Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Dilemma?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 6:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

At the moment I have only about 30 friends. These friends cannot see what friends I have, which probably looks a bit odd for those of my friends who bother to have a proper snoop around my page to see who I associate with. So I'm just wondering what do people think of people who only have a small number of friends on this social media. These days it seems you'd want to have more than 150 friends on facebook, in order to not look like a complete loaner. And anything over a 1,000 would make you look a bit too loose. So I'm just wondering should I make my friends viewable to my friends?

I'm just a little more reserved in comparison to the rest of my generation. You'd see some knackers, and they'd everything about their family up for the world to see. This makes them quite vulnerable to cyber bullying in the odd event it should happen. I however, am quite happy to be one of those dormant facebook user. I don't post anything, unless in the rare occasion I achieve something or the like. But, of course I think it's ridiculous to be posting random remotely interesting things like let's say an oddly shaped carrot you ended up buying.

It's also annoying when someone who who clearly doesn't like you, and who you don't like too, sends you a friend request. Especially when this person interacts with you on a daily basis, and probably just does so that they can have a snoop about who you are. It's like as if you feel they'll eventually say "why didn't you return my friend request?" Equally, I get people who I interact with on a daily basis assuming I ignored their request because just I mightn't have logged in, in several days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

3 billon...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not worrying about the number is healthy.

Making friends in real life is healthy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

Not worrying about the number is healthy.

Well I mean that goes with out saying. But back to the dilemma I'm in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

After years of being really f*cking restrictive in regards to who I'd keep as friends, I'm just adding damn near anyone I bump into now (which is still a pretty low number) and I'd say it's helped some of those become actual friends. It's basically an IM app for me, plus you can hit up these people when you need something easy enough, the fact neither of you have deleted each other means you both might be willing to help the other person out a bit when they're stuck, if nothing else.

No family though, never family. I even have a list of people who know people from my external family so I can exclude them from posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You're much more likely to be murdered by someone you know. That's why I try not to know anyone. So far its working, I've never been in the slightest way murdered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I have a few good mates in real life, I come from a massive family and I do distance learning so have college buddies I wouldn't get to see in the real world.

I think I have 150ish FB friends, I got rid of 200 or so in the last while because we never actually bothered with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

This is so NOT a dilemma.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

At the moment I have only about 30 friends. These friends cannot see what friends I have, which probably looks a bit odd for those of my friends who bother to have a proper snoop around my page to see who I associate with. So I'm just wondering what do people think of people who only have a small number of friends on this social media. These days it seems you'd want to have more than 150 friends on facebook, in order to not look like a complete loaner. And anything over a 1,000 would make you look a bit too loose. So I'm just wondering should I make my friends viewable to my friends?

I'm just a little more reserved in comparison to the rest of my generation. You'd see some knackers, and they'd everything about their family up for the world to see. This makes them quite vulnerable to cyber bullying in the odd event it should happen. I however, am quite happy to be one of those dormant facebook user. I don't post anything, unless in the rare occasion I achieve something or the like. But, of course I think it's ridiculous to be posting random remotely interesting things like let's say an oddly shaped carrot you ended up buying.

It's annoying when someone who you presume clearly doesn't like you, and who you don't like too, sends you a friend request. Especially when this person interacts, and probably just do it in order to have a snoop about who you are. It's like as if you feel they'll eventually say "why didn't you return my friend request?" Also I get people who I interact with on a daily basis assuming I ignored their request because just I mightn't have logged in, in several days.

The WTF thread is that way -->

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I have 6 facebook friends, 1 is my other half, 2 are people that I do consider friends IRL, 1 is a girl I have known most of my life and 2 are people who just added me because I post on the same Red Dwarf page they post on on there and we tend to bounce off each other with jokes when we are talking about Red Dwarf. Do I give a ****? NO, do I feel like it makes me look less validated? HELL NO. I get friends requests all the time from random strangers and if I was to accept them I'd have 100s of "friends" but the truth is I can't be arsed to read their drivel or sit there all day thumbing up their posts or accepting their game requests. My friend list is not small because I am unpopular it is small because I am very selective about who and what I consider to be a friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

1st world problem. Dilemma is in your head op. Gave up on Facebook some time ago reasons: i dont give a F*** about momies sharing their baby pics,not intrested what you ate,how awesome your night was,nor whatever crap you compiled today to share with the rest of your 1000 cyber friends. If i need help i have phone with numbers that i know i will reach someone to help me out when needed.If friends live abroad i might use skype or txt them. As for compiling lists of people that you have met at some time in your life and adding them to your collection well,new age hobby me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm a complete loner, less than 100, and know them all in real life. Unlike those I know with. 500+, who pick up strays along the way, to bump up the friend count

fussyonion wrote: »
    This is so NOT a dilemma.......
    What would you do so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

Oh my Golly gosh, like the other day I was in work and my hair didn't look right. I was ssssoooooooo going to die and fall over with embarrassment if anyone saw me. How was I going to leave my desk without anyone seeing a piece of hair out of place. Lucky I got to the bathroom without anyone seeing it. I thought I was going to die, it was a horrifying experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

What would you do so?

Burn the house down.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Burn the house down.
    You have been issued a warning for your snide attitude!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

You have been issued a warning for your snide attitude!

How are your boobs electric?

Friction, it's like rubbing two balloons with nipples together, sooner or later you are going to get a static discharge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

Facebook if a ****in joke. People with 100s of friends just to look like they are really popular.. Like I bet these same people could count the number of those on their hands that they could consider real friends. Its also hilarious as to what people post on it aswell. I don't give a ****e what you had for dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Perhaps go and talk to a real friend or two and they may explain the obscurity of worrying about friends on Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Oh my Golly gosh, like the other day I was in work and my hair didn't look right. I was ssssoooooooo going to die and fall over with embarrassment if anyone saw me. How was I going to leave my desk without anyone seeing a piece of hair out of place. Lucky I got to the bathroom without anyone seeing it. I thought I was going to die, it was a horrifying experience.

Keep a hat in your desk drawer, sorted ;)

OP you totally picked the wrong forum to ask a serious question. I would not be bothered about amount of friends, I don't even know how many I have on FB. I know people who have hundreds and even thousands of friends - it makes my head spin just to think of how fast their FB newsfeed must move. Everyone who is on mine I know, mostly family, friends, ex-workmates and some friends I made on various forums. It's all about quality not quantity. Also I doubt your friends really care how many or few you have x

Just looked for the heck of it, I have 184 friends on there.

deliciously perfect, and you'll never get hold of them!

deliciously perfect, and you'll never get hold of them!

He doesn't want to get a hold of them but he is probably holding on to the hope that if he buries his head in them and says "Nom nom nom" the static electricity your tits generate will cure his receding hairline :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Having a small number of friends on facebook is not really an actual "dilemma" in the way you are describing it OP.

You can have as many or as little friends as you like on Facebook as long it can make you yourself happy. Another good thing is that this sort of "dilemma" should not make you lose any sleep overnight as its only a minor issue in your life.

There are bigger things out there for you to worry about in the real world.

Also I think this type of question will be suitable in the Blogs/Wikis/Social Networks sub forum in the Technology section to ask for a better opinion.

You can have as many or as little friends as you like on Facebook as long it can make you yourself happy. Another good thing is that this sort of "dilemma" should not make you lose any sleep overnight as its only a minor issue in your life.
    Forgive me, but I'm only left with minor issues. Am I allowed to discuss them too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I have 442 "friends" on Facebook, which just goes to show what utter bullsh1t being "friends" on Facebook is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Forgive me, but I'm only left with minor issues. Am I allowed to discuss them too??

Yeah sure anybody can do that including yourself. You just have to make sure to ask the right people though so you wouldn't get lost or anything.

Anyone who says the opposite of that though can look like an pure tool in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's also annoying when someone who who clearly doesn't like you, and who you don't like too, sends you a friend request. Especially when this person interacts with you on a daily basis, and probably just does so that they can have a snoop about who you are. It's like as if you feel they'll eventually say "why didn't you return my friend request?" Equally, I get people who I interact with on a daily basis assuming I ignored their request because just I mightn't have logged in, in several days.

I read the first line or two of the first paragraph and got bored but wondered how you managed to write three pretty large paragraphs on such a boring and nonsense topic? Did you use one of those 'random topic generators' or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Is this what youth is all about these days? I'm so glad I'm half old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't let my friends number go over 150. I delete people if I'm at 150 and have someone new to add. People can't see who in friends with either. So what, it's none of their business anyway.

Advertisement