Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

It sucks that probably one of and possibly all of KD, Russell Westbrook and Anthony Davis could miss the playoffs. That's like 3 of the top 5 players in the league. NBA needs to change up the playoff system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Bulls 107 - Pelicans 72.

The Bulls caught a break here when Anthony Davis went off injured in the first half. It happened on an alley-oop pass from Tyreke Evans, Davis dunked it, tried to hang on to the rim, but his hand slipped off, and he fell on his shoulder. X-rays were negative apparently, but he has a shoulder contusion (whatever that is).

The Bulls were playing well anyway, but things certainly got a lot easier once Davis went off.

Big game for my man Tony Snell, 7-10, 5-6 from downtown. One good thing about Dunleavy's absence is Snell has gone some burn, and is having a nice second season off the bench. Snell had a difficult rookie season, and your second season is probably make-or-break, I think he's doing enough to carve out a place in the league.

McDermott, back from injury, also got some minutes at the end and looked good.

This could be Monty Williams last season with the Pelicans, man did they look bad once Anthony Davis went out.

Really liked the Pelicans play-by-play announcer, Joel Meyers is his name. Great commentators voice, old-school raspy, smart and humorous as well. Most of the local commentators I find pretty bad, so the good ones stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Supposedly the Kings and George Karl in advanced talks. Pete D'allesandro and Kings management want something in place by all star weekend pushing up their schedule for hiring a new coach. Karl seemingly is a huge fan of cousins but judging by his tweets (such as 2 days ago tweeting he wouldn't mind coaching the Magic when they sacked their coach) he's desparate enough for any job.

Either way Kings fans are ****ing sick of this disastrous season after such a promising start and the sacking of Malone which probably makes sense on one level (his rotations were baffling at times) and the alarming blown leads (multiple games where 20+ point leads blown) but the fact was the defence was shockingly different to last season and he had massive locker room support.

Either way I have the feeling a once in a generation talent like Cousins is being wasted

Woj is saying the deal has stalled as Cousin's camp is against Karl taking over the Kings

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RIP Dean Smith.

B9VNdVsIAAAqivM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty good early game on here. Okc v the clippers minus Blake who needs surgery.
    Okc really need to start putting a winning run together to get that 8th spot.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    RIP Dean Smith.

I'm reading Roland Lazenby's Michael Jordan - The Life at the moment (it's very good), and I can see that Jordan owed a good deal his success to playing under Dean Smith. He was probably always going to be a talent, but in terms of having a well-rounded game that included defense and passing ability, as well as scoring.

A bit I liked from the 1982 NCAA final against Georgetown.....Jordan was a freshman on the team, and at the time deferred to the more senior players James Worthy and Sam Perkins. North Carolina had led from about 5 minutes out, but after two baskets from Georgetown, found themselves down 1, with 30 seconds to go. And the way the game played out, you expected Worthy or Perkins to take the shot.

From the book...
    With thirty-two seconds left, Smith called a time-out to set up a play to counter Georgetown’s anticipated move back to a zone. “Usually, I don’t like to take a time-out there,” Smith said. “We should know what to do. But I expected Georgetown to come back to the zone and jam it in. I said, ‘Doherty, take a look for James [Worthy] or Sam [Perkins], and, Jimmy, the cross-court pass will be there to Michael.’ As it turned out, Michael’s whole side of the court was wide open because they were chasing James. If Michael had missed, Sam would’ve been the hero because he’d have had the rebound.”

Smith was at his best in that huddle, so calming that assistant Roy Williams recalled glancing at the scoreboard, thinking surely he must have misread it. The way Smith was talking, Carolina must have the lead, Williams remembered thinking. As the team broke from the huddle, Smith gave Jordan a pat and said, “Knock it in, Michael.”

As Dean Smith called it, the cross-court pass was there to Jordan. The remarkable thing to me watching it back, is how Jordan takes the shot with no hesitation, perfectly in rhythm. This isn't the Jordan we know today, it's the freshman 3rd option on the team, with a shot for the national championship. I'd seen the shot several times, but watching the full game, when the ball came to him I expected him to hesitate, just for a second, but he doesn't. Surely Dean Smith's comments to MJ as they left the huddle contributed to that.

Smith had previously lost 3 NCAA Championship finals, and been to the Final Four 6 times without winning, and was jeered by opposing fans as a choker. So I guess he owed something to MJ as well for hitting that shot as well.

You can watch the whole game here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIY7vAjCCDQ

I watched it recently when I came to that part of the book. A bit different to a modern NBA game, no shot-clock or 3-point line. If you want to some check it out, I'd recommend joining at half time. It's tied at half-time and the second half is better. A number of future NBA stars on the court...MJ, James Worthy, Sam Perkins, a freshman Patrick Ewing and Eric 'Sleepy' Floyd.

Would recommend Lazenby's book as well. Another bit that speaks to Smith's character....
    The odds on another title [the following season] might have been better had Dean Smith been a bit more selfish and persuaded James Worthy to stay at North Carolina for his senior year.

However, the coach continued to prize the success of his players above his own, even perhaps above the team’s. Another coach would have pointed out to Worthy that the Tar Heels were on the brink of winning back-to-back national championships. With Worthy, the school would be returning a team with four starters, a team that could make real history. Yet instead of exerting any sort of pressure to keep Worthy in school, Smith began researching Worthy’s prospects for the upcoming NBA draft.

When he learned that Worthy was likely to be the top pick, he dutifully advised him to claim “hardship” status and enter the draft. The risk of injury and the loss of huge sums were too great for Worthy to continue to play amateur basketball. It was a remarkable display of integrity from Smith, another reason his players held him in such esteem. Five seasons earlier he had done the same for point guard Phil Ford, had all but insisted that he turn professional after his junior season, Art Chansky recalled. Ford, however, declined to leave, explaining to Smith, “Who’s going to tell my mother?” He came back to Carolina and was player of the year that final season.

Worthy’s family also prized education, but Smith emphasized that the prudent step was to enter the draft. Worthy was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers as the top overall pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

D2D wrote: »
    Woj is saying the deal has stalled as Cousin's camp is against Karl taking over the Kings

That appears to be untrue and it's more to do with money, as in Karls asking price. Looks like it's up to the ownership today as to whether they'll pay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭nerd69

http://deadspin.com/dominique-wilkins-tells-a-solid-larry-bird-trash-talk-s-1684758554?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

well worth a read its dominique telling a story about larry bird trash talking him very funny
    "One of the first times I ever played against him, I went out for the opening tip and I went to shake his hand. He just stood there and looked at me stone-faced with his hands behind his back," Wilkins said recently.

"I was like, 'Whoa.' Then we were getting ready for the tip and he says to me, 'You don't belong in this league, Homes.' I couldn't believe it, but it happened so fast, I didn't know what to think.

"Then they had the ball and I was on him and he said, 'I don't know why they got you guarding me, Homes. You can't guard me.' Then, whap, he hit a 3. Then he came down again and said, 'They made a mistake putting you on me, Homes,' and he took another 3."

Getting into the story, Wilkins began to act things out with his facial expressions.

"So now I'm hot," he said. "I'm hot. I mean, I'm steaming.

"Then a little while later, I came down on a break and he was backpedaling. I just went right after him. I jumped up and he tried to challenge, but I took that right through the rim. He fell and hit the basket support.

"He got up and said, 'I like you, rookie. You've got(guts).' I was happy for a second, and then he said, 'But I'm still going for 40 on you tonight.' "

He then paused the story, stepped back and smiled.

"But I got him," Wilkins said. "He only scored 39."

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

hard to beat Larry Legend for the trash talking alright. Nearly everyone who played against Bird has a story about him. Kobe (KOBE!) said he was the greatest trash talker ever. That's some compliment given Kobe's record!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah Bird is a bit of a legend for the trash talk. This is my favourite.
    During one game on Christmas Day against the Indiana Pacers, before the game Bird told Chuck Person that he had a Christmas present waiting for him.

During the game, when Person was on the bench, Bird shot a three-pointer on the baseline right in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, “Merry f**king Christmas!”, and then the shot went in. This was no doubt inspired by Person (nicknamed the “Rifleman”) stating prior to the game that “The Rifleman is Coming, and He’s Going Bird Hunting.”

Taken from this list.

• Advertisement

hard to beat Larry Legend for the trash talking alright. Nearly everyone who played against Bird has a story about him. Kobe (KOBE!) said he was the greatest trash talker ever. That's some compliment given Kobe's record!

ya that whole stonewalling guys seems to be a theme as well i remember magic saying he got the same treatment when they met in college.

Yeah Bird is a bit of a legend for the trash talk. This is my favourite.

Taken from this list.

thats hilarious to i love that he seemed to back it all up and any of the guys he trash talked (or at least that iv heard talk about it) laugh it off and say he could do it because he bit as hard as he barked.

in todays nba i think guys would pull a fit at that kind of thing

Kyle Korver officially in for Dwayne Wade in the All Star Game. Means that the Hawks will have 4 on the roster.

Anyone catch Dwight Howard's ensemble last night?

20150210_pjc_aa9_303.JPG-5f834ff254dadd787ebcaa664ebee004

Dwight-Howard-Suit.jpg

Man I hate the Rockets..

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Man I hate the Rockets..

why???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Anthony Davis in out of the All Star Game, Dirk is replacing

It probably won't happen, but I'd love if they got Bill Walton doing NBA games.

Bill Walton talked about Bob Dylan on air for 3 whole minutes of a basketball game

padraig_f wrote: »
    It probably won't happen, but I'd love if they got Bill Walton doing NBA games.

Bill Walton talked about Bob Dylan on air for 3 whole minutes of a basketball game

Walton is more than a little loco. Some of the stuff he comes out with is hilarious but equally some of it is just jibberish. Someone did an MTV Cribs type thing with him years ago (and years before Cribs) and I saw it on holidays in the US at the time. I think it's fair to see he was either drunk, high or just being himself on it (lol).

Man I hate the Rockets..
    Just don't enjoy watching them play. They play no defense. Dwight Howard is probably the most boring 20-10 player in the history of the NBA. Sure, James Harden can score, but I don't want to watch a player shoot 10-15 FTs a game.

• Advertisement

Going to be a tough night for the Bulls against the Cavs I fear, no Jimmy Butler.

Going to be a tough night for the Bulls against the Cavs I fear, no Jimmy Butler.

I nearly prefer when these games are on the road, because you're not expected to win as much (although the bookies have the Cavs 2.5 pt favourites anyway).

Should be a good game. Interested in the Gasol/Mozgov matchup. As good as Gasol has been, he's struggled against some of the better defensive centres. So that will be an important indicator for a possible playoff series.

Rose vs. Irving should be good too, Rose often seems to raise his game against the better point-guards. I keep saying it, but he needs to be aggressive and not settle too much for jump-shots.

Jimmy being out makes it more difficult, but the Bulls still have a decent chance. Snell is playing well and stylewise is a decent replacement for Jimmy (though I expect Lebron will try and attack this more now).

We've got Dunleavy back, and we'd need a good contribution from the bench.

Looking forward to it anyway, both teams closer to their potential than when they played earlier in the season.

Just don't enjoy watching them play. They play no defense. Dwight Howard is probably the most boring 20-10 player in the history of the NBA. Sure, James Harden can score, but I don't want to watch a player shoot 10-15 FTs a game.

still i wouldn't say its as bad as the clippers constant moaning i feel like the clips are the team that feel most entitled for no reason and its not close

Dunno if we caught them on a bad night, but expected the Cavs to be better last night. Had heard they'd won 11 of their last 12 or something, and Lebron was much better after his break. Was expecting to see something like Lebron's Heat, but they were a good bit short of that.

Still seems to be a lack of chemistry....it looks more like 5 guys trying to do their own thing a bit, rather than acting as a cohesive unit.

For the Bulls...the Gasol/Mozgov matchup that I was looking out for never materialised too much. Gasol played a smart game, didn't really take Mozgov on in the post, but worked with Rose on pick-and-pop for jump-shots, set up teammates with 6 assists, and posted up Tristan Tompson when he was guarding him.

Rose played a great game, very aggressive all game. Been a bit frustrated with Rose's play at times, when he settles for too many jump-shots. But was hoping that he's saving it for the playoffs. Last night was a good indication that he was, and does have another gear to go to...

It was vintage Rose and he really destroyed Kyrie Irving.

Tony Snell had a great game filling in for Jimmy Butler. Shot an amazing 9-11 (4-6 from 3) while guarding Lebron the entire game. Snell has long arms, which are a great defensive asset for troubling the ball-handler, and this contributed to Lebron's 8 turnovers.

Rachel Nicholls grabbed Rose for the post-game interview, and wanted to talk about his 30 points, but all Rose wanted to talk about was what a great game Tony Snell had, which was a nice touch.

Does anyone have a schedule for the All-Star Weekend please?

Does anyone have a schedule for the All-Star Weekend please?

Saturday night, starting 1:30am Irish time...

1. Shooting Stars
    2. Skills Challenge
    3. Three-Point Contest
    4. Slam Dunk contest

Guess I'll be watching that Sunday morning, looking forward to the three-point contest.

Sunday night, starting 1:30am

NBA All-star game.

I haven't watched this the last few years, exhibition games don't do it for me much.

Thanks Padraig. No interest in the game itself either to be honest but I do enjoy the various contests on the Saturday.

Thought that you had to buy an extra package to watch the saturday night events on league pass, just saw the tab at the top of the page to watch it. Happy days!

wow lavine had the best dunk contest performance i can remember in recent history his first dunk in particular was insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Fell asleep somewhere between 1 and 1:30 with the laptop on my chest and missed what looks to be a quality night.

2 splash bros in the final round was perfect

Advertisement