Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next target races?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm guessing from you username you're a female? If so they are some pretty good track times you have there, you must have been competitive at that age running those times!
    Yes, female and thanks. Yes I ran competitively, probably peaked age 18-19. It seems/is another lifetime ago. I suppose the body doesn't forget though. I don't seriously expect to approach these times but I'm curious as to how close I can come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Yes, female and thanks. Yes I ran competitively, probably peaked age 18-19. It seems/is another lifetime ago. I suppose the body doesn't forget though. I don't seriously expect to approach these times but I'm curious as to how close I can come.

You could think about doing the national masters next year? If you could get in and around 2:30 for the 800m and sub 5 for the 1500m, you'd be looking at a medal.

And you're obviously fit right now if you've just ran a marathon (and were thinking of 3:30) - depending on how keen you are to get back to track stuff, you could even think about doing indoors after Christmas?

Sacksian wrote: »
    You could think about doing the national masters next year? If you could get in and around 2:30 for the 800m and sub 5 for the 1500m, you'd be looking at a medal.

And you're obviously fit right now if you've just ran a marathon (and were thinking of 3:30) - depending on how keen you are to get back to track stuff, you could even think about doing indoors after Christmas?

Thanks Sacksian for the encouragement! It's all the unknown really. I have my heart set on 5 and 10k PBS over the winter with maybe a couple of cross country races thrown in so may give the indoors a miss this season. I'll have a chat with the club coach over the next week or two and make a plan. You're a track athlete yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    The plan at the moment:

Cork BHAA 5k on Nov 16th in Little Island if the body feels recovered enough after DCM. I've never ran a 5k but I'd like to get as close to 19min as possible.

FYI, I believe this is a 6K, not a 5K as advertised on the BHAA site!

I was looking to PB at this also but now that its a 6K I will do a parkrun instead, probably Clon.

Thanks Sacksian for the encouragement! It's all the unknown really. I have my heart set on 5 and 10k PBS over the winter with maybe a couple of cross country races thrown in so may give the indoors a miss this season. I'll have a chat with the club coach over the next week or two and make a plan. You're a track athlete yourself?

There's also a 3k masters indoors if you change your mind!

• Advertisement

Haha maybe, when?

Haha maybe, when?

15/03 National Master Indoor Championships Athlone

Plenty of time to get the 5k & 10k pbs beforehand!

You can look up the results from previous years for indoor and outdoor on Athletics Ireland to give yourself an idea of how competitive you think you'd be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

viperlogic wrote: »
    FYI, I believe this is a 6K, not a 5K as advertised on the BHAA site!

I was looking to PB at this also but now that its a 6K I will do a parkrun instead, probably Clon.

Probably guarantee yourself a PB at the 6k race! ;)

Clearlier wrote: »
    Probably guarantee yourself a PB at the 6k race! ;)

Funnily enough there are other 6K's in the BHAA series! Current 6K PB is 22:45

Now that I got my sub 3 in Amsterdam the other week that's the end of marathons for me bar doing one of the majors in 2016 as have a GFA for a few of them but will do it in tourist mode. Want to focus now on 5K-10K's and swimming. Only did two races during my marathon training block of a 10M and HM so really missed the short distance racing. Will make up for that now as love the buzz from short distance racing. Have signed up to the 10K Run in the Dark but wont race that flat out as too dangerous. Will do a 5K Parkrun sometime this month once body has fully recovered and I've put the legs through some speed work. Will do some of the remaining BHAA races as we do well as a team and usualy pick up prizes! Will do the Togher 5K xmas run as thats always a good event and may do the Belgooly Stephens day run as always a good one to burn off the xmas dinner! Have also registered for the John Treacy 10M as that is always a great race, just nope the weather is kinder to us this year! That hail last year was painful! Will see what New Years Day race is on also. I think Bandon AC usually host one.

None is a target race as such, it more just the enjoyment of racing thou the Parkrun 5K will be a target race and more than likely the John Treacy 10M.

Wednesday 12-11-2014 - Run in the Dark 10K
    Sunday 16-11-2014 - BHAA 6K
    Saturday x-11-2014 - Clonakilty Parkrun 5K

Sunday 7-12-2014 - Glenville 4M (maybe)
    Sunday 14-12-2014 - BHAA 4M
    Thursday 26-12-2014 - Belgooly 4M (maybe)
    Saturday 28-12-2014 - Togher 5K

Thursday 1-1-2015 - Bandon 5M
    Sunday 11-1-2015 - BHAA 5K (date TBC)
    Sunday 18-1-2015 - BHAA 4M (date TBC)

Sunday 1-2-2015 - John Treacy 10M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No number transfers.

Read the forum charter.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Entered the Reading half in the end, but probably won't race this side of Christmas because the 5 miler I was looking at is on the same day as the Harlequins v Leinster game on the opposite side of London.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Entered the Reading half in the end, but probably won't race this side of Christmas because the 5 miler I was looking at is on the same day as the Harlequins v Leinster game on the opposite side of London.

Don't understand the problem :confused:

Advertisement