Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Hell really that scary?

Options
  • 01-11-2014 2:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭

I'm sure at some point in the past the concept of demons shoving red hot pokers up your ass was a terrifying concept but now a days if you died and they even tried do you not feel like you would just bitch slap the little ****ers and shove it up their ass instead? I mean media shows us images of the Devil and Demons everyday so is that image of cloven hoofs, red skin and horns even scary anymore? personally I see the concept of Hell as laughable because I know people (who if hell existed) would end up there and just take over. As an attempt at fear I don't think it works anymore, personally I don't believe in either but if I did I imagine Heaven being full of the boring people and hell being full of all the cool people like Freddy Mercury and Jim Morrison

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hell, scmhell.

Sure I'm headed there anyway, might as well make the most of it.

edit: as long as there ain't no disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Chunners wrote: »
    I'm sure at some point in the past the concept of demons shoving red hot pokers up your ass was a terrifying concept but now a days if you died and they even tried do you not feel like you would just bitch slap the little ****ers and shove it up their ass instead? I mean media shows us images of the Devil and Demons everyday so is that image of cloven hoofs, red skin and horns even scary anymore? personally I see the concept of Hell as laughable because I know people (who if hell existed) would end up there and just take over. As an attempt at fear I don't think it works anymore, personally I don't believe in either but if I was to I imagine Heaven being full of the boring people and hell being full of all the cool people like Freddy Mercury and Jim Morrison
    Why would they be in hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Satan just sounds like a fun Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Sometimes I'd like to believe in all that stuff.

The way I did as a child.

Live a bad life & when you die, you go to hell forever.

Lots of people out there would deserve it & there are times when I hope it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This is a nice description of hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

KungPao wrote: »
    shoving red hot pokers up your ass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

KungPao wrote: »

Because is Hell not where all the gays and drug addicts go? I didn't make the rules love :D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Hell No. . .

Limbo That's where it's at. . .

Purgatory.
    Go there for a while. . .

Then go to Heaven. . .

Satan just sounds like a fun Jesus.

"dont you know there is no devil.... thats just god when he is drunk"
    Tom Waits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Tom Waits :)

Where would be a good starting point if I were to buy a Tom Waits album?

• Advertisement

"Asylum Years". It is basically the "best of" that he had LEAST control over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Fr. Chunners. Trying to bump religion. #throwbacktothe50s

Sometimes I'd like to believe in all that stuff.

The way I did as a child.

Live a bad life & when you die, you go to hell forever.

Lots of people out there would deserve it & there are times when I hope it's true.

Why? no matter how vile a human is no one should be forced to feel complete and utter hopelessness, everyone should be allowed even just a small chance of redeeming themselves otherwise why would they exist? I mean if Hell existed so would heaven and is heavens purpose not to forgive? Eternity is a long time to sit regretting your actions

Fr. Chunners. Trying to bump religion. #throwbacktothe50s

lol I am pre op male to female transsexual, if anything I hate religion but feel free to continue assuming I am a priest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Scary or not, there ain't nobody gonna miss out on finding out, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Death is scary. Eternal life with a bunch of pious curtain twitchers is truly horrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Careful now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm sure at some point in the past the concept of demons shoving red hot pokers up your ass was a terrifying concept but now a days if you died and they even tried do you not feel like you would just bitch slap the little ****ers and shove it up their ass instead? I mean media shows us images of the Devil and Demons everyday so is that image of cloven hoofs, red skin and horns even scary anymore? personally I see the concept of Hell as laughable because I know people (who if hell existed) would end up there and just take over. As an attempt at fear I don't think it works anymore, personally I don't believe in either but if I did I imagine Heaven being full of the boring people and hell being full of all the cool people like Freddy Mercury and Jim Morrison

Would that not be Hell then for you, and Heaven being the place where you might find people you find interesting?

I've never met anyone I found boring yet, so your idea of Heaven will be an empty place for me, which would be my idea of Hell.

I always found it interesting how a person's perception can colour their perspective.

Would that not be Hell then for you, and Heaven being the place where you might find people you find interesting?

I've never met anyone I found boring yet, so your idea of Heaven will be an empty place for me, which would be my idea of Hell.

I always found it interesting how a person's perception can colour their perspective.

Well considering Heaven and Hell are supposibly dictated by places I consider myself deserving to be would they not both be interchangeable? like would my idea of Heaven not be another persons version of Hell? for example I hate country and western music, I find it to be banal and mind numbing so hell for me would be an eternity of Garth Brooks's mindless drivel whereas for someone else it could be the be all and end all to listen to his crap for an eternity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I think my favourite quote about hell is from Dr. Who. The 10th Doctor talks about the void (the space between dimensions and alternate realities) and how there is nothing and that it is what people call hell.

But yeah, Hell doesn't exist. If it did (as Christians claim) it would make God a hypocrite as he is supposed to be "forgiving". Why would a forgiving God send someone to hell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I think my favourite quote about hell is from Dr. Who. The 10th Doctor talks about the void (the space between dimensions and alternate realities) and how there is nothing and that it is what people call hell.

But yeah, Hell doesn't exist. If it did (as Christians claim) it would make God a hypocrite as he is supposed to be "forgiving". Why would a forgiving God send someone to hell?

You are god, and all around you is all your creation, so forgive yourself and forget your thoughts of a supposed hell

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Closing Time for me.

Well considering Heaven and Hell are supposibly dictated by places I consider myself deserving to be would they not both be interchangeable? like would my idea of Heaven not be another persons version of Hell? for example I hate country and western music, I find it to be banal and mind numbing so hell for me would be an eternity of Garth Brooks's mindless drivel whereas for someone else it could be the be all and end all to listen to his crap for an eternity

Well that's what I mean - you have an aversion to country music, it's a fear that's individual to you, your idea of hell is country music non-stop. Now say if you meet someone who has the same ideas as you do - it's also in their heads, this aversion to country music and the idea of it playing all day, etc.

Because these places only exist in our minds, it's not like when a person dies they would all meet up at a Garth Brooks concert and think "Ohh shìt!", they're more likely to be in their own individual Hell that's the sum of all their fears, as opposed to Heaven, which would be the sum of all their dreams.

Depending on your own individual perspective, created from your own individual perception, you're gonna go one way or the other, your perception isn't going to change much just because you left your corporeal body behind you...

Well, that is of course if you believe in all that sort of thing. Ideas about Heaven and Hell vary vastly between religions and belief systems, and those ideas are only representative imagery to illustrate for people the consequences of their actions which are based on their thoughts - behave badly, you go to a bad place, behave according to a set of rules laid down by an overseer of authority - you go to a good place.

Once I don't end up next to Garth Brooks at a Taylor Swift concert, I'll be happy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I always assumed hell was quite fluid and just became your idea of hell. Would have no problem with all the pokers and physical pain, what harm's it gonna be, I'm already dead!

My version of hell would be me paralysed and locked in a room with my aunt-in-law (who'd definitely be down there) for company. There'd be something on a radio outside loud enough to know it's on but not loud enough to actually listen to it, leaving me perpetually unsure whether it's okay to pretend I'm listening so as to it to avoid talking to her but knowing that the second I stop pretending, we'd have to talk from that point on, forever.

As for Tom Waits: Closing Time & Rain Dogs -> Small Change -> Bone Machine -> whatever. Rain Dogs might require a few revisits though.

For the very same reason parents would send children to their bedrooms if they misbehave - it doesn't mean their parents love them any less, it simply means they're giving the child an opportunity to reflect on their behaviour and come out of their room when they have done so.

Eventually everyone goes to Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

It's All Hallows Eve so this feels necessary:

The truly terrifying things are those which have the potential to be real. So I suppose 'Hell' isn't particularly scary at all.

For the very same reason parents would send children to their bedrooms if they misbehave - it doesn't mean their parents love them any less, it simply means they're giving the child an opportunity to reflect on their behaviour and come out of their room when they have done so.

Eventually everyone goes to Heaven.
    That is literally one of the worst analogies I have ever heard in my life. If (and it's a big if, I'm one of those atheists you Catholics have heard about) a heaven existed and you repented, as is preached in the bible, God has to forgive you. So literally you could have done a sh1t load of bad things in your life but as long as you ask for forgiveness you're accepted as one of God's children and are allowed into Heaven. Why would hell exist if this was the case?

That is literally one of the worst analogies I have ever heard in my life. If (and it's a big if, I'm one of those atheists you Catholics have heard about) a heaven existed and you repented, as is preached in the bible, God has to forgive you. So literally you could have done a sh1t load of bad things in your life but as long as you ask for forgiveness you're accepted as one of God's children and are allowed into Heaven. Why would hell exist if this was the case?

No wonder you think mine was literally one of the worst analogies you've ever heard in your life, you didn't understand the analogy, and that's why you've ended up asking the question at the end of your post. Go back and read my previous post again, perhaps it'll come to you eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

off topic, but relevant:

Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.
    Its hard to imagine that nothing at all
    could be so exciting, and so much fun.

The band in Heaven plays my favorite song.
    They play it once again, they play it all night long.

There is a party, everyone is there.
    Everyone will leave at exactly the same time.
    Its hard to imagine that nothing at all
    could be so exciting, and so much fun.

(Talking Heads)

• Advertisement

No wonder you think mine was literally one of the worst analogies you've ever heard in your life, you didn't understand the analogy, and that's why you've ended up asking the question at the end of your post. Go back and read my previous post again, perhaps it'll come to you eventually.
    I actually did. Are you going to make this a strawman argument? Cause I can strawman a strawman (just like there). Anyway, getting back to the point at hand. The only way hell could exist would literally be if a person didn't repent for their sins even when confronted with them by some deity or flying-spaghetti monster or whatever. Which would be stupid, why would a person not want to repent when he sees evidence that there is a higher power at work? Comparing the discipline of children to that of a God who only asks for forgiveness for you to get into heaven is a stupid analogy.

Advertisement