Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next target races?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

SamforMayo wrote: »
    10 km on Dec 7 th. Run at least one park run between now and x mas. Would like to sign up for a HM for around March but can't see anything in the West.

Not particularly convenient to you either but I would recommend the Omagh HM (March 2015 date TBC). Did it in 2013 and would like to go back. Very well organised and a nice course in and around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'm already signed up for the Hamburg Marathon in April.
    Will take in some shorter races in between. A few parkruns, Jingle Bells 5k, Raheny 5 mile, a couple of 10k's and possibly Bohermeen HM (seems like a good fit about 8 weeks out). I'm definitely not doing any races in double digits this side of Christmas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Pm1e wrote: »
    Are you registered for London?

Yup - got in through the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Next planned goal race is a half in March, still trying to decide between Reading half and the new North London half (Barnet Copthall to Wembley and back)

I've signed up for the North London half, having done Reading the past two years. Reading is a decent option certainly, good flat(ish) course and pretty well supported. North London obviously has the stadium finish as well too though which was always one of Reading's big selling points!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Plan for next year at the moment:

London Marathon

Summit Mount Snowdon (Highest Mt in Wales)

Chicago or New York Marathon

Will try for sub 3.20 at one of the marathon's, not sure which one.
    Will also try and run 1 race for each shorter distance and see if i can PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

What is the best website for finding races in Ireland/Dublin? I've not really found a good one, with comprehensive listings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

What is the best website for finding races in Ireland/Dublin? I've not really found a good one, with comprehensive listings.

I've found www.lindienaughton.com to be the most comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

this page should list all licenced races
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/runzone/fixtures/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RayCun wrote: »
    this page should list all licenced races
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/runzone/fixtures/

Doesn't cover NI though. Athletics NI site doesn't seem very comprehensive unfortunately. the Lindie Naughton one at least seems to combine the two jurisdictions, which is handy for people who like to see what's going on throughout the island. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Will be doing any and as many parkruns as I can.
    Have said it before, but this time I really will train... honest... and aim for a sub 2:50 in London.

After that I'm not entirely sure. I'd like to take another 12 seconds off my 5km time and get a sub 17, and another similar number of seconds off the 10km time and get a sub 35, and another similar number of seconds off the half time and get a sub 79. Not going to get too worked up about any target though. Main thing is just to keep racing and see if I can manage to win the club championship trophy for a 3rd year running.

Will probably do DCM next year depending on what else goes on, but it's not likely to be a major target and expect to just be running for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Pm1e wrote: »
    why not save the millions and do one of the Irish middle distance events? I am going for TriAthy in May (a nice run up to Austria) and last August I did Ireman in Bangor. All very reasonable compare to the official 70.3 events.:)

+1.

Joe - The Lost Sheep should definitely be on your hit list, if you are going for HIM in 2015.

Athy Double Olympic is a pretty benign "half", as long as the bonus 1.1km swim distance doesn't put you off.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Nice thread.
    In order:
    Feb:Donadea 50km (it's in the glove box Anto, keep forgetting to post it) *target race*: just missed 4:30 last year by a few seconds so going for a comfortable 4:25 or maybe a 4:15 next year as punishment :), main aim is to be steady pacing over the entire 50km, unlike previous attempts where I hammered off and suffered on the last 2 laps.
    March:Mallow 10mile, local race and always a good day out with a nice bit of rivalry at work. *Not a goal race* got in under 70min last year but it interrupted my training for a longer ultra - so I might just coast around this year.
    May? TBC :Wicklow Way Solo 127 KM*target race* A fantastic event, looking forward to this already, a super course and a nice friendly event where people genuinely want everyone to finish. Aim is to not get passed by as many of the relay runners - ie to be ahead of them. Would like to knock 2hrs off current time but depends on conditions on the day.
    August: Trans Scania 246km *Pipe Dream Race* Unsure if Mrs B.Harte will leave me disappear to Sweden for a few days, and sure if she's okay with that I might as well push my luck and go somewhere a little more Alpine - for a few days....:):)
    September: Kerry Way Ultra 186km *target race*. Suffered loads this year but finished it, learnt so much again so will go back for more, Target is take a decent chunk off my current time - mostly through better race management and fuelling strategy. Might depend on the Sweden situation above.
    I know there are other races in early planing that I would be interested in - rumours of another 100km, a 100mile and even a 24hr down this neck of the woods - but until I know more I can't plan.
    My training will be similar to this year. Time running more important than distance - lots of elevation gain and terrain specific training. Generally maintain 4-6 hrs over winter ramping up to 12/15hrs coming up to events. I have 3 core runs every week Monday heavy trail / mountain with 1 or 2 buddies, Tuesday 12.5km forestry run with a larger group, Thursday speed work / intervals with the same larger group. I usually do either a longer solo run on Sat/Sun or join a group LSR on Sat - depends on a few factors.
    May to September is my most unplanned time - there's a few side projects I'd like to try - Beara Way non stop would be nice, and maybe the length of cork off road if possible. Donadea 100km if the timing suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Current plan for 2015

Feb Donadea 50K
    Aug IM70.3 Dublin (Half IM tri)
    Aug/Sept Beast of the East (Olympic Tri)
    Sept Marathon - Ireland, if I can find one
    Oct DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I now have become an unofficial mentor to my friend that watched me in the DCM.....in fact, he ran 16K that evening as a direct result of the buzz of race.:D So funny, but he seems very serious.....

He wants to jump from 10K's to HM's in the next few months. Any recommendations for the Dublin/Kildare area in the next few months, I know about the Clontarf HM in November but just want another one or two options for him is case he is not ready??

Me? Run a 10k race November and try to stay at 15K over the longer runs at the weekend. Maybe a HM before the end of the year with my buddy.

2015:
    Then the usual cycle of Raheny 5, SPAR 10K in the PP, HM's x 2 maybe and then defo the DCM in 2015!
    I do the odd Duathlon too, just because I bought a bike on the BTW scheme, but I am finding it hard to even look at the bike in my hall at home as I just want to keep running after the DCM prepp and race!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Still thinking about next marathon.

Have entered the Clontarf HM in November and would like to do a 5km before Christmas at some point.

Then will probably start 2015 with the Raheny 5 mile race again.

Not sure after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

This year had a lot of firsts for me so
    I'll be trying to improve on these next year.

Connemara ultra, should be able to knock off 40mins on last year. Ran very conservative and enjoyed the whole expierence.

Belfast marathon. Aiming for a sub 3:15 which I feel I could achieve currently. This years time was 3:21.

Portumna 100k. I'll be aiming for 9:30, around 30mins off my current time(in tralee)

The main goal is Connemara 100. All the training will be geared towards this and if the other goals look to compromise this then they'll be put on the back burner.

Back to Dublin in october. Ill wait til September to book, see how Belfast and the 100 mile went and decide on a goal then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I presume Tralee is too far south? St Patrick's weekend

Oh I'm afraid so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Joe - The Lost Sheep should definitely be on your hit list, if you are going for HIM in 2015.

Athy Double Olympic is a pretty benign "half", as long as the bonus 1.1km swim distance doesn't put you off

Already entered Athy Olympic, when they sent out their early bird thing a while ago. Lost sheep is a great call, deffo one I will consider when their 2015 dates are released.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

smashiner wrote: »
    I now have become an unofficial mentor to my friend that watched me in the DCM.....in fact, he ran 16K that evening as a direct result of the buzz of race.:D So funny, but he seems very serious.....

He wants to jump from 10K's to HM's in the next few months. Any recommendations for the Dublin/Kildare area in the next few months, I know about the Clontarf HM in November but just want another one or two options for him is case he is not ready??

Me? Run a 10k race November and try to stay at 15K over the longer runs at the weekend. Maybe a HM before the end of the year with my buddy.

2015:
    Then the usual cycle of Raheny 5, SPAR 10K in the PP, HM's x 2 maybe and then defo the DCM in 2015!
    I do the odd Duathlon too, just because I bought a bike on the BTW scheme, but I am finding it hard to even look at the bike in my hall at home as I just want to keep running after the DCM prepp and race!!:rolleyes:

Bohermeen AC in Meath do a HM in early March I believe which gets very good reviews. Might be a bit out of your way though.
    Still thinking about next marathon.

Have entered the Clontarf HM in November and would like to do a 5km before Christmas at some point.

Then will probably start 2015 with the Raheny 5 mile race again.

Not sure after that.

Would you consider the Jingle Bells 5K in early December?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Possibly Adrian - would have to work afterwards but it should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

The plan at the moment:

Cork BHAA 5k on Nov 16th in Little Island if the body feels recovered enough after DCM. I've never ran a 5k but I'd like to get as close to 19min as possible.

Jan '15 BHAA 4m in Little Island; Target = 25.30; PB = 25.52

Feb '15 Carrigaline 5m; Target 32.00; PB = 32.55

Mar '15 Ballycotton 10; Target 69min; PB = 71.17

Apr '15 BHAA UCC 10km; PB = 40.37; Target = 39.59

June '15 Cork City Marathon; PB = 3.29.24; Target 3.19.59

July '15 Fit Magazine 10km; PB = 40.37; Target = 39.40

Sep '15 Charleville HM; PB = 1.32.37; Target = 1.29.59

Oct '15 Turning 40 next year so I'd like to target a european marathon to celebrate. At the moment I've set my sights on Munich. A work colleague ran it this year and gave a good report. Other possibilities are Frankfurt, Berlin or a nice looking one I've come across that goes from Nice to Cannes in November. I'd like to be in a position to target 3.15 by then. Might as well aim high. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Short term plan is the Jingle Bells 5k in 5 weeks, after I get the small matter of our County senior on Sunday out of the way! Hoping (rather optimistically) to break 17 minutes, but would also be happy with a low 17 minute time. Longer terms plan is for the outdoor track season, going to consider entering the nationals if I could do it without being embarassed. Hope to try and run a good 1500m time as well but won't set a target just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The next goal is National Indoor 400m. Have never ran indoors in my life so have no idea what to expect. I guess if I run sub 55.5 indoors by then I'll be happy. The long term goal is sub 54 outdoors and a good performance at National Outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Not sure what to do now. I think I'll concentrate on my 5km and 10km PBs for a while. Looking for a sub 20min 5km (currently 21.27) and a sub 42min 10km (currently 43.56).

Another aim is to do a bit more hill running and maybe take in the IMRA Leinster League (my wife is due our first baby in April so all plans to be taken with a pinch of salt!)

Deffo planning on more marathons in the future too. Even fancy having a go at a 50km at some stage.

I think joining a club at this stage might be wise. I'm living in Dundrum at the moment and I know there's a fair few clubs around but does anyone know if any of them do a bit of hill running aswell as their regular runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

I'm going to target a 10k PB before the end of the year with all my marathon fitness. After that who knows. I've been saying all along I wouldn't have time to train properly for a marathon next year. But tonight my better half said "you know the only person saying you won't do another marathon is you." I think I have a window to go for one in September so I entered the draw for Berlin just now... My Dublin time is exactly double the "fast runner" qualifying time - it's a sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I seem to train better when I have races signed up for and my impulsive nature really compliments that :)

Training over next few weeks will be a lot of easy running building back up the milage after DCM and then getting a few sessions under my belt for Waterford 1/2.

New year will see me straight into prep for Rotterdam. I really enjoyed the DCM and made peace with the marathon again so I really feel this is the one to go for a sub 2:40. 2015 may also be the year I take the plunge into ultras, I'm curious as to how I'd fare though it may offend some ultra runners calling a 50k an ultra. Later in the year I may or may not run another marathon but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dreaming about owning a shiny new 2:35 marathon PB by this time next year.
    • Dec 6th 2014 - Waterford 1/2 - signed up
    • Feb 1st 2015 - John Treacy - 10 miler signed up
    • Feb 15th 2015 -Donadea 50k - considering as a training run for marathon
    • March ?? 2015 - Mallow 10 mile - will likely sign up
    • April 12th 2015 -Rotterdam Marathon signed up
    • Autumn 2015 - Frankfurt/Chicago Marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

jebuz wrote: »
    it may offend some ultra runners calling a 50k an ultra
    -
    Donadea 50k - considering as a training run for marathon
    Ist one wont ,second one may:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TooMuchIronMan

My original plan had me successfully finally breaking 4 hours on Monday on my 5th attempt and then chucking this masochistic marathon gig completely! Didn't quite work out that way - an injury 3 weeks before the race which meant I couldn't run until raceday, plus some poor dietary/alcohol choices during that period and my complete inability to tolerate heat/humidity meant I missed out on that target. Still a PB but it was a very low bar and I'm mad as hell at myself.

So the new plan is to find a marathon which is guaranteed to be at a cooler temperature and follow a proper training plan for the first time ever rather than just going out and running randomly. Most people learn that lesson after the first agonising marathon experience, I'm a bit more stubborn/stupid than average.

Like a lot of people here it seems I've just ordered the P&D book! I got the Hanson book on kindle while I'm waiting for P&D to arrive and it looks like it might suit me better from an initial scan. Both of them have a lot more mileage than I'm used to, I'm injury prone despite running slowly all the time, but I'll read both over the next couple of weeks and probably use one of them to aim for Rotterdam in April (which can be hot I know but generally isn't and at least it's flat). Anything later than April is out for temperature reason until Dublin again.

I was toying with the idea of another marathon this year and treating DCM as a long run as I feel I was in good shape for once a month ago. Clonakilty is too hilly and I don't like the new course, there's a marathon in December just south of Rotterdam which would be 5 degrees or so and flat but I'd only be doing it just to chase a time which doesn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi, I've still to post a report on the mentored novice thread. My first marathon on Monday left me suitably chastened (I did respect it, honest...just now I respect it even more!). Like many, the heat and humidity left me struggling even before half way. I finished in 3:54 and plan another attempt at breaking 3:30 (probably 3:20 next time) but not until 2016.
    In early 2015 i want to break 20 for 5k and get as close as I can to 40 for 10k. I may also do some T&F for old times sake and see how close/far I can get to my teenage 800m, 1500m and 3000m PBs (2:14, 4:34 and 9:50 respectively). This is at a remove of nearly a quarter of a century so we'll see, it may take a couple of seasons to even regain any track form.
    My twenties were spent avoiding running, my thirties saw a few attempts at fitness but nothing sustained. My forties (put on the asics again in January)....the running decade :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi, I've still to post a report on the mentored novice thread. My first marathon on Monday left me suitably chastened (I did respect it, honest...just now I respect it even more!). Like many, the heat and humidity left me struggling even before half way. I finished in 3:54 and plan another attempt at breaking 3:30 (probably 3:20 next time) but not until 2016.
    In early 2015 i want to break 20 for 5k and get as close as I can to 40 for 10k. I may also do some T&F for old times sake and see how close/far I can get to my teenage 800m, 1500m and 3000m PBs (2:14, 4:34 and 9:50 respectively). This is at a remove of nearly a quarter of a century so we'll see, it may take a couple of seasons to even regain any track form.
    My twenties were spent avoiding running, my thirties saw a few attempts at fitness but nothing sustained. My forties (put on the asics again in January)....the running decade :-)

I'm guessing from you username you're a female? If so they are some pretty good track times you have there, you must have been competitive at that age running those times!

Advertisement