Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you start your Christmas shopping?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I normally do mine Mid-November or the start of December. I normally have planned exactly what I am going to buy for who before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

I always start towards the end of August after my son's birthday and our holiday if we have one. I'm a single mum and money can be tight so it just makes sense to me. I have my little boy's main presents from Santa bought and wrapped - he wants Disney Infinity Marvel Heroes and another game and a surprise. He never asks for very much as he knows Santa can only carry so much per child but I always get a few extra bits and pieces. All I have left to get is stocking fillers,one game and a couple characters for the Infinity.

I also have to get a couple presents for me (the hardship! lol) as he got very upset a couple years ago that Santa brought me nothing but yet I'd been 'a good mammy' in his words so now Santa puts a few bits in a stocking for me, nothing expensive just a nail varnish or two and maybe some chocs or whatever.

I have 10 nephews and nieces to buy for too - this is a total pain as never know what to get them or that they'd like. Also some of them wilfully break every thing they are given so would not be wanting to get them expensive items even if I could afford it.Will get these nearer the time probably - we as a family have discussed not buying for each other's kids as there are too many and all find money tight as it is but there's always one who insists we buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

donna35 wrote: »
    I also have to get a couple presents for me (the hardship! lol) as he got very upset a couple years ago that Santa brought me nothing but yet I'd been 'a good mammy' in his words so now Santa puts a few bits in a stocking for me, nothing expensive just a nail varnish or two and maybe some chocs or whatever.

That is very sweet. Your son sounds adorable. :)

Novella wrote: »

Thank you he is - for now lol. Will probably hate me when he's a teenager though x

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Present for my mother, Kris Kindle with my sisters and vouchers for nieces and nephews.

Easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Novella wrote: »

I used to do that too. Santa would bring me a wee piece of costume jewellery or something nice that I had wanted to buy anyway and my boys loved that mammy had been a good girl too!

Witchie wrote: »
    I used to do that too. Santa would bring me a wee piece of costume jewellery or something nice that I had wanted to buy anyway and my boys loved that mammy had been a good girl too!

It is nice to get a pressie too, even though we're buying them for ourselves haha. I think I'll be doing a stocking for my mam from Santa too this year as we're back living at home for the minute and he'll be upset if she gets nothing from Santa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I start my Christmas shopping on the same day the majority of men start. Christmas eve.

So whatever is in Topaz that afternoon, that's what she's getting.

Nearly worked a charm last year. Gave the wife a car air freshener and some L plates. She was so happy, jumping for joy, kissed me; and then ran out to the driveway for some strange reason. Whatever happened after that, I don't know, but the mood dropped.

Suppose you can't please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't have any family and I got single recently. So far the only person I will buy gift is going to be me. December most likely.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will probably start this month - order stuff from Amazon and get it delivered to my mam's in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Going to start this week.

I've one daughter and a godson to splash out on.

For the Mrs, I give her money so she can get what she likes. I know to many this may sound unromantic, but she says that's what she prefers, so who am I to argue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm hoping to get shopping pretty soon. There are only four of us in the family, and normally we just exchange wishlists and everyone's happy. For once I've got all my saving done, so for the first year ever I'm chomping at the bit to get hold of the lists and get everything bought.

I have a few ideas for my boyfriend's gift but his birthday is soon so I've to get that out of the way first.

I love Christmas shopping though; it makes me so happy :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

In my head I started back in September and have a good few stocking filler presents bought as well as one or two of the big ones.
    In reality it'll all be the first 2 weeks of December like it is every year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Usually have it done by now but this year I have nothing. I only have one thing picked out but that's been picked out ages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Feck buying presents for others. More presents for me! And yes I'm serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cripesonfriday

Christmas eve, it's become a tradition.

I get up, go and have breakfast in a cafe, then buy presents for wife and family, two,maybe three hours and done, then a pub lunch and two pints, then home and wrap them.

My wife is in charge of the Santa presents, which are being bought over the next month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

usually the last Friday before xmas....why rush in sooner...its not like I know what im gonna get??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Presents are the bane of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Nah that's too much effort. I say spend.

I usually start mid December, and finish approximately 2 hours later. It is all about timing. You need a weekday when universities and schools are still operating. Then go between 10-3.30. I have actually taken time off work to do this. Saves a load in stress.

Except for the mid-December part, this is also my M.O. I have a very specific list, arrange my trips(s) according to location, then choose the best day or days, depending on the number of locations required. Ideally I do some of it on a snowy day. I love walking home in the snow, carrying my shopping bags, then having a cup of tea as soon as I get in the door. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I've started mine since about 3 weeks ago. I love Christmas and the whole run up to it but like to have the stress of finding the "right" present finalised so I can enjoy the spirit of Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

August this year. All finished now. Usually I wait until a few days before Christmas and then panic buy

Advertisement