Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Childless couples be taxed more?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Popcorn anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Why?

I have highlighted that overall those with kids are providing far more to society than those without kids on average.

Eh no. You're assuming that every single one of those kids are gonna be paying high income taxes from their mid 20s to age 68.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Yes I pay tax, what post are you referring to where I said I was on the dole?

You're not going to go with the "I pay VAT on everything" line are you?

Sauve wrote: »
    What happens to couples who want, but can't have children?

But they would still gain from the benefit of other peoples children when it came to retirement.

You're not going to go with the "I pay VAT on everything" line are you?

Eh? No I work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I like cheeseburgers.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Eh no. You're assuming that every single one of those kids are gonna be paying high income taxes from their mid 20s to age 68.

High or Low income, it matters not because they pay more tax than just direct taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Eh? No I work.

I would love to have been at your interview. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yes I pay tax, what post are you referring to where I said I was on the dole?

Your posting history is there for all to see, as is mine.

The onions have to be finely chopped on my cheeseburger. I don't like chunky onions.

• Advertisement

When people are avoiding having children then we can consider more incentives. We currently do not have that problem so why would we want people to pay more for other peoples children?

Ireland's birth rate continues to decline - ESRI

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1119/487550-perinatal-statistics-esri/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

People that don't want children are already taxed in the likes of child benefit. We all pay it, parent benefit from it.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Your posting history is there for all to see, as is mine.

Again, what post are you referring too?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OP, does every thread you start wind up being closed?

Just asking, as I'm currently taking bets with myself how long this one is going to last......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

It goes quite in AH for a day or two then someone decides to make a thread likr this and boom!

People that don't want children are already taxed in the likes of child benefit. We all pay it, parent benefit from it.

Cost of raising a child in 2002 €120,000

Child benefit over 18 years €28,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ireland's birth rate continues to decline - ESRI

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1119/487550-perinatal-statistics-esri/

Keep reading
    Ireland's birth rate is the highest in Europe versus the EU average of 10.4.

Again, what post are you referring too?

Your posts in state benefits about being unemployed for years.....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    OP, does every thread you start wind up being closed?

Just asking, as I'm currently taking bets with myself how long this one is going to last......

Not at all, only had one thread closed and that was because posters went off topic

A bit of mayonnaise and shredded lettuce on the bottom lightly toasted bun, minced steak burger, finely chopped onion, grated cheddar cheese and a squirt of Heinz ketchup.

Yum.

• Advertisement

Karl Stein wrote: »
    A bit of mayonnaise and shredded lettuce on the bottom lightly toasted bun, minced steak burger, finely chopped onion, grated cheddar cheese and a squirt of Heinz ketchup.

Yum.

I'm staying in this thread bascially as long as u keep this up! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Oh wow

The most stupid question ever.

People who choose to have kids and you're jealous of child free people who have fun. What they spend their money on is none of your business and you want them taxed to raise your your kids instead?

How exactly are they selfish for having a life without kids?

Keep reading

Still going down, thus this supports that right across Europe people cant afford to have children. So should we give out more in benefits or tax those without kids more?

Your posts in state benefits about being unemployed for years.....

Amazingly people can and do find work!

Both me and my wife are now working and pay tax !

Have worked all my life, just the crash that got in the way, if you check my recent posting history you will see Ive even recently purchased some investment property.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Still going down, thus this supports that right across Europe people cant afford to have children. So should we give out more in benefits or tax those without kids more?

Should we not be encouraging people not to do things they can't afford, rather than stinging/gouging others to subsidize them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

In ireland childcare is the main problem. We should be discouraging those on welfare from having children and encouraging those who work to keep working and to have children. Not a blanket increase in income for people who happen to have working genitals and sometimes poor decision making.

Amazingly people can and do find work!

Both me and my wife are now working and pay tax !

Have worked all my life, just the crash that got in the way.

A few years is a long time....us tax payers supporting you and your kids and you want us to pay more? :eek: GTFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

If people can't afford kids, how can they afford extra tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

What about private pensions OP? A lot of people who are career minded are most likely to have a private pension. Which means after retirement they are still funding the economy through taxes. Maybe not as much income tax as when they were working but there are other forms of taxation when they spend that private pension

Water Charges,Property Tax,Car Tax if they have one,VAT etc etc etc. I could go on,your assumption is that they dont contribute once they retire from work. Which is totally untrue,i would say a childless couple will most likely be at a net loss to the state at the end of there working life

• Advertisement

I hate you for opening this thread OP.

Look at what you started!
    I was starting to enjoy this place!! :-)

Advertisement