Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

iDave wrote: »
    The sad reality is the sun will expand to a point where life on earth will be impossible. The planet will die a slow painful death. And due to the tremendous distances between stars abandoning earth is not an option.

Who knows what humanity's options will be in billions of years. If we even still exist by then. There are also billions of potentially habitable planets similar to earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The sad reality is the sun will expand to a point where life on earth will be impossible. The planet will die a slow painful death. And due to the tremendous distances between stars abandoning earth is not an option.

Ah it is now.

Terraforming and biodome living are real possibilities.

Technology shall eventually let us reach other planets and we can then settle and pollute their, this starting the cycle all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The work of God is a mind-boggling thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

t'is, t'is

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

So you don't believe that we'll ever master space travel? thats a bit of a depressing thought. I think we will, I don't know if we'll ever achieve warp speed or anything but I think sometime in the future it will be possible for us to build giant space ships in space (so that there will be no need to worry about fuel storage for a take off) that could use hydrogen scoops for fuel. Granted they might never reach light speed and people will be born and die on them but as a way to maintain the species it's not totally impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

The nearest star to us, other than the sun, is Alpha Centauri, and would take about 81,000 years to reach. If using the fastest (theoretical nuclear propulsion technology), about 85 years.

http://www.universetoday.com/15403/how-long-would-it-take-to-travel-to-the-nearest-star/

Not only that, but we would need to find a stable star, and a habitable planet, a gas giant would be no use for obvious reasons. Finding a rocky planet that is within a habitable distance from a stable sun might also be uninhabitable if it is too large, due to extreme gravity.

Eutow wrote: »
    The nearest star to us, other than the sun, is Alpha Centauri, and would take about 81,000 years to reach. If using the fastest (theoretical nuclear propulsion technology), about 85 years.

http://www.universetoday.com/15403/how-long-would-it-take-to-travel-to-the-nearest-star/

Not only that, but we would need to find a stable star, and a habitable planet, a gas giant would be no use for obvious reasons. Finding a rocky planet that is within a habitable distance from a stable sun might also be uninhabitable if it is too large, due to extreme gravity.

At a point where the planet would be becoming uninhabitable I don't think finding a new planet would be the primary goal, survival of the species would so we'd become pretty much the nomads of the universe just wandering from gas cloud to gas cloud mining meteorites for water and ores. If we ever perfect space lifts we could, theoretically, build bio domes and survive enough on any planet and mine it for resources to build more ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

catallus wrote: »
    The work of God is a mind-boggling thing.

This thread isn't about "The work of God" it's about what people think will be the achievements of man in the future.

• Advertisement

Chunners wrote: »
    This thread isn't about "The work of God" it's about what people think will be the achievements of man in the future.

All things are known within the mind of god.

In that sense everything is about god.

catallus wrote: »
    All things are known within the mind of god.

In that sense everything is about god.

Everything except this thread so jog on there love, I wouldn't have actually minded if you'd have said that the part in the video that says religions will die out is wrong and state reasons why you think that is so but you didn't, instead you just posted to be "controversial" and try stir some ****e. I don't care about your "god", I don't care about your religion, this thread is to ask people what they think humans will be capable of not to ask what some figment of your imagination is capable of

Chunners wrote: »
    ....I don't care about your "god"

God is "our" God, not just mine.

Your faith, or lack of it, is of no consequence to anyone but you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

This is the end, my only friend the end......

Actually it occurs to me that the future development of humankind will be more psychical that physical.

Given the very fast developments which have occurred in the last 10'000 years or so in theology/philosophy, I think it's a given that humans will become overall more spiritual. Exciting times ahead!

Notwithstanding the efforts of the blind-to-transcience materialist-trammelled nescients, mind you, but that's another story altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

We will evolve ourselves out of existence.

we will build things which can replace us and they will do just that. We are always looking at building a machine that can do what we can do, when we do this why wont that machine think it should be a dominant life form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Assuming we don't destroy ourselves, we will eventually transcend into a post-human state of existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

We'll be boppin around on Planet Jupiter

Assuming we don't destroy ourselves, we will eventually transcend into a post-human state of existence.

Can't say I believe all that "Transcend into beings of pure energy" stuff, I tend to just see it as star trek aliens type crap but thats not to say that I don't think we will evolve further just that that evolution will be purely physical and based on us adapting to changes in our environment. I don't think we will ever be anything more than physical entities because it just seems like a stupid idea to me to believe there is such a thing as a non physical existence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement