Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best thing you've bought?

Options
  • 31-10-2014 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Simple enough question, doesn't need to be expensive or elaborate.

I'm putting a pair of prescription Oakley sunglasses in here as I'm pretty sure they're the best value item I've bought, probably the best thing I've bought in terms of daily use etc.

Given interweb irony, they actually cost me about tree fiddy (euros), but I've had them 4 years now and they're still the biz.

Laptops, phones etc have either broken or been lost in time, so I couldn't put them in here. Had a great bike, but rarely used it so I can't consider that.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Engagement ring, absolutely everything I could live without or replace at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

♫ The best things in life are free ♪ ♩

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

A hard silicon pan scraper. Got it in Meadows and Byrne years ago for €1 and it gets so much use, great for cleaning a pot after scrambled eggs. Second the prescrition sunglasses too, I would probably be lost without them. Mine are about ten years old and have long ago paid their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

A hard silicon pan scraper. Got it in Meadows and Byrne years ago for €1 and it gets so much use, great for cleaning a pot after scrambled eggs. Second the prescrition sunglasses too, I would probably be lost without them. Mine are about ten years old and have long ago paid their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

That minidisk player.

• Advertisement

A breakfast roll this morning.

I'm a man of simple pleasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My favourite thing is my ipod - but that was a gift. Apart from that nothing really stands out.
    Many years back I purchased some quality time with an insanely hot Pakistani prostitute - which was money well spent if that counts!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

my wife ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

an internet radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭murray.eoghan

airsoft Blackwater 1911r2. So much fun:cool:

or my giant talon 27.5 fantastic bike. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    my wife ...

I don't know, looking at your location wouldn't suggest she's a domestic goddess!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

A 1.50 screwdriver from tesco, best thing I've ever bought, so many uses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I bought a merc of a guy who knew nothing about cars. It was an older one, but it had a new kompressor engine fitted in the last few years.

Car was bought for next to nothing, the engine alone is worth 1500 easy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Best thing I ever bought?

This

http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmate-Steering-Attachable-Surface/dp/B00E1D1GY6 (check out the reviews, they're amazing)

I use it every day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My sound bar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

MacBook Pro 13' Retina...

I love that thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭pavb2

A piano about 10 years ago cost about €4000 couldn't put a value on it as it encouraged my two kids to take up and appreciate music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Contact lenses. Hate wearing glasses outside the house so my contacts are the business.

And my ghd. I know it seems so superficial but I love it.

Other than that, I'd say money I've spent on holidays or concerts has been well spent given the great experiences and memories I have of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My arcade machine, always wanted one growing up and was like a kid when I finally got it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A sliced pan.

Nothing has beaten it yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Laser eye surgery. I hated glasses and got them done when I was 21. Already got my money back on what I would have spent on contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Either my PSP, the school tour to France or the first time I bought acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Car. Freedom to go where I want, when I want.
    Went to trim castle on a whim last Summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Pair of adidas predator boots about 11 years back. Were going strong for 5 years. I played football at least 3 times a week. All I had to do was replace the soles and not be an ejjit and walk on solid ground with them thus blunting and ruining the studs. They were also reduced from 120 euros to 60 euros. An absolute steal considering the use I got out of them.

Also a shoutout to any Nokia phone I have ever bought. Never ever broke and sustained and endured through years of use. Only reason there gone is due to the advent of smartphones. Still sitting in my locker beside my bed ready to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A politician

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Desk fan. Have worked in a collection of insanely hot office's populated by people who are always cold, no matter how high the temperature. But with a fan on all day, lovely and comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Splashed out for an expensive back pack years ago , fecker still going strong after hundreds of heavy uses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A Toyota Celica. It was a fanny magnet. Well it wasn't really, but I loved it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A North Face zip-up top. I bought it back in 2007. It cost probably around €90. I've worn it A LOT, and it's still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Akrasia wrote: »
    Best thing I ever bought?

This

http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmate-Steering-Attachable-Surface/dp/B00E1D1GY6 (check out the reviews, they're amazing)

I use it every day

It'd be grand for the motorway but a bit of a nuisance on the backroads I'd say :pac:

Advertisement