Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks - A Bit of Fun or Dangerous?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

So much for the peace and quiet. Off Cork Street, Dublin 8 - either ISIS are closer than we think or its banger time.

Ha! Brilliant.

Not too bad in D15. The odd one so far. Did see a dog dressed as a hotdog. Was class

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ha! Brilliant.

Not too bad in D15. The odd one so far. Did see a dog dressed as a hotdog. Was class

It says a lot for the state of the nation when a dog has to wear a disguise to avoid being tossed into a bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So much for the peace and quiet. Off Cork Street, Dublin 8 - either ISIS are closer than we think or its banger time.

Ha I used live there, was like a war zone on Halloween, the air would be thick with smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Fair few going off in D24. I can get to a hill near me a see them going up from a fair distance, still not a patch on years gone by displays. Loads of people out walking the dogs with determination and scantily clad wimmins headed for the luas into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

We probably all consider Sparklers to be the safest of the Fireworks. I've seen many parents giving them to even young kids because of this perception.

But it's a false perception. These 'harmless' sparklers actually account for about 16% of all firework injuries.

The problem with all fireworks is that most people vastly underestimate how dangerous they can be. For that reason, I'm happy that they are banned.
    Saying that, it means that many of those being sold illegally are not regulated to ensure that they are high quality. So this probably increases the risks and the number if injuries. Kinda the same argument for legalisation of drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Context is everything here :)
    If you let a child go off with bangers & rockets then that's extremely dangerous.
    But if a parent sets off the fireworks in front of their child then thats perfectly fine and fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We wont be happy until we turn Halloween into a Benetton advert.

Actually, there is one firework that should be banned EVERYWHERE in the world.... and that's those CatsEyes Bangers.

For those who don't know what they are. They are just like a regular bangers but have no fuse. They have a striking part on the top of the banger. Like the head of a match. Which is so bloody dangerous. At least with normal bangers you can light the fuse and throw away.

thunderdog wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a reduction in the use of of fireworks/bangers over the last 15 years or so? Maybe its just the areas I frequent now but not hearing nearly as many as i did when i was younger
    Berserker wrote: »
    I agree. It used to be mental around here and you'll only hear a small few tonight. That's why I was asking about their availability in Dublin City Centre. The place used to be awash with them.

Totally agree. Years ago you would have banger after banger going off. Every few seconds ... boooom ...boom ...boom. Looking back it was mad.
    The guards/customs/who ever must have really stepped up their game in recent times.

For that reason, I'm happy that they are banned.
    Saying that, it means that many of those being sold illegally are not regulated to ensure that they are high quality. So this probably increases the risks and the number if injuries.

If you think it probably increases the the risks and number of injuries, why on earth are you happy they're banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Actually, there is one firework that should be banned EVERYWHERE in the world.... and that's those CatsEyes Bangers.

For those who don't know what they are. They are just like a regular bangers but have no fuse. They have a striking part on the top of the banger. Like the head of a match. Which is so bloody dangerous. At least with normal bangers you can light the fuse and throw away.

Was watching a young girl light and throw a bunch of them. She was being very careful, throwing them right away after lighting them etc. But one went off in her hand the moment it was lit. Luckily she was fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If you think it probably increases the the risks and number of injuries, why on earth are you happy they're banned?

I was putting forward two contrasting views I have on the subject, effectively meaning that I'm 'on the fence'.

I was putting forward two contrasting views I have on the subject, effectively meaning that I'm 'on the fence'.

I know, I was being obtuse. I thought picking apart people's posts to start a fight was what you do on AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

The penalties were increased hugely a few years ago by the Criminal Justice Act 2006 where it became an offence to ignite a firework and possess one with the intention to sell. €10,000.00 fine and/or 5 year jail sentence became the max penalty. This obviously (and rightly) has decreased their use in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Advertisement