddery or Carson. Piggott Eddery and Carson dominated with and without the aid of powerful stables.

DylanAFC wrote: »
    Why isn't Moore #1 at Ballydoyle? Is it a case of him turning it down or them not offering enough?

1. He doesn't want to ride in Ireland
    2. He want's to only ride in big racers
    3. The daily grind of racing is not what he wants. He would rather ride all over the world instead of ridding 5 at the Curragh or at Newmarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Just because you have been in the industry for 25 years does not mean your opinion is correct.

I happen to think Moore will go on to be one of the best ever. He's certainly the best around now anyway. It's no coincidence that the two big 3yo's this season suffered their first defeats of the season to a horse ridden by Moore.

andyman wrote: »
    Just because you have been in the industry for 25 years does not mean your opinion is correct.

I happen to think Moore will go on to be one of the best ever. He's certainly the best around now anyway. It's no coincidence that the two big 3yo's this season suffered their first defeats of the season to a horse ridden by Moore.

And nor Have I said that my opinion is correct. what I did offer is my personal opinion. Notice I said ''I've been in and around this sport for the better part of 25 years and I've never seen a non stable rider do what he has done''

Yes, but you're very dismissive of other opinions regarding the likes of Dettori and Kinane.

I've been in and around this sport for the better part of 25 years and I've never seen a non stable rider do what he has done. Dettori seems to be having a hard time ridding freelance or semi freelance given that his current boss doesn't even put him on his best horse. How has Keiren Fallon found the freelance life ? Not so good if you ask me in fact he has done so horrible ridding freelance that he is going to Santa Anita on a retirement run. when you're a stable rider you have everything handed to you. Freelance is a much harder life. Pat Smullen is another one. Take away Dermot Weld and where would he be ? Fallon,Murtagh,Dettori,Kienan are no Piggott,Eddery or Carson. Piggott Eddery and Carson dominated with and without the aid of powerful stables.

Dettori and Fallon are well past there best. Moore is the best in the business currently thats why he is getting all the top rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Mods should set up a poll. Ryan Moore now or Frankie in his prime :):):)

Yes, but you're very dismissive of other opinions regarding the likes of Dettori and Kinane.

In the course of having an opinion that's bound to happen is it not ? I state my opinion and others states theirs. I 've never called those jockeys horrible. I simply listed others who were better. that's not being dismissive that's stating the facts.

What is stating the facts? Stating which jockeys you think are better?

I agree with the point that Moore is the best right now, but to say he's better than the likes of Frankie in his prime because the latter is past it now is nonsense. Moore has plenty of time to prove he is one of the best ever.

• Advertisement

Dettori and Fallon are well past there best. Moore is the best in the business currently thats why he is getting all the top rides.

That maybe true but I also think its also a case of them resting on their laurels. Frankie thinks his name and fame can still carry him despite him under performing on the track. It's not a good look when you're the number one stable rider to Al Shaqab and yet you can't ride Treve. and Fallon I don't know what happened to him. he just faded away. I don't know what he hopes to accomplish at Santa Anita but he won't ride for Baffert,Sadler, or any of the other top trainers in California.

What is stating the facts? Stating which jockeys you think are better?

I agree with the point that Moore is the best right now, but to say he's better than the likes of Frankie in his prime because the latter is past it now is nonsense. Moore has plenty of time to prove he is one of the best ever.

Stating the facts doesn't just consist of what I believe but the numbers also support my statements. The numbers are there for a reason. When Franke was in his prime he rode for the richest owner in the history of the sport. Ryan has never had that type of support. and another thing. has Frankie ever been considered the consensus pick for the best jockey in the world ? Ryan had American announcers calling him the best. this morning In Australia they were calling him the best. I don't recall anybody outside of England calling Frankie the best in the world. prime or no prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

On the contrary I think moore being freelance is less of a handicap and more of a positive. Would he have ridden many more group winners this year if he was no.1 at ballydoyle?

Gregk961 wrote: »
    On the contrary I think moore being freelance is less of a handicap and more of a positive. Would he have ridden many more group winners this year if he was no.1 at ballydoyle?

That's true. Being freelance has its positive and negative sides just as being a stable rider has its positive and negative side. for some reason people are obsessed with Ryan becoming stabled with Ballydoyle but the flip side of that is the current situation at Godolphin. they have De souza and Barzalona and yet I don't see them winning any G1's. maybe its the pressure or maybe its the lack of talent. But with Godolphin being the richest owners in the history of the sport they can't seem to figure it out.

Spot on. He isnt tied down like other jocks and any owner/top trainer who wants to give there horse the best chance to win will always try and book him.

That's true. Being freelance has its positive and negative sides just as being a stable rider has its positive and negative side. for some reason people are obsessed with Ryan becoming stabled with Ballydoyle but the flip side of that is the current situation at Godolphin. they have De souza and Barzalona and yet I don't see them winning any G1's. maybe its the pressure or maybe its the lack of talent. But with Godolphin being the richest owners in the history of the sport they can't seem to figure it out.

Godolphin are an absolute joke of an operation. Any decent horses they buy they always ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

I've been in and around this sport for the better part of 25 years

...and can't spell "riding"

Thud wrote: »
    ...and can't spell "riding"
    Don't drive and text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I just used Ballydoyle as an example, It goes the same for every stable it just happens that they are the most succesful.

As for Godolphin, do they even use De Sousa or Barzalona in the Uk and Ireland anymore? Id say I seen at least 15 different jockeys used this year, Kirby, Hughes, Doyle, Buick, Tylicki, Hardie, Lee all of the top of my head. Maybe Dettori deserves more credit here for all the success he had with them, or maybe the operation has just gone downhill in a big way.

• Advertisement

I just used Ballydoyle as an example, It goes the same for every stable it just happens that they are the most succesful.

As for Godolphin, do they even use De Sousa or Barzalona in the Uk and Ireland anymore? Id say I seen at least 15 different jockeys used this year, Kirby, Hughes, Doyle, Buick, Tylicki, Hardie, Lee all of the top of my head. Maybe Dettori deserves more credit here for all the success he had with them, or maybe the operation has just gone downhill in a big way.

I don't want to get into speculation but their greatest success over the past 5 years has come in Dubai, the country they rule. So I'll leave it at that. I'm not saying that they dope their horses in Dubai but for some reason their horses become monsters when they return to Dubai and even if they did dope their horses in Dubai it's unlikely that the public would ever know. because they rule the country.

Advertisement