Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films that you have heard are good but havent seen yet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Lawrence of Arabia - It's just too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Kill Bill....both of em, any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the ones in bold. Of the others the only ones I'd recommend would be the first 3 Indiana Jones, The Great Escape, and Shaun Of The Dead

Das boot is excellent. Best submarine film ever, puts crimson tide to shame. Be warned it's not balls to the wall action, just incredible suspense.

A lot of people talking about the wolf of wall street, it's fine, but by no means essential watching. Just watch Goodfellas. Better in all aspects.

Inglorious basterds was very good, but too long. It's hard to motivate myself for a rewatch, enjoyed django more. Though pulp fiction would be a better tarrentio movie for all concerned.

I've been trying to hone up in classics myself recently, I highly encourage everyone to watch 12 angry men if you haven't seen it. It's one of the greatest movies ever. Watched one flew over the cuckoos nest, didn't think it was too great. I also watched escape from Alcatraz last night, won't be watching it again.

kryogen wrote: »
    Kill Bill....both of em, any good?

Very good, both of em. First is better.

Frynge wrote: »
    Have read the book and it was brilliant, started it in Dublin airport and finished it in a car from San Francisco to San Jose.

It's actually one of the rare situations where the film is better than the book IMO.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    Star wars (any of them)
    Indiana jones (any of them)
    Ghostbusters
    The godfather
    Rocky
    Citizen Kane (I have the blu ray on my shelf mind)
    schildners list
    Das Boot
    A bridge too far
    The great escape
    Shaun of the dead

You don't need to watch them in the order you listed, but definitely put Shaun of the dead lowest on priorities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've been trying to hone up in classics myself recently, I highly encourage everyone to watch 12 angry men if you haven't seen it. It's one of the greatest movies ever. Watched one flew over the cuckoos nest, didn't think it was too great. I also watched escape from Alcatraz last night, won't be watching it again.

Totally agree with you about 12 Angry Men, great film. If you have half an hour Hancock's Half Hour did an very good parody of it. I thought Cuckoos Nest was excellent but I probably wouldn't watch it again, it's so sad and Nurse Ratchet is such an utter bitch!! I can't remember hating a film character as much.

Just finished watching Kind Hearts & Coronets. Bit disappointed but there's definitely humour in there which I would have thought would be ahead of its time. The Odd Couple, The Apartment, and M*A*S*H are some classics I'd recommend.

The Bridge On The River Kwaii is one I've been meaning to watch for years. I'm sure it'll be on telly at some stage over Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Lawrence of Arabia - It's just too long
    There's an intermission so it's easy to watch in 2 sittings. Such a great film, nobody makes epics like it anymore.

Very good, both of em. First is better.
    I actually prefer the second. The first is just a really entertaining bloodbath but the second really makes you care about the bride and root for her too. After Jackie Brown it has the best character development of any of tarantino's movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What about Gravity? I have it a while now but never too pushed to watch it when flicking through the selection

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    What about Gravity? I have it a while now but never too pushed to watch it when flicking through the selection

Worth a gander alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

e_e wrote: »
    There's an intermission so it's easy to watch in 2 sittings. Such a great film, nobody makes epics like it anymore.

It could be half the time if they cut some of the admittedly lovely, yet boring shots of the desert that add very little to the narrative. It also suffers from that thankfully long dead tradition of Hollywood casting white men as Arabs and coating them in fake tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

theteal wrote: »

Terrible film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

toadfly wrote: »
    Terrible film.

It's ok if you watch it with the sound down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Casablanca.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Heisenberg88

2girls1cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

2girls1cup

Nah, it's shít

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

cloud493 wrote: »
    Star wars (any of them)
    Indiana jones (any of them)
    Ghostbusters
    The godfather
    Rocky
    Citizen Kane (I have the blu ray on my shelf mind)
    schildners list
    Das Boot
    A bridge too far
    The great escape
    Shaun of the dead

Schildners List is very good. Also, Riders of the Last Ork, A Postage to Undia and Jows 4: The Return of Khan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

e_e wrote: »

This a millon times, staggering piece of cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Terrible film.

Overhyped maybe but terrible? Nope, it's beautifully made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bambi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

For those with Das Boot on your list.
    Absolutely brilliant movie!
    If you get the opportunity to watch it, try to get the Directors Cut and watch in German with English subtitles.
    Then watch the making off D.B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Terrible film.

Well don't go out of your way to explain why!

Sure, its overhyped, but its beautifully directed, with jawdropping effects and a fantastic score.

I'm envious of people who have yet to see some foreign language classics like Persona, 8½, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thieves, Princess Mononoke and The Passion of Joan of Arc.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It could be half the time if they cut some of the admittedly lovely, yet boring shots of the desert that add very little to the narrative.
    Lovely? Yes. Boring? Nah. Not everything has to be about plot in movies anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I haven't watched kill bill 1 or 2 . Have watched and liked all the other QT films, but for some reason they don't appeal to me. That said i have a shrink wrapped double blu ray set ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I hadn't watched Jumanji until yesterday afternoon.

Watched it with the kids, they loved it and so did I.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I hadn't watched Jumanji until yesterday afternoon.

Watched it with the kids, they loved it and so did I.

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Haven't seen Wolf of Wallstreet yet as well. Same with The Godfather, Shaun of the Dead, Rocky and many more. Some day I will :)

• Advertisement

There are many better films out there than Shaun of the Dead!

Advertisement