Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end

Options
  • 01-11-2014 1:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭

I love talking about stuff like this, it makes you realize how small and insignificant we really are so the topic is assuming that video isn't 100% correct where do you think humans will be in say 1000 years time? like do you think we as a species will survive? will/can our planet survive or will we just abandon it and take to the stars? Even though the video says religions will die out this is not a religious debate, this is to ask peoples opinions of what they think we are capable of given the relatively short amount of time we (as a species) will have in this massive universe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I think the advances in technology from here on will only get greater and greater at faster rates. Like google are apparently working on a computer that can code itself, so what happens when we have computers that will be able to code faster and better than any humans can? Probably an explosion in technology advancements similar to how it advanced so quickly in the last 100 years.

The thing that gets me is that I won't be around to see where it all ends up, hopefully when we die we enter some type of 'spectator mode' like in call of duty lol.

Chunners wrote: »
    where do you think humans will be in say 1000 years time? like do you think we as a species will survive? think we are capable of given the relatively short amount of time we (as a species) will have in this massive universe

The brian cox view is the most depressing. He reckons we have NEARLY reached a point where we can send messanger robots out into the stars - robots which can mine resources and make new robots and send even MORE robots out into the stars.

Which means the amount of robots will increase at an exp rate.

and given the time involved that means that MANY other species in our universe have reached this point too.

But so far we have not yet met any of these robots.

Which either means one of two things.

Cox thinks it means we are unique in the universe.

I think... just for fun.... the other option. Which is that for SOME reason yet not forthold.... species who reach the technology to send out self replicating robots.... suddenly die.

Arnie is smelling a new script :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Skynet. It all ends with Skynet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I love talking about stuff like this, it makes you realize how small and insignificant we really are so the topic is assuming that video isn't 100% correct where do you think humans will be in say 1000 years time? like do you think we as a species will survive? will/can our planet survive or will we just abandon it and take to the stars? Even though the video says religions will die out this is not a religious debate, this is to ask peoples opinions of what they think we are capable of given the relatively short amount of time we (as a species) will have in this massive universe

I bet you're a barrell of laughs on a night out............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Meh, it would probably something as stupid as Dr. Strangelove

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh, we're ****ed.

Probbaly won;t happen in our lifetimes, but at some point, somwhow. We are not prepared to think about the consequneces of our actions until it's too late. We know about the potential threats caused by enviromental disaster, disease, overpopulation, war and so on, but we, as a species, are programmed to ignore the warning signs until it's too late and humanity in it's entirety is doomed.

Way to sober me up on Halloween. Thanks a bunch.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The brian cox view is the most depressing. He reckons we have NEARLY reached a point where we can send messanger robots out into the stars - robots which can mine resources and make new robots and send even MORE robots out into the stars.

and given the time involved that means that MANY other species in our universe have reached this point too.

I think... just for fun.... the other option. Which is that for SOME reason yet not forthold.... species who reach the technology to send out self replicating robots.... suddenly die.

Crap I just thought of the punchline to my own joke. Would it not be tragically funny that there have been many species in the universe that sent a few million self replicating drones out into space.... drones programmed to "wake up" in space and then go find resources for replication...... and for the most simple hubris-tic of reasons..... the drone developers simply forgot to write the simple instruction "Not HERE" into that programming. I wonder how many species in our universe reached the technology to send out drones..... only to watch those drones come back and wipe them out 5 minutes later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Computing....interpretative frame established: subject cannot comprehend matters not connected to social life and acquisition of mate. Transferring:http://www.funology.com
    /ends. Link down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Some idiot will probably press the nuke button at some stage and obliterate the planet. The gravitational forces caused by the implosion will create a black hole in space, sucking the Milky Way galaxy in on itself, then some kid will come along and pick up the bar and eat it, take a poo at Paul's - the Big Bang, the creation of another Universe.

This repeats itself throughout time, creating infinite Universes in infinite Domestos Dimensions.

"May you live in interesting times"?

I don't think we even know the half of it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

where's all these robots that were going to make dinner and fetch and carry stuff

didn't happen yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

*Sigh* not another...

What in the OP indicates that he wouldn't be a laugh on a night out? His ability of critical and open minded thinking? Maybe he wouldn't be falling over drunk or dancing like a nutcase or whatever you consider a barrel of laughs but some people actually enjoy having some bit of a meaningful conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

where's all these robots that were going to make dinner and fetch and carry stuff

didn't happen yet
    The human race is being replaced with body-snatching alien robot replicas for decades. The reason you don't know this is because .....

didn't happen yet

In the spirit of the Conspiracy forum...... those robots have been created...... but they dont want you to know this..... lest their children also be sold into slavery on the play webstore.

If you made your own dinner tonight then you are clearly not a member of the elite who had it brought to them by drone :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Actually I am, just because I find the concept that after I die 1000's of lives will live and die and we (as a species) will change to accommodate it doesn't mean I am boring, it just means that I am engaging in the same thing that every other person has in the past where am showing curiosity about our existence and when or how it will end. Asking people how they think it will end is not a crime, saying that you shouldn't ask on the other hand (although not a crime) is ****ing ridiculous. Are you afraid of death or something?

What in the OP indicates that he wouldn't be a laugh on a night out? His ability of critical and open minded thinking? Maybe he wouldn't be falling over drunk or dancing like a nutcase or whatever you consider a barrel of laughs but some people actually enjoy having some bit of a meaningful conversation.

Its after hours.....ya know.....having a bit of craic....enjoy that meaningful conversation.........and no falling over drunk and dancing like a nutcase is not my idea of fun........but hey I didnt mention that......you did......carry on.....

It's possible that something like this could be happening to some other planet right now, das not it mane

563838-bigthumbnail.jpg

Actually I am, just because I find the concept that after I die 1000's of lives will live and die and we (as a species) will change to accommodate it doesn't mean I am boring, it just means that I am engaging in the same thing that every other person has in the past where am showing curiosity about our existence and when or how it will end. Asking people how they think it will end is not a crime, saying that you shouldn't ask on the other hand (although not a crime) is ****ing ridiculous. Are you afraid of death or something?
    No offence intended.....just making light....and no Im not afraid of death......some things are worse......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

It's possible that something like this could be happening to some other planet right now, das not it mane

563838-bigthumbnail.jpg

*Pew Pew*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I Like Cake !

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

What will we be like in a thousand years time??

Pffft....Thats Nothing!

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

No offence intended.....just making light....and no Im not afraid of death......some things are worse......

No offense taken, it would ruin the thread anyway if I sat here and bitched at you :D

No offense taken, it would ruin the thread anyway if I sat here and bitched at you :D

It would........ :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I used to watch that show religiously.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Thats pretty much the plot to revelation space

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If we are insignificant compared to the universe do ye not feel pretty significant compared to an atom or whatever's smaller than that? Positivity like

Not only size-wise but the fact that a galaxy of cells is working in unison for us to be able to type on our keyboards. Look at my fingers go!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think the advances in technology from here on will only get greater and greater at faster rates. Like google are apparently working on a computer that can code itself, so what happens when we have computers that will be able to code faster and better than any humans can? Probably an explosion in technology advancements similar to how it advanced so quickly in the last 100 years.

The thing that gets me is that I won't be around to see where it all ends up, hopefully when we die we enter some type of 'spectator mode' like in call of duty lol.

The idea of computers writing code was first thought of in 1936 and put into practice in the 50's. Like their quantum computers and self driving cars, I'm sure it will flatter to deceive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The earth would be better off if we did go extinct, we have done nothing but damage the planet and kill off countless species of animals.

Doubt humans will ever go extenct though, advances in techology has seen to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The sad reality is the sun will expand to a point where life on earth will be impossible. The planet will die a slow painful death. And due to the tremendous distances between stars abandoning earth is not an option.

Advertisement