Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season 14/15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

OKC are currently leading the Magic 79-45 at the half......

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

103 after 3quarters. Not bad I suppose…...;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

in the guidelines for referees as to what is a flop isn't there a qualifier that it's not a flop if it's an exaggerated motion to bring the referees attention to a foul that they may have missed otherwise. Based on what Padraig said about the rule. It would be a 'legal flop' by nba guidelines

Spent a few mins last night/this morning trying to find out the stats on teams scoring 100 or more in 3 quarters but couldn't find anything :(

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

ec18 wrote: »
    in the guidelines for referees as to what is a flop isn't there a qualifier that it's not a flop if it's an exaggerated motion to bring the referees attention to a foul that they may have missed otherwise. Based on what Padraig said about the rule. It would be a 'legal flop' by nba guidelines

Just looking there, I see this:
    "Flopping" will be defined as any physical act that appears to have been intended to cause the referees to call a foul on another player. The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact.

Physical acts that constitute legitimate basketball plays (such as moving to a spot in order to draw an offensive foul) and minor physical reactions to contact will not be treated as flops.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/10/03/anti-flopping-rule/

So if you think Drummond overly exaggerated the reaction ("inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact"), I guess it is a flop, even if Hibbert initiated contact.

And while searching, I also saw this:

Detroit's Drummond receives flop warning

Determined to be a flop, just didn't get a fine because it was a first offence.

• Advertisement

On another note, anyone see Steph Curry's steal and then no look behind the back flick pass (without gathering the ball) to Harrison Barnes last night? Insane skill level.

Found it:

Spent a few mins last night/this morning trying to find out the stats on teams scoring 100 or more in 3 quarters but couldn't find anything :(

Anyone any ideas?

I was playing around with SDQL (Sports Database Query Language) a while back, bit of a learning curve, but useful for this kind of stuff.

You can get it (database seems to go back to 1995):

http://sportsdatabase.com/nba/query?output=default&sdql=date%2C+team%2Co%3Ateam%2CS3%2Co%3AS3%2Cpoints%2Co%3Apoints%40S3%3E100&submit=++S+D+Q+L+!++

where S3 is points after 3 quarters, (o: prefix is for opponent).

Looks like there was quite a few. Can sort by columns, no. 1 being

2008-03-16 Nuggets Supersonics 127 85 168 116

127 after 3 quarters, and then put up another 41 in the 4th! Was Durant on that Sonics team?

padraig_f wrote: »
    I was playing around with SDQL (Sports Database Query Language) a while back, bit of a learning curve, but useful for this kind of stuff.

You can get it (database seems to go back to 1995):

http://sportsdatabase.com/nba/query?output=default&sdql=date%2C+team%2Co%3Ateam%2CS3%2Co%3AS3%2Cpoints%2Co%3Apoints%40S3%3E100&submit=++S+D+Q+L+!++

where S3 is points after 3 quarters, (o: prefix is for opponent).

Looks like there was quite a few. Can sort by columns, no. 1 being

2008-03-16 Nuggets Supersonics 127 85 168 116

127 after 3 quarters, and then put up another 41 in the 4th! Was Durant on that Sonics team?

Ta Padraig, the nerd in me is excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Here's the box score, Melo and Iverson.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=280316007

Nope, only drafted in 2007.

Durant was on the Sonics team then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Durant was on the Sonics team then.

Yeargh, brainfart. See that, scored 23.

Nope, only drafted in 2007.

Melo, Iverson AND JR Smith, wow.

Got a laugh out of JR Smith last night, saying he didn't have to fit in to the Cavs and just had to be himself. Also the fact that he was expecting to do better in Cleveland because there was less to do at night.

Bulls playing pretty crap lately, have now lost to the Wizards, Hawks and Cavs in the last few weeks, 3 of their main rivals in the East.

Mozgov looks a good addition to the Cavs, had 15 reboiunds I think last night, defended Pau well, and scored a few points as well.

Kevin Love still looks like a role player. I knew him more by reputation this season, as I hadn't watched the Wolves much. But from what I've seen of him on the Cavs, he looks like a hugely overrated player, considering the hype about his free-agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bulls playing pretty crap lately, have now lost to the Wizards, Hawks and Cavs in the last few weeks, 3 of their main rivals in the East.

I'm officially worried.

The offense has been steadily declining (I saw these statistics on Twitter) - October: 47.8%, November: 45.4%, December: 44.8%, January: 42.5% which was my main worry due to the poor defensive displays relative to other seasons under Thibs, could we keep those offensive numbers up, and the players are voicing concern now too about effort, with Rose calling it "****ing irritating". It's not like him to speak like that, so it's obviously very frustrating and boiling over.

Strange situation earlier too. Last night the players were told after the game that they had practice today, however, pre-game they thought they had today off and would meet back on Wednesday. Practice was slated to go ahead, but with about 5 minutes to go it was cancelled. So it appears either Thibs relented of his own accord, or the players' voices didn't give him a choice.

Chris Sheridan, who many may remember broke the LeBron to Cleveland story during the summer, reports that Thibs "may" have lost the locker room:

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/01/20/sheridan-thibodeau-on-hot-seat-as-bulls-crumbling-internally/
    I told you yesterday about mutterings I have heard around the league that Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau has lost his locker room. The last night, Derrick Rose poured jet fuel on the fire with some of the strongest comments he has made as a professional, including “we are not on the same page.” Rose rarely if ever uses expletives, but he used them Monday night after the Bulls got crushed by the Cavs 108-94.

A source close to the Bulls tells SheridanHoops that eating the remaining money (roughly $11 million) and years (two after this season) on Thibodeau’s contract will not be a concern to management or ownership if they decide to fire him.

The feeling among some players in the locker room is that Thibodeau is simply too hardcore, too much of an oddball personality, and runs his best players into the ground both in practices and games.

hibodeau has had the support of ownership, grudgingly at times, because he led the Bulls to the playoffs each of the past two seasons despite the absence of Derrick Rose both years. There is no questioning his basketball acumen or dedication to his craft. But a head coach cannot impose his own gym rat mentality on a roster of players loaded with easygoing guys. from free spirit Joakim Noah to wily veteran Pau Gasol to smarter-than-you-may-realize Derrick Rose. Even Jimmy Butler, who is playing for his max contract, has seen his production drop from 21.7 ppg in November and December to 17.0 (on .403 shooting) in January.

Here is a little historical background on Thibodeau, who has coached under one of the most hardcore guys out there, Jeff Van Gundy, and one of the smoothest and most player-friendly, Doc Rivers.

Van Gundy was an us vs. them guy, a trait he inherited from his one-time mentor, Pat Riley. “Us vs. them” was a very closed society in the Van Gundy years when he coached the Knicks, with the coach often telling the team that the only people who mattered in an organization were the 15 guys in the locker room, along with the coaching staff. Management, the media, opposing teams — they were all lumped together as “them.”

So in a case like this one, if Thibodeau has lost his locker room, he should not expect a ton of support from management. People close to the organization have told me that relations between Thibodeau and the front office have improved in the two years since assistant coach Ron Adams was let go against Thibodeau’s wishes, but I have heard enough anecdotes from people close to the team to realize that Thibodeau still views Bulls management with a jaundiced eye. And some have told me that team president John Paxson remains lukewarm at best regarding Thibs.

Just my opinion, but Thibodeau should be emulating Rivers more than he is emulating Van Gundy.

So you can be damn sure that Thibodeau’s job will be on the line as the Bulls, losers of four of their last five, begin a brutal stretch that includes games against the Spurs, Mavericks, Warriors and Suns before the end of January. The pre-All Star break schedule concludes with a home game against the Cavaliers — but it should be noted that Chicago does not exactly enjoy a home court advantage. They are 12-10 at home and 15-6 on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Thibs seems to be making the same mistake as previous years by grinding his starters into the ground. Of course the likes of Butler's production was going to drop with the heavy minutes he was playing.

Paully D wrote: »
    Chris Sheridan, who many may remember broke the LeBron to Cleveland story during the summer, reports that Thibs "may" have lost the locker room:

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/01/20/sheridan-thibodeau-on-hot-seat-as-bulls-crumbling-internally/

I saw that yesterday, and my initial reaction was:

e31.jpg

A few weeks ago they were among the favourites for the East, and now this guy's saying it wouldn't be a problem to get rid of Thibs....
    A source close to the Bulls tells SheridanHoops that eating the remaining money (roughly $11 million) and years (two after this season) on Thibodeau’s contract will not be a concern to management or ownership if they decide to fire him.

I think there's a bit of both substance and hype. There is legitimate concern there because I've never seen the effort/energy level of players this low under Thibs for a sustained period of time. They've had flat nights before like every team, but nearly always bounced back a game or two later.

But right now, they've probably only had one good performance in the last 3-4 weeks (against the Rockets).

Having said that, I see a lot of speculation in the article, like:
    But a head coach cannot impose his own gym rat mentality on a roster of players loaded with easygoing guys. from free spirit Joakim Noah to wily veteran Pau Gasol

This suggests Noah isn't a comitted or intense player, but no-one wants to win or work harder than Noah, so I think there's some loose talk there.

I'm not particularly worried, Thibs is a good guy, and there are a lot of good characters on the team. When you have that, you work things out. They'll get Dunleavy and Noah back into the starting lineup, and things will improve.

It does call into question a bit if Thibs is going to be there long-term, if his coaching style has a certain shelf-life. But I think they'll get it together for this season at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd agree with you on the Sheridan piece, Padraig. Lots of conjecture in it. This tweet has also eased my worries regarding performance a bit, though the question becomes will the Bulls ever have their first choice starting lineup over a consistent period before it becomes too late? I'd love to see a statistic on how many games each side has played their first choice lineup over the last say 3-4 seasons? The Bulls would have to rank bottom even accounting for Rose's injury.

@KCJHoop: Bulls have only had regular lineup of Rose, Butler, Dunleavy, Noah, Gasol 15 times in 43 games. They're 12-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd agree with you on the Sheridan piece, Padraig. Lots of conjecture in it. This tweet has also eased my worries regarding performance a bit, though the question becomes will the Bulls ever have their first choice starting lineup over a consistent period before it becomes too late? I'd love to see a statistic on how many games each side has played their first choice lineup over the last say 3-4 seasons? The Bulls would have to rank bottom even accounting for Rose's injury.

@KCJHoop: Bulls have only had regular lineup of Rose, Butler, Dunleavy, Noah, Gasol 15 times in 43 games. They're 12-3.

Saw the same tweet myself courtesy of taco trey.

Kyle Korver with a dunk :eek::rolleyes:;):D last night

I know he gets some grief (some justified, some not) here and elsewhere but last night Brandon Jennings became the 3rd player since 1985 to record 20+ points & 20+ assists in 35 MP or less (Magic in '85, Stockton in '89). :eek:

In fairness to him, he's playing well this year under SVG, and Detroit have really turned things around since getting rid of Josh Smith. If he can continue to cut down on the crazy shot selection and continue to improve his passing game, he could become a serious threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

all star starting teams announced

THE EAST

LeBron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Pau Gasol
    John Wall
    kyle lowry

THE WEST

Blake Griffin
    Marc Gasol
    Anthony Davis
    Stephen Curry,
    Kobe Bryant

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »

THE EAST

LeBron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Pau Gasol
    John Wall
    kyle lowry

THE WEST

Blake Griffin
    Marc Gasol
    Anthony Davis
    Stephen Curry,
    Kobe Bryant

Yay for Pau, did I read that's his first time starting?

Carmelo/Kobe...think you should almost be precluded from the all-star game if your team is X games under .500 (never gonna happen though).

The rest looks fine, pretty cool for the Gasol family, having two brothers both starters in an all-star game.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

nerd69 wrote: »

THE EAST

LeBron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Pau Gasol
    John Wall
    kyle lowry

THE WEST

Blake Griffin
    Marc Gasol
    Anthony Davis
    Stephen Curry,
    Kobe Bryant

Harden instead of Kobe IMO. Really cool that Steph topped the pool ahead of LeBron too!

Yay for Pau, did I read that's his first time starting?

Carmelo/Kobe...think you should almost be precluded from the all-star game if your team is X games under .500 (never gonna happen though).

The rest looks fine, pretty cool for the Gasol family, having two brothers both starters in an all-star game.

its in nyc so melo is "hosting" he was always going to be there.

i really hope korver makes the bench he's having an insane year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Great watching Rose in this form.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

Aldridge out for 6-8 weeks... this could be a massive blow to the blazers who are already down RoLo and freeland... pretty short on frontcourt players. the west is so competitive that they could easily go from 2nd to 6th in that time!

also, listening to BS report this week, they've had the most games against teams under.500 so they have some really tough games coming up!!!

trying to get time to watch some games now!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Ridiculous that Kobe is an all star starter and James Harden will have to come off the bench. Harden is a legit MVP candidate this year. Very good that Kyle Lowry is getting the start though!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Kobe injured his rotator cuff though so might miss out which would push The Beard into the starting 5. I guess as long as Kobe is playing he will be an All Star starter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Kobe shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line up, but God almighty nobody bores me as much as James Harden. A super player, but the Houston Rockets are as dull as any team to watch. Watching Harden shoot free throws all night and Dwight Howard and his robotic game. Ugh.

Well that was encouraging. You hear the phrase 'statement game', and sometimes it's an overused phrase. Derrick Rose came out after the Cavs game with a vocal statement about how the Bulls weren't playing hard enough. And he followed it up last night with an even stronger statement on the court.....going 100 miles-an-hour, being aggressive, driving to the teeth of the defense. His statement was: I'm 100% behind my coach, and it was a statement to the to the fans, the media, and other players on his team. If anyone questioned that the players had checked out on the coach, Rose was saying emphatically that he hadn't, and it set the tone for the rest of the team. It was great leadership, I loved it.

As for the game, I noticed the Spurs record hasn't been quite as good this season, and to be honest the team that played last night wasn't in the championship form of last year. I wasn't watching the Spurs closely enough to say exactly what was wrong (they had the main 4 guys all starting). The commentators mentioned Tony Parker hasn't been in great form lately, and he did look a bit below-par.

Didn't matter though, the Spurs are never an easy team to beat the way they're coached, and this game was all about attitude for the Bulls. When the game was close in the first half I thought 'win or lose, this is a great performance'. That they won the game was the icing on the cake.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Kobe shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line up, but God almighty nobody bores me as much as James Harden. A super player, but the Houston Rockets are as dull as any team to watch. Watching Harden shoot free throws all night and Dwight Howard and his robotic game. Ugh.

your right but at the end of the day he's a legit mvp candidate at the moment its a joke that he's not in there

Advertisement