Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a good alternative to Nescafe Gold Blend Coffee?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, I like Nescafe Gold Blend instant coffee but its a bit on the pricey side so looking for cheaper alternatives with same taste/ similar taste and aroma. - What are these coffee's like offered by the likes of ALDI and LIDL are they any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

eh... most people here don't drink instant coffee and would suggest you try coffee beans/grounds. A lot of us also spend a lot of money on grinders / machines/ coffee, so we are not very price-focused ( well, maybe we debate between 500 and 1000 euro machines) .

Hopefully an instant drinker will come along and help you, but don't hope for too much

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Tesco's own version of gold blend is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ive drank alot of instant coffee in the past and I alwas return to Carte Noir classic instant coffe as the best alternative to freshly ground coffee in my opinion. Dont get all the bolloxollogy about barista style instant coffees really, they look fancy but Im not gone on the taste.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Ditto economising and I'd also enjoy the Carte Noire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Jezek wrote: »
    eh... most people here don't drink instant coffee and would suggest you try coffee beans/grounds. A lot of us also spend a lot of money on grinders / machines/ coffee, so we are not very price-focused ( well, maybe we debate between 500 and 1000 euro machines) .

Hopefully an instant drinker will come along and help you, but don't hope for too much

Well hello Marie Antoinette, very helpful reply there:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ive yet to try coffee made with coffee beans and a machine that doesnt taste (and smell) like a dirty ol' ashtray - thats why i prefer instant. Does that make me too unrefined and common lol :D

Blimey - im beginning to think im not 'posh enough' (or rich enough!) for this group! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Millicano, much better than anything you'll ever get anywhere else, including the stuff you make yourself.

catallus wrote: »
    Millicano, much better than anything you'll ever get anywhere else, including the stuff you make yourself.

my daughter drinks that , has a tin of it - must try and see if I like it....

my daughter drinks that , has a tin of it - must try and see if I like it....

It's delish! And if you keep an eye out sometimes you can get the tins for 2 quid! Stock up. It's the best coffee anywhere.

• Advertisement

Its amazing the way people tastes vary from coffee to coffee. Pick something you like and drink it, thats all that matters in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I usually drink ground from a cafetiere or machine but drink instant from time to time as well - usually in work.

Carte Noir or Douwe Egberts are usually pretty good.
    Have to say I find Nescafe Gold Blend awful stuff.

gouche wrote: »
    ... Have to say I find Nescafe Gold Blend awful stuff.

Lovely aroma you get from Gold Blend when you pour on hot water from the kettle - smells like filter coffee done in a peculator...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Lovely aroma you get from Gold Blend - smells like filter coffee...

Great when you open the jar for the first time, but I think they spray the jar with an aroma before filling it..

homer911 wrote: »
    Great when you open the jar for the first time, but I think they spray the jar with an aroma before filling it..

no, i think its pretty consistant - obviously looses a bit of smell as time goes on which is understandable but still nice smell. i think when they first put it in jar i think they take all the air out of the jar then put the tin foil on top of the jar and then the lid...

dont like maxwell house instant ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Jeez speak for yourself.

Agree re Nescafe losing the nice smell once it's opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Nescafe Azera - best instant by a mile. It has a distinctive orange lid. There are different varieties: Americano, Intenso etc. Intenso is my own favourite.

(BTW it might be worth trying a French Press and a bag of freshly ground coffee - even as a treat.)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9122161/Trail/searchtext%3ECAFETIERE.htm

There will be a coffee shop supplying ground beans in your local town - ask for a small-ish bag of medium roast - €5.

blindsider wrote: »
    There will be a coffee shop supplying ground beans in your local town - ask for a small-ish bag of medium roast - €5.

LOL my budget is €1.50 - 2euro for a jar of instant coffee lol - if I had to pay a fiver id just buy a nescafe gold blend at nearly a fiver :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Instant coffee and coffee are different drinks. You may as well compare hot chocolate and tea.

/exits thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Instant coffee and coffee are different drinks. You may as well compare hot chocolate and tea.

/exits thread.

The OP was posted in food and drink and transferred here for some reason, I don't see why it shouldn't have stayed where it was originally put.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Lovely aroma you get from Gold Blend when you pour on hot water from the kettle - smells like filter coffee done in a peculator...

No, it does not. Enjoy it sure and I'm not being a coffee snob but it simply doesn't.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    No, it does not. Enjoy it sure and I'm not being a coffee snob but it simply doesn't.

Yes it does ...:)

Yes it does ...:)

It's a lovely smell, so it is :)

Don't mind 'em OP, they think anything that hasn't come through a cat's backside isn't authentic coffee. :rolleyes:

Btw, Azera is muck.

I love Maxwell House :p

Grabs coat and runs for door..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Post moved to more appropriate forum.
    Best of luck with your endeavours OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Btw, Azera is muck.[/QUOTE]

I agree tried it thinking it would be good but found it VERY insipid. Carte Noir is the only instant that is half decent in my opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

I used to drink Gold Blend all the time but found the escalating price a rip off! Changed to Lidl Granorom Columbian @ €1.99, Would never go back!

93Cab wrote: »
    I used to drink Gold Blend all the time but found the escalating price a rip off! Changed to Lidl Granorom Columbian @ €1.99, Would never go back!

Yeah I like Nescafe Gold Blend but your right the price has esculated on it. So if you reckon Lidl Granorom Columbian coffee is similar and just as nice I must give that a try - cheers

• Advertisement

Post moved to more appropriate forum.
    Best of luck with your endeavours OP.

weren't coffee & tea forum more appropriate??

Advertisement