Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you call your grandparents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Never got to see any of my grandfathers, but saw my grandmothers, Were lovely and kind women. One of them was a frail woman who had bad eyesight and whenever I visited her house she would give me fruit pastiles.

Not trying to be a bastard but i burst out laughing after reading this the way you typed it ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Nanny and Grandad.

My niece called my parents Ganny and Bwanbwan until she learned to say the words properly :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Adrian J Lynch

Nana and grandad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My kids only have grandmas, the Irish one is Granny. Back in France we call grandmothers Mamie (pronounced mammy, could be confusing here) and grandfathers Papi (papee).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I didn't :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

My dad's side - Granny K and Granny K's Dead Husband.

My mum's side - Mammy's Dead Mammy and Mammy's Dead Daddy.

My mum wants my son to call her Nannie Rose, which I think is cute. (Only because her name is Rose, though. Otherwise it would be a bit odd rather than cute.) She thinks Nannie sounds younger than Granny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nidgeweaseal

A new edition came into the family recently and the baby is the first grandchild for my mother.

My mother does not want to be called granny or the Irish - mamó.

My mother is in need of a name for herself for the grandchild aside from granny or mamó.

Any ideas? What did you call your grandparents?

I called mine **** and fat head, they called me ungrateful **** it was a great relationship

My mum wants my son to call her Nannie Rose, which I think is cute. (Only because her name is Rose, though. Otherwise it would be a bit odd rather than cute.) She thinks Nannie sounds younger than Granny.

I always felt Nannies were even more ancient than Grannies. Parents are old by default, Grandparents are decrepit by default, but for some reason Nannies are that bit more decrepit still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Not trying to be a bastard but i burst out laughing after reading this the way you typed it ! :p

Yeah my typing can be hectic at times. Well at least I provided you with some entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Granny and Grandda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Yeah my typing can be hectic at times. Well at least I provided you with some entertainment

Nah i meant it was just a funny story i didnt mean anything do with way you wrote it just way you worded it :) Not slagging ya sure the state of how i type things i get reminded about it enough on here sure :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

I referred to them by their location, Nana Mayo and Nana Laytown.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,347 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I had one grandmother that was happy with being called Granny.

I had another grandmother who insisted on being called mamah!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Nana and grandad for me with great grandmothers being called granny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

Uncle John and Aunt sarah. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Nana and Granda, on both sides

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Taajsgpm

A new edition came into the family recently and the baby is the first grandchild for my mother.

My mother does not want to be called granny or the Irish - mamó.

My mother is in need of a name for herself for the grandchild aside from granny or mamó.

Any ideas? What did you call your grandparents?

Nana and Papa on one side Nana and Duke on dads side

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Dad's Mum was "Grandma" and Mum's Mum was Nanny (but she preferred Nan).

Both my Grandfathers died well before I was born.

Surprised no-one else on this thread seems to have used "Grandma"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I know of a child who christened his Grandad 'Nanaman' he calls them nana and nana-man. I think it's funny.

I've heard if a couple of Nanas who requested the grandkids called them 'Mamie' as it not sound as ageing as Granny or Nana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MissKittenfire

Nana. Grandad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Nana & Grandad Surname, on both sides. Grandad fathers surname was a c**t. Sad to say that my own father has turned out the very same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

avo + a nickname/'pet'name (Portuguese) .... or nan, when referring to my other grandmother, otherwise just the first name

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭digital ninja

dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Aideenr1

Mom and Pop for my paternal grandparents and Nanny and Granda for my maternal grandparents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Granny and Grandad. They are all English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

We had Gran and Daideó, on one side [Gaeilgeoir family]

Paternal was just Granny (she was widowed)

My own kids always addressed all their grandparents by Christian name after early childhood.

And now that I HAVE a grandson, he calls me Granny Kate!
    I don't fancy the Granny image very much, think he will grow into using plain Kate after another few years.

On the other hand, Granny Weatherwax in the Discworld books is very cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

granny inis oirr and daideo

granny balinrobe and paddy balinrobe

rip

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nanna or Granny is used interchangeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

My childrens' Irish ones are Nana and Granda. I used to have a Nana and a Granda too...one on my Mam's side and the other on my Dad's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I'm reading these comments out to my mother and she is having a great laugh at much of the responses.

Glad to hear it. Tell her my Mum had notions too. When I was a kid, she didn't like being called Mammy/Mam/Mum - she's English and thought Mummy was better. What she didn't realise is that calling yer Ma "Mummy" in an Irish primary school was social suicide. So I called her by her first name from age 10, since she wouldn't give in on the issue.

Now she has grandkids and wanted them to call her "Grandma", but that never hit it off in our family home. She ended up being called Granny (like you do - all my kid's friends call their grandparents Granny and Grandad too) at home and it stuck, so she has no choice now. My advice to your Mum is for her to relax about it or she'll end up being called by her first name by her grandkids. Which is fine, but different, and not as comforting/homely as the special "granny" position in your kid's life that she deserves :cool:

Advertisement