Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus Fares

Options
  • 29-10-2014 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Bus fares (and DART and Irish Rail) should not be increasing, they should be used to encourage people to use public transport not discourage them. CIE should be more efficient and more commercially minded in some cases to make best with what revenue and subsidy they get, and actually get more passengers by being more dependable and client friendly - which they seem to have no plan or inclination to do so since their solution is always ah sure we will put in for a price hike!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,133 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They run a decent service imo, and the price is quite fair compared to alternative travel costs. €1230 gets you unlimited citywide travel for a year. Very cost effective compared to running a car. Most importantly, the service is constantly improving in every which way - it's a far superior service now in terms of reliability and accessibility than it was 12 years ago.

Ultimately, cash fares should be abolished. People should simply not be provided the option to pay via cash when boarding the bus. Pre paid tickets distributed via Leap should be the only option. And don't worry, we're heading that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bus Eireann average wage: €50,623
    Irish Rail average wage: €53,108
    Dublin Bus average wage: €52,656

Aircoach : €37.713
    Lothian Scotland: €42,765
    First Manchester: €30,470

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The average wage tells us nothing in reference to what most people are getting paid..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Get a leep card there the greatest thing since slice bread.

Seriously what are people doing on Dublin bus using change in this day and age, Why would anyone spend more money by using cash!!.

Its a fiver deposit to get a leep card and if you decide you don't want the card you get the fiver back.

It is something like a 15% cheaper to use a leep card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

mariaalice wrote: »
    Get a leep card there the greatest thing since slice bread.

Seriously what are people doing on Dublin bus using change in this day and age, Why would anyone spend more money by using cash!!.

Its a fiver deposit to get a leep card and if you decide you don't want the card you get the fiver back.

It is something like a 15% cheaper to use a leep card.

SHILL!!!!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,133 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I have no interest in what workers in Manchester or Northern England in general earn. We are a different country with different price points and different expectations.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ultimately, cash fares should be abolished. People should simply not be provided the option to pay via cash when boarding the bus. Pre paid tickets distributed via Leap should be the only option. And don't worry, we're heading that way.
    It's either contactless or Oyster here - and tbh it works great, nobody fiddling around for change.

SHILL!!!!

its the people fumbling with change that gets to me plus the sheer stupidity of using money when its cheaper to user a leep card.

Also there should be Luse's everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It's either contactless or Oyster here - and tbh it works great, nobody fiddling around for change.

It would work well here too, if the bloody leap card readers worked.

Four times in as many months, I've been told to get off the bus because the reader won't work and I haven't had change on me. I use a leap card so that I don't have to carry change!

It would work well here too, if the bloody leap card readers worked.

Four times in as many months, I've been told to get off the bus because the reader won't work and I haven't had change on me. I use a leap card so that I don't have to carry change!

That happened to me recently, except I was allowed to stay on the bus, I think if you use it twice in quick secession ( I got two different bus's one after the other and both were short journey ) its get brain freeze or something and cant figure out what happening and wont read your card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

That happened to me recently, except I was allowed to stay on the bus, I think if you use it twice in quick secession ( I got two different bus's one after the other and both were short journey ) its get brain freeze or something and cant figure out what happening and wont read your card.

I've never gotten buses in quick succession, the card reader was just fcuked :pac: a few times, they've waved me on, but it's a pain in the hole being late for work because their bloody technology won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Dublin Coach lads, the way forward ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Bus Fares are ridiculous - they should be easy i.e. 1 euro, 1.50 and 2 euro etc, so you dont have to fumble for 5 and 10 cents
    LEAP cards should be able to be topped up online, or via phone - heck you should be able to use your phone to pay for the bus
    or bank card contact less payments
    integrated ticketing is almost there with leap but needs to be universal on BE, IE, Arrow, DART, LUAS, and BUS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

SHILL!!!!

Couldn't be, she can't even spell LEAP correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

People that don't have Leap cards are mad.

My fare has actually gone from €2:15 to €2:05, 75c less than the cash fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why don't we go back to horse drawn carts, wear top hats and start saying "Jolly good old chap", again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Birneybau wrote: »

I didn't realize money was expressed as digital time, nor did I realize there's that much difference between 2:15 and 2:05. Learn something new everyday on boards though. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Best value for me has to be the dublin bus 10 journey ticket - it costs 27.50 (used to be 22.50 but went up massively a couple of years ago) so that works out as 2.75 per journey, and you can take as many buses as you like for 90 minutes after each journey starts - so say you start out in shankill - get the bus to the city centre, then switch to a bus to Blanchardstown; the whole journey will cost you 2.75 in total.

Leap is crap by comparison.

Of course, they are working on phasing out the paper tickets, you know for customer convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

B0jangles wrote: »
    Best value for me has to be the dublin bus 10 journey ticket - it costs 27.50 (used to be 22.50 but went up massively a couple of years ago) so that works out as 2.75 per journey, and you can take as many buses as you like for 90 minutes after each journey starts - so say you start out in shankill - get the bus to the city centre, then switch to a bus to Blanchardstown; the whole journey will cost you 2.75 in total.

Leap is crap by comparison.

Of course, they are working on phasing out the paper tickets, you know for customer convenience.

increasing to €29.50, and being phased out early next year.

they're replacing it with a paltry €1 discount on subsequent journeys within 90 minutes on a leap card, and spinning it as an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I don't often use the bus so I just pay cash when I do.

I picked up a leap card years back but found it ridiculous that I could put credit on it online but had to go to a partner shop to activate it?!!? WTF is that about. I top up my card, leave my house to get a bus and have to walk around 30 mins out of my way so that I can activate my top up and then go get the bus.
    Load of boll*x.....

I can only assume their system has since changed cause that's ridic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I didn't realize money was expressed as digital time, nor did I realize there's that much difference between 2:15 and 2:05. Learn something new everyday on boards though. :rolleyes:

For Dublin bus, the new cash fare is €2.80, the new Leap fare is €2.05

That's a difference of 75 cents. Unless I've misinterpreted the point you're trying to make..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

petronius wrote: »
    LEAP cards should be able to be topped up online
    You can topup online or you can set up auto top-up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Irish Halo wrote: »
    You can topup online or you can set up auto top-up

Don't you have to go to shop to activate it though? Making the online purchase completely irrelevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Birneybau wrote: »

for me Leaps card are not worth it as they don't have a return journey fare discount. for 5 weekly return journeys through 2 zones the saving is feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If there was a flat fare rather than zonal or stages it might make things even easier. I'm not from Dublin, and when I swipe my leap card, if the driver doesn't know which stop for to get off at, or the fare for where I'm going to, how am I expected to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah can also nominate a luas or train station machine to activate the top-up I believe.

That's another pointless exercise,why have one nominated stop,what happens if you decide to stay in a friends house and need to activate it the next morning?,you'd have to pay to travel to pick up your credit which is ridiculous.Or travel to a shop where you could've just bought the top up anyway.

How the hell are these system designers employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They run a decent service imo, and the price is quite fair compared to alternative travel costs. €1230 gets you unlimited citywide travel for a year.
    And you can halve this by using www.taxsaver.ie
    Ultimately, cash fares should be abolished. People should simply not be provided the option to pay via cash when boarding the bus.
    This may be too harsh, but certainly the vast majority should not me paying cash.
    I don't think that was the problem. What you experienced was a block to prevent people engaging in 'pass back' fraud - this is to stop people giving their ticket to a friend so they can get through a ticket gate.
    FionnK86 wrote: »
    Dublin Coach lads, the way forward ;)
    Limited number of routes.
    petronius wrote: »
    LEAP cards should be able to be topped up online, or via phone - heck you should be able to use your phone to pay for the bus
    Take a look at auto top-up on www.leapcard.ie

Top-up via phone is being implemented - the limiting factor is the phones, not the card.

[QUOTEor bank card contact less payments[/QUOTEThis is being considered.
    integrated ticketing is almost there with leap but needs to be universal on BE, IE, Arrow, DART, LUAS, and BUS
    All those modes have Leap. It is only Bus Eireann local services and most long distance buses that don't have it.
    Don't you have to go to shop to activate it though? Making the online purchase completely irrelevant?
    Only once to activate the change. After that, you never have to go neara Leap Card agent or rail station again.
    for me Leaps card are not worth it as they don't have a return journey fare discount. for 5 weekly return journeys through 2 zones the saving is feck all.
    Two Leap Card trips should be no more expensive than a return ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah can also nominate a luas or train station machine to activate the top-up I believe.

FFS. welcome to 2001.

Seriously. How can they not get the technology right to allow you to topup "fully" online. How long have mobile phone companies in Ireland supported such a process for prepay phones.

It is very disheartening that an integrated ticketing strategy at a national level cannot do basic things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Victor wrote: »
    Only once to activate the change. After that, you never have to go neara Leap Card agent or rail station again.

Is this only once to activate the LEAP card itself (e.g. first use). or is this once every time you topup the card balance?

If it is the latter, then the system remains to be a complete joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Uriel. wrote: »
    Is this only once to activate the LEAP card itself (e.g. first use).
    Yes, you activate the auto top-up function once, not every time you want to top-up.

Advertisement