Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks - A Bit of Fun or Dangerous?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 5:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's that time of year again when the sky will be filled with fireworks and the noise of bangers and other fireworks will be heard everywhere.

Do AHers see it all as a bit of fun? Do you remember playing with bangers and fireworks from your childhood? Or do you see them as a danger to kids and animals? Should their sale be legalised and regulated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yes. A bit of fun and dangerous. A bit of fun because dangerous.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fun provided they are handled & used in the correct way.

I loved them when I was a kid, and hated them when we had a dog, as they drove him crazy!

I got a few of the bigger rockets up the North while passing through a few weeks ago, so, I'll let them off later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

In responsible hands they are fun. I don't really understand why they are still illegal here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Depends, used properly they are fine. Used by scumbags throwing them at school they are dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Nah they drive the dogs mad and the youth of today are too irresponsible with the ones they can get their hands on illegally, wouldn't want to make it any easier for them.

Edit: Not implying the youth of yesterday were any better. Maybe someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

no bonfires or rockets

poor kids will never know what a good Halloween is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

the youth of today are too irresponsible

Yeah when I was a youth we were completely responsible and grown up and nobody had any trouble with us using fireworks as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Ah the good old days of firing fireworks through people letter boxes, can't bate em.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Fun because it's dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Funzo is fun.

And dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Some gimp from Finglas blew the cock and balls off himself a few years ago after a firework /banger went off in his jacket pocket. So they are dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

Do ya wanna buy a couple a bangors for a fiver boss?

the youth of today are too irresponsible with the ones they can get their hands on illegally, wouldn't want to make it any easier for them.

Yes cos we never put them in telephone boxes and ran away or anything like that. Are they still openly on sale in Dublin city centre? (Henry street, Moore St.)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

They are dangerous if they are handled incorrectly. They are also a big waste on money a lot of money for 5 mins of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some gimp from Finglas blew the cock and balls off himself a few years ago after a firework /banger went off in his jacket pocket. So they are dangerous.

I thought he put a rocket up a cats arse and then put the cat down his trousers which then took the cock and balls off him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Ah the good old days of firing fireworks through people letter boxes, can't bate em.
    When I was a nipper the house got set on fire from some genius doing just that.

Hall carpet went up, and then the rest...

Even if that hadn't happened I think I'd still have no time for fireworks. Anything that relies on the intelligence of the sort of people that would buy fireworks in order to be safe can't be a good idea...

I'd call that natural selection at work...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Its started to rain now so that'll put a literal dampener on the idiots. Hopefully, it'll keep little begging brats away from the door as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's weird seeing a stack of fireworks as the first thing on your right when you go into Aldi over here in the UK.

Still don't think I'd bother buying any of them - there'll be people setting off loads of them for the next couple of months, so I'm sure I'll see plenty of them.

Its started to rain now so that'll put a literal dampener on the idiots. Hopefully, it'll keep little begging brats away from the door as well.

I don't mind the genuine kids coming round with their parents trick or treating..

But yeah, you can spot the little gurriers a mile away, tracksuit on, hood up.
    They get F all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yeah. Little explody things are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

It's no fun if there's no DANGER DANGER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I'm somewhat against them, but mostly because they drive the animals back home absolutely crazy; if some idiot can't be safe with them then that's on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Anyone else notice a reduction in the use of of fireworks/bangers over the last 15 years or so? Maybe its just the areas I frequent now but not hearing nearly as many as i did when i was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Fireworks are not nice unless a huge scale. The odd banger going off is hardly worth putting on a coat to go out to watch. It's like everything else you have responsible people using them and idiots who try to use them, usually ending up getting hurt themselves or injuring someone else.

thunderdog wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a reduction in the use of of fireworks/bangers over the last 15 years or so? Maybe its just the areas I frequent now but not hearing nearly as many as i did when i was younger

I agree. It used to be mental around here and you'll only hear a small few tonight. That's why I was asking about their availability in Dublin City Centre. The place used to be awash with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Nobody has the money for them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Noblong wrote: »
    Nobody has the money for them anymore.

People must be saving their firework money for water charges

They can be extremely dangerous, but fun and beautiful at the same time. I was flying to London recently and as the plane was landing, there were random fireworks in the distance. They looked spectacular against the night sky and the lights of London.

However on the other side.. in my old secondary school, they used to set fireworks and "blackcat bangers" off in the extremely narrow hallways. One girl actually suffered a blown eardrum after one was set off beside her. They would also set them off in the bins, which caused a lot of damage. The worst though was when we were at the local swimming pool for PE and there was a group of primary school kids there. One of them was being a normal kid and talking back to some of my classmates. One lights a banger and rolls it under the stall where the kid was. He picks it up ..

.. and realizes what it is in time to drop it, where it exploded and caused severe bruising to his legs and feet, but could have been much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

So much for the peace and quiet. Off Cork Street, Dublin 8 - either ISIS are closer than we think or its banger time.

Advertisement