Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014/2015 Off-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

8-10 wrote: »
    I want Cole Hamels, sooner rather than later. Phillies want Swihart though allegedly

I wouldn't be too keen on letting Swihart go anyway!

Ideally I'd like them to get their ace before opening day but I don't see the right deal becoming available.

Joe Kelly is winning the CY Young this year anyway so its all good http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25013366/red-soxs-joe-kelly-says-hell-win-cy-young-in-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

MLB article with 5 probably teams for James Shields: Padres, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Marlins and Brewers.

I think he will end up in Oakland... anyway, he will be a huge help wherever he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Thidp wrote: »
    MLB article with 5 probably teams for James Shields: Padres, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Marlins and Brewers.

I think he will end up in Oakland... anyway, he will be a huge help wherever he goes.

Padres the only team who would benefit this year if he goes to one of those teams. Think they could contend this year with another addition or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Padres the only team who would benefit this year if he goes to one of those teams. Think they could contend this year with another addition or 2

He has his heart set on playing in California apparently so SD and Oakland seem the most likely fits, if they indeed want him.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Buster Olney tweeted that word is SD is favourite to land him. Still don't see them mounting much of a challenge this year. LA and SF should be too strong.

• Advertisement

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Buster Olney tweeted that word is SD is favourite to land him. Still don't see them mounting much of a challenge this year. LA and SF should be too strong.

LA win it all this year for me. SD 2nd in division. #BoldPredictions

Still yet to do my full list but that's what I'm already thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

LA win it all this year for me. SD 2nd in division. #BoldPredictions

Still yet to do my full list but that's what I'm already thinking

I know Spring Training hasn't even started so it's way too early to be making picks but I'm going with the Nats (think I picked them to win it all last year too and they went out in the first round of the playoffs!)

Padres sign shields to 4 years for 70 odd million. 5th year club option. Seems like a decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Reviewing their team now. Had been impressed with all the signings, but now when I look at it all on paper, I'm really not sure.

Even with Shields, I think the players they have acquired are patchy...Kemp, Upton, Myers, Middlebrooks, Solarte, Norris.

Rotation could be handy, but once again, its runs scored I'd be worried about.

Reviewing their team now. Had been impressed with all the signings, but now when I look at it all on paper, I'm really not sure.

Even with Shields, I think the players they have acquired are patchy...Kemp, Upton, Myers, Middlebrooks, Solarte, Norris.

Rotation could be handy, but once again, its runs scored I'd be worried about.

Very patchy! I agree with that. I just really really like their rotation in possibly the most pitcher-friendly ballpark there is. I haven't seen their win line yet (was 78.5 last year and they only won 77), but I already think I'll be taking the over this year, could easily be better than .500 this season

• Advertisement

I'm a huge Tyson Ross fan. Their rotation looks really good now. Contenders for me definitely.

Like Kemp's chances of a bounce-back year too. Was getting it back together a bit in the back end of last year.

Saw this... they won loads between them and were great, but are they retiring numbers good/territory?
    What is I guess....?

The Yankees announced on Monday that they will retire the uniform numbers of Bernie Williams (51), Jorge Posada (20) and Andy Pettitte (46) in pregame ceremonies at Yankee Stadium this season. In addition, Willie Randolph, a member of the Yankees' 1977 and 1978 world championship teams, will be honored with a plaque in Monument Park.

Saw this... they won loads between them and were great, but are they retiring numbers good/territory?
    What is I guess....?

The Yankees announced on Monday that they will retire the uniform numbers of Bernie Williams (51), Jorge Posada (20) and Andy Pettitte (46) in pregame ceremonies at Yankee Stadium this season. In addition, Willie Randolph, a member of the Yankees' 1977 and 1978 world championship teams, will be honored with a plaque in Monument Park.

I think it should be reserved for the greats. As you said, they were good players but Petite admitted using HGH and he's getting his retired.

They're not going to contend this year so this is one way to keep the team in the headlines. Although I'm sure a certain third baseman will do all he can to help keep the media interested. Maybe this is to counter his bad publicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

What is I guess....?

No, they should be reserved for All-Time greats like Ruth and Gehrig. Jeter, Mariano? Yes. Posada? I'm really not sure. If you're not an automatic HOF'er I'm not in favor of it.

I'm thinking the same as you guys.
    Great players, but not retiring number territory.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the crowd up the road do this season, considering their rotation. Think its very flat.

1. Clay Buchholz
    2. Justin Masterson
    3. Rick Porcello
    4. Wade Miley
    5. Joe Kelly

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2015/02/16/a-look-at-how-red-sox-starting-rotation-took-shape-and-why-it-doesnt-include-max-scherzer-james-shields/

First ESPN Baseball Today podcast of the season today which was good to hear. Got me in the mood for some baseball.

First ESPN Baseball Today podcast of the season today which was good to hear. Got me in the mood for some baseball.

Does it still sound like it was done through a payphone?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Does it still sound like it was done through a payphone?

They seem to have got the right equipment now and it sounds like pretty good. I'd imagine when they have guests calling in, there might be some issues but today's sounded grand.

Rules to speed up the game coming. No clock which is probably a good thing. I'd also give a strike to any batter who opens and closes his gloves after a pitch.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12351883/major-league-baseball-announce-pace-play-rules

Rules to speed up the game coming. No clock which is probably a good thing. I'd also give a strike to any batter who opens and closes his gloves after a pitch.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12351883/major-league-baseball-announce-pace-play-rules

Step in the right direction. Good to see that batters cannot go for a stroll between each pitch anymore.

• Advertisement

Big news today.
    B.J. Upton is no more. Refer to him as Melvin from now on.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Big news today.
    B.J. Upton is no more. Refer to him as Melvin from now on.

He's hoping it will have the same results as it did for Mike Stanton.

Red Sox sign Moncada for $31.5m so it'll cost them $63m total with the penalty on top.
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/110016130/red-sox-agree-to-terms-with-yoan-moncada

Red Sox sign Moncada for $31.5m so it'll cost them $63m total with the penalty on top.
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/110016130/red-sox-agree-to-terms-with-yoan-moncada

Is he ready to play in the majors now or how far away is he?

From listening to Dylan Hernandez on the Baseball Tonight podcast it sounds like he's definitely not major league ready. Apparently he's at least a year away. Farhan Zaidi pretty much said the same thing when the Dodgers were still in the running.

Ugh. Damn it. This is the one deal I wanted the Yankees to get this winter.

I'd much prefer to see the money go for Hamels....but still hard not to be excited about this guy from everything that's written about him.

Only thing I can see is if he is close enough to the majors to gamble with trading Mookie Betts or Xander Boegarts for Hamels, meaning we can keep Blake Swihart but still have a possible elite infield.

Who knows what the guys in charge are thinking, risky to trade Mookie Betts as I think he's going to be an incredible player, but maybe dangle Boegarts over the Phil's Jimmy Rollins-shaped hole (plus a lower prospect or 2) and get Hamels, then slot in Moncada in SS when he's ready.

Or just don't sign an ace pitcher and break my heart

Don't think Moncada is expected to be MLB ready until 2017 at the very earliest.

He's in there as preparation for having to move on from Ortiz/Napoli I'd say. I'm not sure its an indication that they'll trade away a prospect for pitching.

I'd expect Moncada to play 3rd base in the minors where I've read he's pretty comfortable.

2017 infield is probably. Sandoval at 1st, Pedroia at 2nd, Bogaerts SS and Moncada playing 3rd base with maybe Ramirez playing DH? Presuming Ortiz has retired.

Been a great off-season though. Future looks really promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Looks like Josh Hamilton is in trouble...for an offence described as 'worse' than a PED violation!

• Advertisement

Coeus wrote: »
    Looks like Josh Hamilton is in trouble...for an offence described as 'worse' than a PED violation!

:( really sad, sounds like he's slipping back into his old ways

Advertisement