Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Extension

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Keepan Eye wrote: »
    Its all very confusing - Some trades people will quote a price that seems reasonable. As a lay person most of us don't have a clue until its too late. Its not that they would do anything wrong but just that they will give you a Spec that cuts their costs.....and you won't know any different until they are long gone. Eg I asked Electricians doing a total house rewire to put in a cable to a room where in the future I was going to install a Shower. They were miserable enough to install a 6sq cable when to put in a good quality shower needed 10Sq.
    They chased the Walls and 4 years on I'm still eating brick dust. They didn't use proper chasing equipment to collect the dust

Saved them a few miserable quid but cost me a headache. I wonder about the Apprenticeship System. Just as a young person learns the Trade they seem to learn the 'Short cuts' to put it politely.

Which is why you need a detailed spec for what you want done before work commences, and then agreed in writing by both parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Keepan Eye

Too right you need a Spec--- by a very independent person who will deal with so called Trades persons who bring the profession into dis-repute. They need to have their Papers revoked and put out of business to protect the real Trades Persons who take pride in their work. Good for you kceire-- well said.

Got a quote for a 4sqmetre porch and 18sq metre kitchen. €90,000 including supervision by the architect and new central heating.
    Terrace house. Any body think thats a little high???

Got a quote for a 4sqmetre porch and 18sq metre kitchen. €90,000 including supervision by the architect and new central heating.

Depends on the works breakdown.is it just for an 18Sq. M extension and porch? Or are there other works?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Depends on spec of works and breakdown. I recently got our house renovated with a new extension for a lot less than that and works were carried out by a registered builder and signed off by an engineer.

• Advertisement

Depends on spec of works and breakdown. I recently got our house renovated with a new extension for a lot less than that and works were carried out by a registered builder and signed off by an engineer.

Thanks Sullydublin. Sounds like I need a second and third opinion. I figured €40K max, for 18 Sq metre extension and 4sq metre porch. It was an Architect specified build costed by a pro. The €90k included supervision by the architect of the build. I wasn't talking high spec kitchen or fittings - just pretty routine. Velux roof lights were dear but necessary. Anyhow anyone reading, be warned,,,,,,,almost cheaper to buy /invest in a country cottage or spanish appartment. Also keep in mind you WILL NOT see your money back on your extension if you decide to sell up.

Thanks Sullydublin. Sounds like I need a second and third opinion. I figured €40K max, for 18 Sq metre extension and 4sq metre porch. It was an Architect specified build costed by a pro. The €90k included supervision by the architect of the build. I wasn't talking high spec kitchen or fittings - just pretty routine. Velux roof lights were dear but necessary. Anyhow anyone reading, be warned,,,,,,,almost cheaper to buy /invest in a country cottage or spanish appartment. Also keep in mind you WILL NOT see your money back on your extension if you decide to sell up.

If you're based in Dublin I could pass on the number of our builder be no harm to get a few quotes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If you're based in Dublin I could pass on the number of our builder be no harm to get a few quotes.

Was this the builder who offered to get his own engineer to certofer the works!

Not the way to conduct a construction contract IMO

BryanF wrote: »
    Was this the builder who offered to get his own engineer to certofer the works!

Not the way to conduct a construction contract IMO

Good thing it's your own opinion as I ended up with an architect on the job and my own engineer. Sure we will encourage builders to rip people off and with some of them who quoted me didn't want the "The Hassle of an engineer or architect " not to mention there is a lot of builders out there without the right insurance & liability.

Good thing it's your own opinion as I ended up with an architect on the job and my own engineer. Sure we will encourage builders to rip people off and with some of them who quoted me didn't want the "The Hassle of an engineer or architect " not to mention there is a lot of builders out there without the right insurance & liability.

It would be my opinion also. Never and i mean never allow the builder of your project to appoint his own engineer to certify works that he is carrying out.

When you involved in the business you see way too many conflicts of interest and where it goes wrong. Unfortunely you would not be involved in the business so when it comes to your own project you get stary eyes and are taking in by the builders sweet talk.

Always appoint an independent engineer to design, supervise and certify the works.

• Advertisement

Thanks sullydublin. I may come back to you on your offer. Mind you at the moment I think I'LL just stay as I am and make better use of the space. I can do that bit myself.....just not good with Block work. Some of Those Brickies and plasterers are beyond me ....dunno how they do it. CLass work. Plumbing, wood and Electrics I can do [ modest amounts mind you]. All the very best.

Advertisement