Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any circumstances you would consider renouncing your Irish citizenship?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Just wondering are there any circumstances, if it all, you would consider renouncing your Irish citizenship?

For example if I were to emigrate to the US or Australia, and live there for the rest of my life, that would open the door to possibly doing something like that. I would see no point in holding citizenships of countries I'm never going to live in again, and therefore I would just apply for citizenship of my new country and renounce my Irish one (I also have British citizenship so I would renounce that too). Of course that would therefore mean I would have to apply for visas to get back into Ireland if I ever wanted to visit.

Are there any circumstances in which you would consider renouncing your Irish citizenship? Even if you were to emigrate and never to return say?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

If I was told I'd get murdered if i didn't renounce my Irish citizenship. Otherwise, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No, as moving away from Ireland and never coming back is not among my plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Don't really see the point in renouncing something you have absolutely no control over.

Although if there was a zombie apocalypse and Britain was the only safe haven left for its own citizens I'd invoke my dual nationality. No need to renounce the Irish one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

If Sinn Fein are elected to government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

josip wrote: »
    If Sinn Fein are elected to government

Leave the country I'd understand (might do the same myself), but why renounce citizenship? If everyone did that we'd never get them out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Give up a European passport? No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

Leave the country I'd understand (might do the same myself), but why renounce citizenship? If everyone did that we'd never get them out again.

Yes, you're correct. I believe it's quite hard to renounce citizenship unless you have another one lined up.
    And unless you're young and move outside the EU that's quite difficult to do.
    So I would probably be restricted to moving to another EU country while keeping Irish citizenship.

As regards getting them out again, for me a country is defined by it's people.
    And a country where the majority of the people want Sinn Fein in power is not one I would care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I haven't been back to the US since I was 17, which was yer standard holiday, and I haven't lived there since I was 3. I have no intention of ever living there again.

I wouldn't give up my citizenship though, and to be honest, I know which embassy I would head to first in an emergency abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Don't really see the point in renouncing something you have absolutely no control over.

Although if there was a zombie apocalypse and Britain was the only safe haven left for its own citizens I'd invoke my dual nationality. No need to renounce the Irish one though.

Have you been to Abbey street lately? This has already happened.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just wondering are there any circumstances, if it all, you would consider renouncing your Irish citizenship?

For example if I were to emigrate to the US or Australia, and live there for the rest of my life, that would open the door to possibly doing something like that. I would see no point in holding citizenships of countries I'm never going to live in again, and therefore I would just apply for citizenship of my new country and renounce my Irish one (I also have British citizenship so I would renounce that too). Of course that would therefore mean I would have to apply for visas to get back into Ireland if I ever wanted to visit.

Why would you get rid of the Irish or UK citizenship in that case? It makes it useful things to have if ever travelling back to Ireland/ UK/ Europe. Only reason to get rid of it might be if they were about to bring back in national service or something. Otherwise it's not causing you any harm, and will only be of benefit to you when travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The official government form for renouncing Irish citizenship describes it as a "declaration of alienage".

That last word would get a round of applause on Countdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

No way I'm irish and that's all I want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

o1s1n wrote: »
    No, as moving away from Ireland and never coming back is not among my plans.

I am warning you now; if you do leave and subsequently come back, you will find things have changed considerably and for goodness sakes, DO NOT STEP OFF THE HORSE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Are there any circumstances in which you would consider renouncing your Irish citizenship? Even if you were to emigrate and never to return say?

Never. It also wouldn't make sense. With the countries you mentioned, you can keep your Irish citizenship and have dual citizenship. Your Irish passport also allows you free movement in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

No, because I'm not a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I am warning you now; if you do leave and subsequently come back, you will find things have changed considerably and for goodness sakes, DO NOT STEP OFF THE HORSE!

Haha! Belly laugh moment when my mind clicked on that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Wouldn't give a toss which country I live in I wouldn't renounce my citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Did many Germans renounce their citizenship after the Holocaust (sorry to Godwin this)? If not then we would have to do something worse before I'd consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If a new state was founded, called Bleedindeadlyland, and it lived up to its name, and I wanted to be a citizen of Bleedindeadlyland but couldn't hold dual citizenship due to the rules of Bleedindeadlyland?

Yep. I'd change nationality in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

compulsory military service

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

smash wrote: »
    compulsory military service

Imo this is desperately needed in this country judging by the youth of today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Am collecting passports, got an Irish one, got a British one, should have an Argentine one in the next few years.

Each one means as much as the other.

Not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I wouldn't give up my (US) citizenship though, and to be honest, I know which embassy I would head to first in an emergency abroad.
    You do know that the USA is chasing people like you to pay taxes! Over 2000 people have therefore renounced their citizenship this year because of this.....

For the OP, would you renounce your Irish/UK citizenship if they started charging you tax while you were living in OZ-ADA...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If they stopped making Tayto crisps in Ireland.

Like a previous poster, I've a Irish and US passport. Can't see myself giving up either of them. Are you talking about giving it up to make a statement of some sort? I doubt any of them would miss me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I came close during the Garth Brooks affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Eutow wrote: »
    Never. It also wouldn't make sense. With the countries you mentioned, you can keep your Irish citizenship and have dual citizenship. Your Irish passport also allows you free movement in Europe.

This exactly, why would you give up something that costs you nothing and can only benefit you ? (it costs nothing to be a citizen and you don't have to hold an Irish passport, but at least you have the option of obtaining one)

smurfjed wrote: »
    You do know that the USA is chasing people like you to pay taxes! Over 2000 people have therefore renounced their citizenship this year because of this.....

For the OP, would you renounce your Irish/UK citizenship if they started charging you tax while you were living in OZ-ADA...

Yes, I do know.

My understanding is that it is not a problem so long as you were paying taxes in the country in which you reside. It should only be a problem if I wish to return to live in the US (which I have precisely zero interest in doing) and I could not prove I was paying my taxes elsewhere.

Besides, my dual nationality is central to who I am. To renounce one of the citizenships I hold would be to deny a part of who I am.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_culture_kid
    . The experience of being a TCK is unique in that these individuals are moving between cultures before they have had the opportunity to fully develop their personal and cultural identity.[2] The first culture of children refers to the culture of the country from which the parents originated, the second culture refers to the culture in which the family currently resides, and the third culture refers to the amalgamation of these two cultures.[3][4][5] The third culture is further reinforced with the interaction of the third culture individual with the expatriate community that currently resides in the host country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

But why would you renounce it? You gain nothing by renouncing it and you lose nothing by keeping it.

Also life is unpredictable. You may emigrate with the intention of never living in Ireland again but circumstances change and it's better to keep your options open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Give up a European passport? No chance.

Never for this reason

Irish citizenship dose not only give you the right to live and work in Ireland but all of the EU

Advertisement