Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you call your grandparents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

My maternal grandparents were Granny and Granda Bob, my paternal grandfather was Nanda pop.

When my eldest daughter was born she was the first grandchild for both families. My mum wasn't bothered what she was called but my mother in law didn't want to be Granny. When the little one started talking both grandmothers got Nanny which was confusing. Grandfathers got Ganda, she missed the r. Now we have moved on to both grandmothers being Granny, but followed by their first names, and grandfathers are Granda followed by their first names.

Was a nightmare finding birthday and Xmas cards with Nanny last year, they just don't do them. Had all variations of nan or Nana, but not Nanny, should be no bother getting Granny cards this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

gam-gam and gap-gap

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I've never really known any of my grandparents other than my grandmother on my mother's side. When I was younger I'd call her nanny, usually I'd just call her by her first name now, not out of disrespect as some people might see it, but simply because that's just what all her grandkids, bar the young ones, call her.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What did you call your grandparents?

No mystery, just Granny and Grandad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

We could never work out why our granny was called "granny inleash"!

(She lived in abbeyleix! Innocent or wha?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Our 3 year old calls them Nana and Granda on my wife's side and on my side Nana Connie and Tom. Both great grannies are called Grangy, I'm sure that'll change to Granny as she gets a little older.

As kids we just said Granny and Granda.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭SweetSand

Nanny and Grandad for Irish ones and Babulia and Deda for Bielorussian ones :)
    And when 3.5 y.o. is just having fun, she calls Irish grandparents by their first names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Nanny and Grandad :)

Nanny's making the tea as I type. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Nanny & Grandad

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

granana and papafather, as a combination of all 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Nanny and grandad here too, sometimes grandy for grandad.
    Ah happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

My fathers parents live on the same street as us, and my mothers parents live on the street behind us.
    so it was.....
    nanny and granddad-up-the-road.
    nanny and granddad-Michael street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

A new edition came into the family recently and the baby is the first grandchild for my mother.

My mother does not want to be called granny or the Irish - mamó.

My mother is in need of a name for herself for the grandchild aside from granny or mamó.

Any ideas? What did you call your grandparents?

Whats she going to do if they call her Granny?Sue them?Never speak to them again?She sounds like she reallly needs to get over herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Granny and Granda

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Oma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Granny and Granda for my grandparents
    Same for my parents now
    And himselfs parents are Granny Mc and Granda Mc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

My dad's parents died before I was born, and my mother's parents had an odd sort of set up, where my grandad was sort of marginalized and never really mixed with us. So I had my Nanny, and we just called my grandad by his first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My grandad was GaGa to my younger cousins before Lady GaGa was Lady GaGa.

I do think the Arrested Development terms of Pop Pop and Gangy would be hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Maternal grandmother: Nana
    Maternal grandfather: Foxy (spelled "F-X-Y" :p )

Paternal grandmother: Granny
    Paternal grandfather: Grandad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nana and Grandad for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Grumpy 'ol cant & Auld doll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Dick and Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

My mothers parents went by their Christian names! I was the first grandchild on that side and they felt too young to be called granny & grandad! My dads mother goes by Granny but her husband went by his Christian name! My boyfriend thinks it's kind of odd but I like it :) sadly both my grandads have passed away now

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Granny and Granda. Sometimes followed by their surnames to differentiate what side of the family we were talking about.

My kids call my parents Granny and Granda (sometimes followed by their Christian names). They call my wife's parents Ah-ma and Ah-gong (my wife's Taiwanese), so it's easy to know what side of the family they're referring to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

What about an abbreviation? In our family we have GM (short for granny and pet name) and one GG (short for great granny ..she signed cards Gigi lol!).

We also have Oma and Nana. I can't decide what name I want to be when I'm a Granny, a while away yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I called my dad's parents Granny & Poppa, my mother's Grandma & Grandda

My kids called my parents Grandma & Pappa, they call my wife's Nanna & Grandad.

I like the Welsh versions - Nain & Taid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

brown bread

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

Growing up in the 1950s, I always called mine Granny & Grandad.

My own children called us by our Christian names, we were never used to Mam or Dad etc.
    The Grandchildren call me by my Christian name, but himself likes to be Grandad. It has worked very well. Their other Grandparents are a different nationality,so its Dado and Omi.

I like the use of my own name,it feels like having my own kids around again! But I think it is up to the parents to choose,I wouldnt dream of imposing my own choice. Whatever works best and easily for everyone.

New arrival due soon ,with another set of foreign grandparent,with different names again,and I will go with whatever babies parents want to call us. Given a choice,though, I suppose I really like just being me,my own name,rather than Gran and all the other variants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Dad's side Grandma and Granddad.

Mum's side Nana and Granddad.

My mum's parents split up when she was fifteen. For some reason her dad was always granddad, just like my dad's dad. But I used to think Nana was called Nana because she was divorced. So whenever other kids had a "Nana" I thought that meant she was divorced too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Granny and Dada.

Advertisement