Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bars of soap

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

it's early and I read this as bars of soup !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I remember this poem/song from years ago

I wish I was a bar of soap
    And I your bath I be
    I wish I was a bar of soap
    And what a sight I see

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think it's kinda funny that the 'if you don't have a shower every single day you're a disgusting disease ridden bag of stench" brigade are possibly covered in more bacteria than someone who showers every 2nd or third day.

When you shower, you're disturbing microbes from your skin and transferring them around you and around the shower area. Surgeons are not allowed to shower just before an operation because there is an increased risk of infection

As well as this, showering too often can damage your 'horny layer' which is the protective outer layer of skin that keeps your skin moist and prevents damage to the actively growing layers of skin underneath

Studies have shown that there is very little difference between the microbial makeup of your skin several hours after a shower, compared with several days after a shower. These studies focused on normal soap, not antt-bacterial soap, but there is a risk associated with anti-bacterial soap because if you eliminate the bacteria from your skin, you make it easier for foreign bacteria to colonise it. (bacteria, like all other forms of life, are competing for resources with other species, and your skin is one of those resources)

Showering every couple of days is probably the best balance between maintaining personal hygiene and maintaining healthy skin. (along with frequent hand washing) People who shower too often can be pre-maturely ageing their skin
    http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/7/2/70-0225_article

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Akrasia wrote: »
    As well as this, showering too often can damage your 'horny layer'

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Hoop66

catallus wrote: »
    ...the morass of filth and expectorant which is AH...

Ah, le mot juste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You think soap's bad OP? Up to 3 percent of your body is germs.

You've got nowhere to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭paulbok

That tiny strand of hair embedded in the soap. Just a regular hair .... or a stray pube?!!

Never mind the bar of soap, what about the shared bath sponge that ends up looking like a hedgehog? :eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    lol

I could have used the latin name but where's the fun in that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Agricola wrote: »
    When I moved into a student flat with a buddy, we used the same bar of soap in the shower for the first month or so.... until he told me he routinely used it to freshen up his ass crack.

Joey: Hey, why can't we use the same toothbrush, but we can use the same soap?

Chandler: Because soap is soap. It's self-cleaning.

Joey: All right, well next time you take a shower, think about the last thing I wash and the first thing you wash.

You think soap's bad OP? Up to 3 percent of your body is germs.

You've got nowhere to run.

There are 10 times more bacterial cells in your body than human cells
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-humans-carry-more-bacterial-cells-than-human-ones/

most of these are essential or at least benign and exist as an eco-system in balance with one another. The next big medical advance will probably come from a greater understanding of the role these microbes play on our body and how altering the balance can cause and cure disease.

We could some day look back at our use of anti-bacterial products as just as laughable as we currently view the Victorian food additives

http://www.victorianweb.org/science/health/health1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The bane of my life.

Are they really the germ infested dens of doom that I fear them to be? They really freak me out, lying there in a little dish beside the sink, maybe for months, eugh!! Any expert opinions? Or just expert AH opinions will do

Who uses soap nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Dove is great stuff, that one quarter moisturising cream makes all the difference!

Once a week with that Lifebuoy soap though, and it's like a chemical peel! :eek:

You'd pay good money for a peel in a salon! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think it's kinda funny that the 'if you don't have a shower every single day you're a disgusting disease ridden bag of stench" brigade are possibly covered in more bacteria than someone who showers every 2nd or third day.

When you shower, you're disturbing microbes from your skin and transferring them around you and around the shower area. Surgeons are not allowed to shower just before an operation because there is an increased risk of infection

As well as this, showering too often can damage your 'horny layer' which is the protective outer layer of skin that keeps your skin moist and prevents damage to the actively growing layers of skin underneath

Studies have shown that there is very little difference between the microbial makeup of your skin several hours after a shower, compared with several days after a shower. These studies focused on normal soap, not antt-bacterial soap, but there is a risk associated with anti-bacterial soap because if you eliminate the bacteria from your skin, you make it easier for foreign bacteria to colonise it. (bacteria, like all other forms of life, are competing for resources with other species, and your skin is one of those resources)

Showering every couple of days is probably the best balance between maintaining personal hygiene and maintaining healthy skin. (along with frequent hand washing) People who shower too often can be pre-maturely ageing their skin

I'd still rather sit beside someone who has taken their chances on washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'd sooner risk damaging my horny layer than walk around with a distinct hum of stale sweat emanating from every pore in my body tbh.

I'm not a surgeon either so the "I don't want to disturb my microbes" doesn't really wash :D

Advertisement