Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any circumstances you would consider renouncing your Irish citizenship?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Pehaps if Ireland left the EU and extreme fascism took over the government I would.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I have nothing to gain by doing so, so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It might be a life saver if ISIL lift you thinking your're a Brit or a Yank so nope !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I would if they started charging for water in Ireland. That's, like, humans rights, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Any practical reason whatsoever, money etc. I'm not one for patriotism me.

• Advertisement

Despite having lived more than 2/3rds of my life in Ireland, I would never take up citizenship. I am British and will be forever (at least until I get kidnapped by ISIS, in which case I will claim to be Irish, or in the event of a major soccer match between England and Ireland, I will revoke my britishness temporarily for 90 minutes).

Despite having lived more than 2/3rds of my life in Ireland, I would never take up citizenship. I am British and will be forever (at least until I get kidnapped by ISIS, in which case I will claim to be Irish, or in the event of a major soccer match between England and Ireland, I will revoke my britishness temporarily for 90 minutes).

I'm not convinced ISIL would release an Irish citizen tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If I wanted to take up Japanese citizenship, I would, in theory, have to give up my Irish citizenship, as dual nationality isn't allowed. How strictly these rules are applied/checked isn't clear though.

I don't have any interest in doing so anyway.

Macavity. wrote: »
    I'm not convinced ISIL would release an Irish citizen tbh.

Maybe but far less likely to be beheaded on YouTube.

Maybe but far less likely to be beheaded on YouTube.

Ah sure, I'd be dead anyway. Wouldn't have the capacity to care. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

josip wrote: »
    If Sinn Fein are elected to government

All very Ray Darcyesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Not about giving up your Irish citizenship, but your British one (if you have one).

I live in Taiwan and would like to move home at some stage (I'm from Northern Ireland). My Wife is Taiwanese. We also have two kids, though they have European passports, so that's not a problem.

If you're moving to a European country and you have a European passport, you have the right to travel with your family even if they aren't European. However, the country (or countries) where you hold citizenship can overrule this right (the UK in particular at the moment). I know of a few people with dual Irish-British citizenship that have given up their British citizenship so that they could move back to the UK with their non-European partner.

Luckily, Ireland is a lot more accepting of non-European family members, but unfortunately that doesn't help if you want to live in Northern Ireland (but again, you could get around this by giving up your British citizenship).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

If one Patrick Bartholemew Ahern was elected President of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Leave the country I'd understand (might do the same myself), but why renounce citizenship? ........

Likewise, oddly enough was discussing that with friends recently, more than likely sell up and go if the shinners get in.

If they were to start chasing up people up for tax etc abroad like US does with theirs (think the shinners are crazy enough to), Irish citizenship/passport would be gone in a flash.
    Hold others, so would make no difference.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You'd also be taking away your ability to travel and live freely in all other European countries, so never. I do plan on leaving Ireland for good in the future, but I'm sure I'll want to visit/holiday every once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Are there any circumstances you would consider renouncing your Irish citizenship?

Certainly. Though they'd have to be pretty serious issues to prompt that. For instance picture the world in the near future, let's say seven years after an alien invasion. Having arrived here in a generational ship (a converted asteroid in fact), they started their terror in Eurasia. Sweeping aside armies and massacring civilians. The war slowed pace as the aliens consolidated their new empire. Oh did I mention they bombed earth with surprise meteorites before landing? Well they did. They weren't that much more advanced than us, and them being fewer in number (although using lots of robots).

The humans managed a few large, pitched battles (think tactical nukes, masses of people hurriedly assembled fighting with remaining regular units on battlefields that stretched countries which the whole place burned) but the end was always the same. Faced with the collapse of human civilisation, the cowardly Irish government of the time strike a deal with the aliens and hand over the country and people willingly to the new rule, in exchange for a few pet comforts and perhaps the luck of being the last to be killed. If such a government arose, with such a backing of the population... well then I'd burn my passport man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You don't have to give up your Irish citizenship to become a US citizen, or to live there permanently. I've been one since 2009 and I did not have to renounce being a Paddy.

Advertisement