Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Hell really that scary?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I actually did. Are you going to make this a strawman argument? Cause I can strawman a strawman (just like there). Anyway, getting back to the point at hand. The only way hell could exist would literally be if a person didn't repent for their sins even when confronted with them by some deity or flying-spaghetti monster or whatever. Which would be stupid, why would a person not want to repent when he sees evidence that there is a higher power at work? Comparing the discipline of children to that of a God who only asks for forgiveness for you to get into heaven is a stupid analogy.

Ok, well obviously this is all hypotheticals we're talking about here, perhaps it's best we both understand that much at least before I explain any further.

Basically, what you're saying is that Hell (the bedroom), where the child is sent to 'repent' if you like, doesn't exist. But we know the bedroom does exist, because we've been in there obviously.

So, what makes it 'Hell' for the child is that the bedroom takes on a negative association when they are forced to go there to think about their misbehavior.

Same principle applies to adults and their perception of 'Hell', a place that in their mind is made unpleasant by the fact that they are forced to repent, to examine the consequences of their behaviour.

Now, either of two things happen - the child eventually realises the possible consequences of their misbehaviour, and they get told they can come out of the room, or, because the parent obviously can't keep them in there forever, they eventually have to bring them out even though they haven't fully realised the consequences of their misbehaviour.

Same thing with Heaven and Hell - eventually everyone in Hell is brought up to Heaven despite the fact that they haven't all repented. So the sooner you repent, the sooner you get out of Hell, and if you never misbehave, then you never experience the unpleasant feeling of being sent to Hell (the bedroom), and you only experience Heaven.

Because of the nature of free will, essentially the choice is yours, some people don't particularly care either way as to them their 'Hell' is bearable, so that's why you get some people that misbehave and don't particularly care about the consequences, because they don't particularly care about where they go - Heaven or Hell is all the same to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Chunners wrote: »
    Why? no matter how vile a human is no one should be forced to feel complete and utter hopelessness, everyone should be allowed even just a small chance of redeeming themselves otherwise why would they exist? I mean if Hell existed so would heaven and is heavens purpose not to forgive? Eternity is a long time to sit regretting your actions

My understanding of the Christian faith is that there is redemption but the person has to seek it and commit to living a Christian life. It's not something they can just pick up on their deathbed and expect to be 'saved'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

Think about the concept of heaven - Christmas day with your family for eternity. That sounds like hell to me.

Good thing neither of them exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

For the very same reason parents would send children to their bedrooms if they misbehave - it doesn't mean their parents love them any less, it simply means they're giving the child an opportunity to reflect on their behaviour and come out of their room when they have done so.

Eventually everyone goes to Heaven.

Even serial killers and despots? must be nice for their victims to meet their killers in heaven.

Advertisement