Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014/2015 Off-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

3B Josh Donaldson of the A's to the Blue Jays for 3B Brett Lawrie, IF Franklin Barreto, RHP Kendall Graveman & LHP Sean Nolin.

Alex Anthopoulos just pulled off a hell of a trade and isn't done yet. Seems the Jays are going for it (again!) while Encarnacion and Bautista are still mashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mod9maple wrote: »
    3B Josh Donaldson of the A's to the Blue Jays for 3B Brett Lawrie, IF Franklin Barreto, RHP Kendall Graveman & LHP Sean Nolin.

Alex Anthopoulos just pulled off a hell of a trade and isn't done yet. Seems the Jays are going for it (again!) while Encarnacion and Bautista are still mashing.

Nice acquisition for Toronto. I know Lawrie, but who are the other guys they gave up, anyone important?

Nice acquisition for Toronto. I know Lawrie, but who are the other guys they gave up, anyone important?

They rave about Barreto and he does have all the tools. The pitchers figure to top out at the back of a rotation or bullpen long men. Lawrie has talent, no doubt, but is fragile physically and has a serious attitude problem at times.

The funny thing about this off-season is the fact Gibbons criticized the lack of maturity in the clubhouse from certain players and wanted more 'adult' players. Gose, Lawrie, Lind and Rasmus all gone - speaks volumes.

Michael Saunders to Toronto from Seattle for SP JA Happ.

More dealing from the Blue Jays and I doubt they're done. Still need some bullpen relief, a SP and a 2B.

Nick Markakis to the Braves is a done deal I believe. Torii Hunter to the Twins. Nelson Cruz goes to Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

So the guy once described by the former Dbacks GM as a young Derek Jeter is going to have a chance to be the next Derek Jeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Lester to Giants is almost a done deal according to Ken Rosenthal at FOX. 7 year deal north of $130m.

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Lester to Giants is almost a done deal according to Ken Rosenthal at FOX. 7 year deal north of $130m.

Just signed for the Cubs apparently. 6 years, $155m. I know they've been building young talent but do you reckon they could challenge this year?

Just signed for the Cubs apparently. 6 years, $155m. I know they've been building young talent but do you reckon they could challenge this year?
    Didn't see that coming, delighted it wasn't the Giants. Not sure if they will challenge this year. Depends on whether or not they sign another good starting pitcher. Building a solid team now but I think they'd be happy with a post season run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Red Sox have probably shot themselves in the foot with Lester, although I think a pitcher who will be 31 next year and wants $150 million can take a hike. I didn't want the Yankees going next or near him.
    Who are their current starting pitchers? No good hitting if you can't stop the other team from scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Red Sox have probably shot themselves in the foot with Lester, although I think a pitcher who will be 31 next year and wants $150 million can take a hike. I didn't want the Yankees going next or near him.
    Who are their current starting pitchers? No good hitting if you can't stop the other team from scoring.

Buchholz, Joe Kelly and Workman are the only 3 I'd say are definitely in the rotation as it stands, actually Workman could even drop to the bullpen eventually but should still be in the rotation by starting day as it stands.

Other 2 slots completely up for grabs. Give one of the outfielders to the Phillies for Hamels. People say he's overpriced but he's an excellent pitcher.

• Advertisement

Players in: Jimmy Rollins, Brandon McCarthy, Howie Kendrick. Not all finalised but as good as apparently.
    Players out: Dee Gordon, Dan Haren, Miguel Rojas, +some minor leaguers.

Matt Kemp deal with Padres is also nearing completion, in return they get Yasmani Grandal, pitchers Joe Ross and Zach Eflin.

Surprised they moved Gordon but Howie Kendrick is a good fit for an infield that needs more defense and power considering Hanley and Kemp are out.
    Didn't want to lose Kemp but he's the only Dodgers outfielder with any trade value apart from Puig. I'd have preferred to actually lose Puig because I can't see him ever being consistent or a good post-season player.

8-10 wrote: »
    Buchholz, Joe Kelly and Workman are the only 3 I'd say are definitely in the rotation as it stands, actually Workman could even drop to the bullpen eventually but should still be in the rotation by starting day as it stands.

Other 2 slots completely up for grabs. Give one of the outfielders to the Phillies for Hamels. People say he's overpriced but he's an excellent pitcher.

Rick Porcello from the Tigers has just filled one of those spots. Good addition if you ask me. Cespedes going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭boccy23

Rick Porcello from the Tigers has just filled one of those spots. Good addition if you ask me. Cespedes going the other way.
    Cespedes is like a rag doll at this stage. 1½ years in Oakland, ½ a season in Boston and now Detroit. Is he the problem?

Think we could have gotten more for Cespedes

8-10 wrote: »
    Think we could have gotten more for Cespedes

There were a couple of minor leaguers thrown in a well but I know what you mean. I suppose Detroit knew that Boston were looking to offload so they knew that they could get away with a low offer. However I like Porcello and think he's a good pitcher so it could be a win win deal.

Miami quietly building too and look like they could have a very good team next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Decided to watch a Random mets game and it's one from last season. I'm only 22 minutes in and it's top 1 and Dillon gee is having an utter disaster. Bases loaded twice and only one out so far. One walk and should have been two.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Decided to watch a Random mets game and it's one from last season. I'm only 22 minutes in and it's top 1 and Dillon gee is having an utter disaster. Bases loaded twice and only one out so far. One walk and should have been two.

Why would you put yourself through that...?

Why would you put yourself through that...?

I've no idea to be honest. Lack of sleep maybe made me have a moment of madness.

Oh yeah jack you heard the mets are moving the outfield walls at citi field in ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Oh yeah jack you heard the mets are moving the outfield walls at citi field in ?

Yeah, I'd heard that alright. I don't know if it's a big deal though. Unless they can move them back out when the away team are batting, I don't see the point...!!!!

Pitching looking good for next season (barring any injuries and De From coming back to earth a bit) but I still think they'll struggle to score runs. Washington are still a good bit ahead of everyone else in the division and I'm kind of worried about Miami now as well but I'm hopeful of at least getting over .500 for the first time in a million years but I still think the playoffs will be out of reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 qwerty87

I know it's tough for fans to accept giving up top prospects but I really think Mets should consider trading either Wheeler or Syndegaard to get Addison Russell from the Cubs.

There is a glaring hole a shortstop and Wilmer Flores is not the answer. Russell is one of the top position prospects in the game and could really take the Mets to the next level. You can always plug a gap in your rotation but to get an everyday future star like I believe Russell will become would be a real coup for the Mets. Cubs would probably be willing to trade as they already have Castro at SS

qwerty87 wrote: »
    I know it's tough for fans to accept giving up top prospects but I really think Mets should consider trading either Wheeler or Syndegaard to get Addison Russell from the Cubs.

There is a glaring hole a shortstop and Wilmer Flores is not the answer. Russell is one of the top position prospects in the game and could really take the Mets to the next level. You can always plug a gap in your rotation but to get an everyday future star like I believe Russell will become would be a real coup for the Mets. Cubs would probably be willing to trade as they already have Castro at SS

I agree a major upgrade at SS is needed but it would probably take both Wheeler and Syndergaard or some other multi player deal to get him. He's one of the Cubs top prospects and they aren't going to give him up lightly I wouldn't think.

I'm not so sure. I think the Cubs have a surplus of position prospects but a real shortage of young pitching. I think they gave up a couple of young arms in the Montero trade with Arizona. So to get a big league ready top pitching prospect like Wheeler or Syndergaard would be an attractive proposition for them, especially if they want to contend this year. Realistically how much game time is Russell going to get for them? For me its a trade that makes sense for both sides

I'm not so sure. I think the Cubs have a surplus of position prospects but a real shortage of young pitching. I think they gave up a couple of young arms in the Montero trade with Arizona. So to get a big league ready top pitching prospect like Wheeler or Syndergaard would be an attractive proposition for them, especially if they want to contend this year. Realistically how much game time is Russell going to get for them? For me its a trade that makes sense for both sides

Maybe you're right, I don't know enough about the Cubs and their short and long term plans so maybe they would trade him for a starting pitcher.

However the Mets are very reluctant to get rid of any of their young pitchers. At the Winter meetings they were trying (unsuccessfully) to flog the old guys Niese, Gee or Colon but no one was biting. Alderson also said during the week that you can never have enough pitching as someone always goes down and someone doesn't perform so you need decent backups to step up. But they can't go into the season with either Flores or Tejada t SS so something has to give. We'll wait and see I suppose.

Yes if they're not willing to trade any of their young pitchers I'd expect them to go after one one of the remaining free agent middle infielders. Jed Lowrie, Stephen Drew or even Asdrubal Cabrera but I don't think he's strong enough defensively to play SS anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Didn't see that coming, delighted it wasn't the Giants. Not sure if they will challenge this year. Depends on whether or not they sign another good starting pitcher. Building a solid team now but I think they'd be happy with a post season run.

I think the Cubs are at least a year away from contending this year. Lester is a huge signing, but also a long term risky one. The Cubs need pitching. I personally think that they went overboard with Lester, but they promised their fan base that they would spend money on the open market when the time was right.

That being said, you have to look at the division. The Cardinals are the Cardinals. Pittsburgh and Milwaukee are still there. Are the Cubs 15-20 games better than last year ? I highly doubt it, but we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Castro's days are numbered in Chicago. You have to remember that he is a draft pick of the 'old regime'. He is not a Theo Epstein guy.

Addison Russell is not going anywhere any time soon.

There were a couple of minor leaguers thrown in a well but I know what you mean. I suppose Detroit knew that Boston were looking to offload so they knew that they could get away with a low offer. However I like Porcello and think he's a good pitcher so it could be a win win deal.

Yeah a couple of minor leaguers thrown in on Boston's side!

Porcello is good but I'm wary of players coming off a career-season. Still only 26 I think but a year from free agency also.

Rotation now looks something like this:

Clay Buchholz
    Rick Porcello
    Joe Kelly
    Justin Masterson
    Wade Miley

.....still hoping that's not it and there's a Hamels or Shields to slot in but not sure at all that it will happen. Real shame we couldn't get Lester back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Derek Norris from Oakland A's to San Diego Padres. Safe to say the Oakland A's opening day lineup in 2015 will be completely unrecognisable from the one in 2014.

• Advertisement

Yes if they're not willing to trade any of their young pitchers I'd expect them to go after one one of the remaining free agent middle infielders. Jed Lowrie, Stephen Drew or even Asdrubal Cabrera but I don't think he's strong enough defensively to play SS anymore

There's talk today of a Tulo for Syndegaard (plus a couple of scrubs) deal with the Rockies.

Despite the desperate need for a SS and Troy is one of he best out there, I hope this deal doesn't get done. And not just because of giving up the best prospect they have. Tulowitski is so injury prone he'd probably only play a fraction of the games each year. I know you have to gamble at some stage but I think the risks for this going pear shaped are too great. And he's owed a shed load of money.

Advertisement