Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It’s time for an “American jihad”

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

K4t wrote: »
    You know you're doing something right when those people want to blow you up.

The reality is we probably wouldn't even have computers or even the right to engage in this conversation today if not for the US. We owe the US and should aspire to its core ideals set out by the founding fathers.
    The problem with that last bit though is that their Founding Fathers would likely be rolling over in their graves if they could see what their creation has been up to the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

the_dude_1 wrote: »
    The majority of the people who posted on this thread are anti-american. It would be a good bet they have never even visited the country.

It's a great country. And in terms of freedom, Ireland is far behind.

I started this thread. I'm a green card holder. I spent 18 months in America and will be likely to do so again. To keep it, I still have to file American tax returns. Only America and Liberia make citizens and long term residents pay taxes when they are abroad. The freedom to get your pocket picked by uncle Sam.

I lived in America and got to see the natural beauty of the country. I thought Ireland was beautiful. I got to experience American hospitality first hand. I thought Irish folk were hospitable. American people are great. When they invite you to a cook out, or to stay with them, or to actually meet them again; they actually mean it. For this "hey, great to see you, we go for a pint" Paddy, that was nuts.

Unfortunately, they treat their youth and urban poor worse than any European could imagine. American graduates throw up their hats with a mean average debt of $26,000. Not including interest.

The land of the free currently imprisons 2.2 million people. More women than any middle eastern backwater. The number of prisoners in the United States exceeds the combined numbers of doctors, lawyers, and clergy in the entire country. The United States holds more than 20 percent of all of the world’s prisoners, despite having only about 4 percent of the world’s population.

But f*ck it. You guys are free to own shooters and to call someone a nig nog. That's what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I started this thread. I'm a green card holder. I spent 18 months in America and will be likely to do so again. To keep it, I still have to file American tax returns. Only America and Liberia make citizens and long term residents pay taxes when they are abroad. The freedom to get your pocket picked by uncle Sam.

I lived in America and got to see the natural beauty of the country. I thought Ireland was beautiful. I got to experience American hospitality first hand. I thought Irish folk were hospitable. American people are great. When they invite you to a cook out, or to stay with them, or to actually meet them again; they actually mean it. For this "hey, great to see you, we go for a pint" Paddy, that was nuts.

Unfortunately, they treat their youth and urban poor worse than any European could imagine. American graduates throw up their hats with a mean average debt of $26,000. Not including interest.

The land of the free currently imprisons 2.2 million people. More women than any middle eastern backwater. The number of prisoners in the United States exceeds the combined numbers of doctors, lawyers, and clergy in the entire country. The United States holds more than 20 percent of all of the world’s prisoners, despite having only about 4 percent of the world’s population.

But f*ck it. You guys are free to own shooters and to call someone a nig nog. That's what matters.

Well said. Heads up on the taxes thing. The US has a tax treaty with pretty much every developed nation in the world. You shouldn't have to pay taxes to the US, unless you're in Iran or somewhere not on the list....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Well said. Heads up on the taxes thing. The US has a tax treaty with pretty much every developed nation in the world. You shouldn't have to pay taxes to the US, unless you're in Iran or somewhere not on the list....

Unless you earn 90k per annum, you won't owe anything. You still have to file your returns. For green card holders, failure to file, could result in your green card being rescinded. I was never told this beforehand.

Always read the fine print.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Unless you earn 90k per annum, you won't owe anything. You still have to file your returns. For green card holders, failure to file, could result in your green card being rescinded. I was never told this beforehand.

Always read the fine print.

Actually, even if you earn over 90k, if you are in a country with a tax treaty, you won't pay taxes in the US. If you are in a country without a tax treaty you have to pay for anything over 90k..I found that out when looking at a job in the Middle East that paid serious money. Because there was no tax treaty. If I moved back to Ireland and earned over 90k, I could file a tax return and wouldn't be expected to pay a cent in tax to the US, since there's an agreement between the US and Ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement