Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Childless couples be taxed more?

Options
  • 24-10-2014 6:40pm

Should Childless couples be taxed more be they straight, gay or from Mars?

We are often told that to keep society going we need to grow the population, the kids we have today will pay for our social services when we grow old and retire. Things such as hospitals, pensions etc.

We used to award child benefit to help cover the cost of child raising however today the money given back to parents through child benefits hardly touch the surface of the true cost of children`s upbringing.

According to the Irish Interdependent in 2009 a report claimed that the average cost of raising a child was around €120,000
    He estimated in 2002 that it cost an average of €120,000 to raise a child from birth to age 18, and that didn't include the costs of going to college.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/raising-children-can-be-extremely-expensive-26514758.html

Child benefit stands at €130 which over 18 years equal to around €28,000 far short of the €120,000 figure quoted.

Is it fair that parents should take such a huge hit and only share the same benefits and entitlements as those who choose not to have children at retirement?

In fact those who choose not to have children can enjoy a much more selfish lifestyle and go onto earn considerable more than a household trying to raise a child and yet when it comes to retirement they still enjoy the same rights and privileges.

So should we tax those who choose not to have kids more than what they currently pay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

They should be forced to mate with eachother while I watch. If they refuse, I shall mate with the female half of the couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

They already pay for child benefit, schools etc and if they are able to focus on their careers then they pay even more tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

So should we tax those who choose not to have kids more than what they currently pay?

We do as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

The population is set to rise in the coming years to a point where it will no longer be sustainable. I, personally, don't think we should be encouraging people to have more children....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Should people who don't drink pay more tax than functioning alcoholics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Some people should really think before they ask a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This thread will not end well. That is all.

This thread will not end well. That is all.

It ends how it began.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Some people should really think before thy ask a question.

Should people who ask questions be taxed more than those who just do as they're told?

They already pay for child benefit, schools etc and if they are able to focus on their careers then they pay even more tax.

Everybody pays for that if they are working, the point I am raising is that when it comes to retirement those who choose not to have kids enjoy the same rights and privileges as those who did have kids, yet those with kids paid far more to have them despite the kids of the future paying for everything in their taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Seriously why the **** make threads like this?
    You already know deep down its a stupid idea which makes no sense.

All its going to do is bring up all the same crap that usually comes out about who's bringing the country down and who's playing for what/who.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Eh.... No. Like WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We are often told that to keep society going we need to grow the population, the kids we have today will pay for our social services when we grow old and retire. Things such as hospitals, pensions etc.

We used to award child benefit to help cover the cost of child raising however today the money given back to parents through child benefits hardly touch the surface of the true cost of children`s upbringing.

According to the Irish Interdependent in 2009 a report claimed that the average cost of raising a child was around €120,000

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/raising-children-can-be-extremely-expensive-26514758.html

Child benefit stands at €130 which over 18 years equal to around €28,000 far short of the €120,000 figure quoted.

Is it fair that parents should take such a huge hit and only share the same benefits and entitlements as those who choose not to have children at retirement?

In fact those who choose not to have children can enjoy a much more selfish lifestyle and go onto earn considerable more than a household trying to raise a child and yet when it comes to retirement they still enjoy the same rights and privileges.

Haven't quite though this through, have you?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Should people who don't drink pay more tax than functioning alcoholics?

Or should those who drink pay an extra few cent where that goes to the HSE for Alcohol related illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

What happens to couples who want, but can't have children?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Everybody pays for that if they are working, the point I am raising is that when it comes to retirement those who choose not to have kids enjoy the same rights and privileges as those who did have kids, yet those with kids paid far more to have them despite the kids of the future paying for everything in their taxes.

This gave me a headache.

Does it actually make any sense? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Plenty of couples with children and on social welfare.
    Are they not a bigger drain on the economy, especially where intergenerational welfare dependency is the norm for some?

What about childless people who have already taken private provisions for healthcare/housing/pensions?

We can always import labour from EU and beyond in the future should we have a shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

TheZohan wrote: »

Well after the spectacular failure of their "Gardai won't let imaginary sick children go to hospital thread'....you have to take another nonsensical tack I suppose.

Why?

I have highlighted that overall those with kids are providing far more to society than those without kids on average.

Everyone pays for it and only those with children get it. The people without children are still helping to fund others to have children as it is.

Children cost money, this is well known. If you have a problem with the cost of children then dont have any.

• Advertisement

Plenty of couples with children and on social welfare.
    Are they not a bigger drain on the economy, especially where intergenerational welfare dependency is the norm for some?

What about childless people who have already taken private provisions for healthcare/housing/pensions?

We can always import labour from EU and beyond in the future should we have a shortage.

Certainly when you consider those who have kids who just go onto the dole themselves you have a point, however there are those who have childcare and they go onto become net benefactors to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why?

I have highlighted that overall those with kids are providing far more to society than those without kids on average.

Do you pay tax? Because according to your posts both you and your wife are on the dole and claiming welfare for your kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 GreenwayM

Definitely not . . . I am not married / in a relationship but, if I was, I don't think I would be having kids

Why should I pay for other families to "breed like rabbits" . . . Yielding uncontrolled / unschooled kids . . .

We are the sensible / disciplined ones!

Should people who annoy everyone by posting moronic garda-baiting videos online be taxed more than people who have a bit of cop-on?

Everyone pays for it and only those with children get it. The people without children are still helping to fund others to have children as it is.

Children cost money, this is well known. If you have a problem with the cost of children then dont have any.

But if we had a society that didn't have enough children we would collapse, you can import immigration to an extent but without childcare you just gain a bigger more aging population with huge social costs.

GreenwayM wrote: »
    Why should I pay for other families to "breed like rabbits" . . . Yielding uncontrolled / unschooled kids . . .

I'm pretty sure disciplined children cost as much IF NOT MORE than unruly children.

All those elocution lessons!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Must be a quite on a certain "says no" facebook page

GreenwayM wrote: »
    Definitely not . . . I am not married / in a relationship but, if I was, I don't think I would be having kids

We are the sensible / disciplined ones!

When you retire the children you have will go on to pay taxes which in turn will support your retirement.

Who is supporting those who didn't have children?

But if we had a society that didn't have enough children we would collapse, you can import immigration to an extent but without childcare you just gain a bigger more aging population with huge social costs.

When people are avoiding having children then we can consider more incentives. We currently do not have that problem so why would we want people to pay more for other peoples children?

• Advertisement

Do you pay tax? Because according to your posts both you and your wife are on the dole and claiming welfare for your kids.

Yes I pay tax, what post are you referring to where I said I was on the dole?

Advertisement