Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Ads 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Like Loughc said, it's sad that a lot of McDonald's in the USA open now Christmas Day and Thanksgiving. But I guess it's different over there- Christmas is definitely not the same big deal as it is here, and Thanksgiving is just normally one day off for people before work again on Friday.
    I am pretty much fiercely against shops being opened on Christmas Day & even Stephens Day so this kind of strikes a bit of a chord with me. It was refreshing and different at the time.

If I live to be 100, I will never, never ever understand the concept of heading off at 10/11pm on a cold Christmas Night to go and stand outside a shop for 6 or 7 hours. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was in Canada at the cinema before, trailers for films with release date Christmas day, I asked how is that possible and my friend said the cinema and all restaurants in the mall will be open :eek:

Saw the coke ad last night :D just what I needed during the break of American horror story!! Except.... santy didn't wink at the end....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That Mulberry ad is brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Saw the coke ad last night :D just what I needed during the break of American horror story!! Except.... santy didn't wink at the end....

I seen that ad the other night to and was waiting for the wink to

I love that you said santy and not santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was in Canada at the cinema before, trailers for films with release date Christmas day, I asked how is that possible and my friend said the cinema and all restaurants in the mall will be open :eek:

Off topic I know, but I actually felt sorry for poor Twisty.:( The Coke ad was much needed after last nights AHS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just saw the sainsburys ad centered around the Xmas Day truce in World War 1, little bit uneasy with it showing the British sticking the hand out first and ultimately the Brit giving the German a present with nothing in return.

It was like John Lewis' though in that sainsburys was only revealed at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Christmas starts for me when I hear the first bell of ....

http://youtu.be/_7uehHRr7hU

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Posy wrote: »
    I loved that ad!! All the shots of the restaurant in darkness and a lovely version of (I think) Hark the Herald Angels Sing. :)

Edit: here it is!

http://www.tvspots.tv/video/16366/mcdonalds--christmas-eve

I love the McDonalds ad. I get a bit cynical of ads the revolve around buying stuff. Its nice to have an ad that reminds you of the important bit of Christmas, being with your loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

razorblunt wrote: »
    Just saw the sainsburys ad centered around the Xmas Day truce in World War 1, little bit uneasy with it showing the British sticking the hand out first and ultimately the Brit giving the German a present with nothing in return.

Just saw this one myself. Here it is for anyone who has not seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't like that Sainsburys ad at all.

It feels very contrived to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

That Sainsbury's ad is manipulative and distasteful, they're simply playing on peoples' emotions surrounding all the WW1 anniversary stuff. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭S_Hick12

Straylight wrote: »
    That Sainsbury's ad is manipulative and distasteful, they're simply playing on peoples' emotions surrounding all the WW1 anniversary stuff. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I like it and it is historically accurate for the most part, I don't see why people are against commemorating WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

S_Hick12 wrote: »
    I like it and it is historically accurate for the most part, I don't see why people are against commemorating WW1.

There's nothing wrong with commemorating WW1, and it is something that should be done. Using the commemoration to sell groceries at Christmas is a different matter however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

razorblunt wrote: »

Eh.. The Germans had nothing to give.. The Biscuit thing the german gave the british solider was all he probably had to give. The message I think is be thankful for what you receive.

You should read up about the British blockade of Germany during WW1..

The English soldier had that biscuit at the start of the ad, so I don't think it was from the German.

dubscottie wrote: »
    Eh.. The Germans had nothing to give.. The Biscuit thing the german gave the british solider was all he probably had to give. The message I think is be thankful for what you receive.

You should read up about the British blockade of Germany during WW1..

No I won't be doing that.
    That was the British guys last biscuit too, it was his missus at home who sent the bar. Looking back on it though I think the Germans were offering haircuts. We'll close that gripe for now.

Edit - how did you bring the quote from the After Hours thread in here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Here is Three Irelands ad, anybody know who plays the dad? He looks very familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The Sainsbury ad has had a lot of complaints in the UK, even Joe Duffy was talking about it today :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The Dunnes Ad is lovely - really simple but lovely :-) did someone on here say that they has closed off some street in Dublin recently to make a Christmas ad? Think this might be the ad - sorry can't link it on my phone, maybe someone else can do the honours :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

Ok, so it's a copy of the Cornflakes (I think) ad... but I liked it!

Has anyone got a link to the old (1980s) Penneys/Primark ad? I really want to show it to my children...so far I've only found the 1996 one online. (It's a nice ad, but I really want them to see the older one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

The Dunnes ad was recorded in wicklow town 2 weeks ago the bridge and town looked like a real christmas wonderland the evening it was recorded:pac:

Has anyone seen the NotontheHighStreet ad? References a kid that is in two minds about whether Santa exists or not, parents get him a letter from Santa online and he ends up happy. I can't understand why companies would thread the line like this, similar to that littlewoods ad from a few years back. It was even shown during the XFactor last night.
    Perhaps I'm looking too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

leahyl wrote: »
    The Dunnes Ad is lovely - really simple but lovely :-) did someone on here say that they has closed off some street in Dublin recently to make a Christmas ad? Think this might be the ad - sorry can't link it on my phone, maybe someone else can do the honours :-)
    vickers209 wrote: »
    The Dunnes ad was recorded in wicklow town 2 weeks ago the bridge and town looked like a real christmas wonderland the evening it was recorded:pac:

I was IN HEAVEN (I live right there, like RIGHT THERE). Shame they took it all down again. The lights over the road bridge I wanted them to stay.

I saw the chap out spraypainting the yellow lines outside the Bridge Cafe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

How disappointing are the Cadburys Christmas ad this year :(

Should have stuck with last years:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Tescos Irish Christmas ad is awful, to me it could be an ad for any other week of the year. Everything is shown with a price and smacks of absolutely no effort whatsoever having been made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Ah Ya the old ones are always the best ...

Penneys Christmas TV Ad 1996: http://youtu.be/athHodH_nis

Advertisement