Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you start your Christmas shopping?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭

Had friend telling me other day she had all her presents bought since September!

I normally don't start mine till this month but Ive loads coming up in next few weeks so I'm kinda stressing over the taught of it!

Have another mate who ends up doing most of it on Christmas Eve!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Ive no kids, nieces or nephews, and my extended family and friends never do presents.
    So I pretty much have only two presents to buy, it's deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Sauve wrote: »
    Ive no kids, nieces or nephews, and my extended family and friends never do presents.
    So I pretty much have only two presents to buy, it's deadly!

Lol lucky u!

Decided to just go half's with me gf on most the presents this year so I'm hoping that makes things bit easier. Saying that I enjoy going into town before Christmas always good buzz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I try to start in September, and pick up a few presents here and there as the weeks go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

No children, only really buy for Mam and Dad, so fairly late in the year and the rest of them have too much as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The earlier you can do it the better. We do Kris Kindle now in my family which makes it much easier. Hoping to get it done before December but I usually don't keep my promises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When the limiting factor called "finances" allows. Usually later than I would like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It would be more in your line now to stop worshipping the false gods of consumerism and to tend to the fate of your soul.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

catallus wrote: »
    It would be more in your line now to stop worshipping the false gods of consumerism and to tend to the fate of your soul.

Nah that's too much effort. I say spend.

I usually start mid December, and finish approximately 2 hours later. It is all about timing. You need a weekday when universities and schools are still operating. Then go between 10-3.30. I have actually taken time off work to do this. Saves a load in stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Xmas Eve in a panic looking for something that could slightly resemble being called a present.

"Here, some shampoo............Penny's finest!..................I needed to use some for a shower before coming over"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

catallus wrote: »

I always leave these things to the last minute, so it will be only on my death bed that I renounce Satan and all his works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I have 9 nieces/nephews to buy for - I don't have a set time in buying them but if I happen to see something that I think they would like then I buy it regardless of when it is and will keep it for xmas. 5 of out that 9 also have birthdays in October so have to cover that to!! In saying that, I have all the kids presents sorted, also have both my parents covered, just the OH left to get for now and then a couple of close friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Got a good bit done online today. We also do Kris Kringle amongst my family. Pick out one person, limit is €150 and we usually write down a few things we would like so it makes it easier to get. Only buy for godchildren not all the nieces and nephews and that's limited to €40. Got OH a few weeks ago, now just our own 3 kids to sort out. No idea what to get them, 5,7 & 10, they have no idea what they want.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I have Amazon Prime free next day delivery so Christmas Shopping is easy mode.

I usually do it all on a lunch break some day mid December

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Last year I did most of it online, this year I intend to do all of it this way. So basically as soon as I know what I'm buying, I'll do it.

Whatever I can get online I will. Sometimes just like seeing things in the flesh!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I won't even be thinking of my Christmas shopping until December 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I like getting bits and pieces as I see them. I don't have that many people to buy for though and no kiddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Finished a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Ten minutes on Amazon/Apple done 2 months ago. They even wrap it for ya.

I'm looking forward to doing it now haha well kinda :-).

It just reminds me of when was kid used get day off school then go with me ma and brother into see santy then try get all our presents. Used to love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I start usually a few days after Christmas when things are on sale. Pick up a few things that I know someone will appreciate and things like stocking fillers for my sons. Then throughout the year if I see something that I think will work for someone I buy it. I have my sons main presents to get yet, 2 more kids to buy for and my Kris Kindle (my dad who is impossible to buy for) left and then am done. I bought some of my friends gifts (some beautiful guess jewellery on sale in Century 21 in New Jersey and some unusual pieces on street market off Times Square) when was in the States in September.

I love planning ahead and picking up things, only problem is I usually then end up going over the top coz see so many things that I want to buy for people!

I start usually a few days after Christmas when things are on sale. Pick up a few things that I know someone will appreciate and things like stocking fillers for my sons. Then throughout the year if I see something that I think will work for someone I buy it. I have my sons main presents to get yet, 2 more kids to buy for and my Kris Kindle (my dad who is impossible to buy for) left and then am done. I bought some of my friends gifts (some beautiful guess jewellery on sale in Century 21 in New Jersey and some unusual pieces on street market off Times Square) when was in the States in September.

I love planning ahead and picking up things, only problem is I usually then end up going over the top coz see so many things that I want to buy for people!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I've been picking up bits since mid September, I'm about 80% done at this stage... Feeling mega organised! But I will more than likely put off wrapping them and they sit in the back of the wardrobe forgotten about till Christmas eve night when I will have to try wrap them after coming in from the pub drunk as a skunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Santa shopping done today.
    Hope to have rest done by end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

Have all mine done since July bar one or two. Just the missus & the mother (can't forget the mammy can we?) to buy for. Got the 2 kids sorted in July when things are cheaper because I don't see the point in paying over the odds for presents in late November/early December. Would love to do it online but money's tight at the best of times what with reduced wages etc. do Kris Kringle with siblings & since they only buy ****e presents then I reciprocate. Not a huge fan of Xmas but herself & the kids are so that's me all snookered! 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I'm not doing presents this year, Christmas is all about the food for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Crumpets wrote: »

Apt username is apt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Crumpets wrote: »

You mean the spiritual food provided by the birth of Christ, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

Done with all the kids ptesents in September when they had 3 for 2 in argos. Just oh and parents left but I pretty much know what I need so shouldn't take more than an hour to get. Working in retail, hate shopping anyway especially around xmas time when it's crazy around the shops.

Advertisement