Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon - glycogen management while running

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

I hit the wall in Dublin 2013 after using gels and carb drinks in training and about 5 gels in the race. I may have under carb loaded but hit the wall hard at 20 miles. I was probably running a little fast too.

In London 2014 did all my long training on water, nothing extra beforehand. Only used orange juice during intervals etc for a pick me up. Carb loaded for 3 days at 7g per kg of bodyweight. Made it to the end with 4 gels, first time I hadn't bonked in four marathons.

My learning, don't rely on carbs in you training and you body will have switched on the fat burning. Then carb load properly and the extra help you get from the fat system will mean you can make it to the end.

We'll see for the next one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Some very interesting info here, thanks for posting! This looks like it may be relevant. Anyone going or thinking about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

inigo wrote: »
    Some very interesting info here, thanks for posting! This looks like it may be relevant. Anyone going or thinking about it?

I'd strongly recommend going to one of Barry's events.

Advertisement