Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Memberships

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭grip n rip

This is getting very repetitive now lads , the distance membership isn't going anywhere so will have to be accepted . If full members dislike it so much then i suggest you all bring it up at committee level with your clubs and try get it stopped .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First Up wrote: »
    The "commercial" rate for playing those courses is the full green fee, not the subsidised "open" fee.
    I am happy to see nomadic golfers play anywhere they want, as long as they pay for it.

Agree to a certain extent, but Greebo is taking about open rates.

I would say commercial rate is changing, offer sites such as golfnow, teetimes etc are growing and I think you could put an argument forward that these discounted rates are the new standard commercial rate for clubs.
    That's just from personal experience, the majority of my golfing mates will feel "robbed" paying the rack rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

PARlance wrote: »
    Agree to a certain extent, but Greebo is taking about open rates.

I would say commercial rate is changing, offer sites such as golfnow, teetimes etc are growing and I think you could put an argument forward that these discounted rates are the new standard commercial rate for clubs.
    That's just from personal experience, the majority of my golfing mates will feel "robbed" paying the rack rate.

I'm using open rates to show that they cant sustain golf clubs.

If more and more people move to the open mentality, golf courses will close OR open rates will increase to match green fee rates, if not beyond them.

Sure you will still get deals, but I wouldnt expect to be still getting out for 20 quid on a saturday afternoon in a local club, in a populated area.

grip n rip wrote: »
    This is getting very repetitive now lads , the distance membership isn't going anywhere so will have to be accepted . If full members dislike it so much then i suggest you all bring it up at committee level with your clubs and try get it stopped .

Please dont backseat mod threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Watch this space.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm using open rates to show that they cant sustain golf clubs.

If more and more people move to the open mentality, golf courses will close OR open rates will increase to match green fee rates, if not beyond them.

Sure you will still get deals, but I wouldnt expect to be still getting out for 20 quid on a saturday afternoon in a local club, in a populated area.

Ok.. You've lost me, I can't argue that people will get out in Portmarnock for 20 quid on a Saturday afternoon but then again, but I can't see anyone calling for that.

If everyone stopped playing opens, Golf clubs would close and by your very own figures, everyone would have to pay an annual sub of over €5,500.

Anyway, time to exit the thread for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Its not a rule, its what they were invested for, to allow other visiting or local golfers to play local courses without having to pay a greenfee.

I'm sure it does suit lots of people, its just not great for golf clubs.

Me parking on double yellow lines suits me when I want to run into the shop for 5 mins, it doesnt suit the rest of the traffic that gets stuck trying to pass my car.

bad-analogies.jpg?w=645

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Well if you were paying the full sub you might feel differently.

Opens are supposed to be for other local members to play your course, not nomadic distance members.
    Opens are for anyone with a GUI handicap, i will say it again Distance members are an important source of income for a lot of established clubs. i have never heard of an open competition for other local members. it could be argued that the huge amount of opens on the GUI provincial websites are actually encouraging distance memberships. Cracking debate by the way.

PARlance wrote: »
    Ok.. You've lost me, I can't argue that people will get out in Portmarnock for 20 quid on a Saturday afternoon but then again, but I can't see anyone calling for that.

If everyone stopped playing opens, Golf clubs would close and by your very own figures, everyone would have to pay an annual sub of over €5,500.

Anyway, time to exit the thread for me.
    Only if every club wants to spend 1.5m on running the club.
    Milkers wrote: »
    bad-analogies.jpg?w=645

It's a simple analogy about suiting yourself and to he'll with the bigger picture.
    Opens are for anyone with a GUI handicap, i will say it again Distance members are an important source of income for a lot of established clubs. i have never heard of an open competition for other local members. it could be argued that the huge amount of opens on the GUI provincial websites are actually encouraging distance memberships. Cracking debate by the way.
    It could equally be argued that the gui want to bring it back by stipulating 3 rounds in your home club. Maybe they think distance membership is not in the best interests of the game in Ireland.

Please dont backseat mod threads.

Ok , havent a clue what this means

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Watch this space.

Dont be silly , distant or reduced membership is going nowhere for the foreseeable future no matter how much you may despise it . As i said bring it up at your clubs committee if you despise it so much

Dont be silly , distant or reduced membership is going nowhere for the foreseeable future no matter how much you may despise it . As i said bring it up at your clubs committee if you despise it so much

As I say, watch this space.

You don't think the gui 3 card change is going to have any impact then?

And I'm not sure why we would bring it to our committee, our clubs aren't distance member clubs?

Ok , havent a clue what this means

It means read the charter and let the mods moderate. If you have further questions take them to pm please.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭paulos53

I think the only impact will be an exceptionally busy timesheet in Slievenamon for the month of April.

paulos53 wrote: »
    I think the only impact will be an exceptionally busy timesheet in Slievenamon for the month of April.

Including a few "mystery shoppers" as I understand.

Eoinyh wrote: »
    It means I'm right ur wrong don't dare talk back to me, back with a bang another thread ruined

Yip, for me it's going to be a more flexible model and we'll see just have to wait and see what happens when ze zeagulls follow ze trawler.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Can we please get back on topic.

And I'm not sure why we would bring it to our committee, our clubs aren't distance member clubs?

Why would it ? And i didn't suggest "your clubs" are distance membership clubs , if you took the trouble to read the post correctly i said if you do not like people who have cheaper or "distance" memberships playing "your clubs" open days the join the committee and get it stopped . (You won't btw)

Why would it ? And i didn't suggest "your clubs" are distance membership clubs , if you took the trouble to read the post correctly i said if you do not like people who have cheaper or "distance" memberships playing "your clubs" open days the join the committee and get it stopped . (You won't btw)

The issue is not with the people playing in opens at all, in fact thats welcomed, the issue is with clubs taking the piss by using large numbers of distance members as a means to supplement their income when their distance "members" never darken their door.

• Advertisement

The issue is not with the people playing in opens at all, in fact thats welcomed, the issue is with clubs taking the piss by using large numbers of distance members as a means to supplement their income when their distance "members" never darken their door.

You seem to have a serious thing against the free market , if you like to join a club with full membership then go right ahead , certainly none of us lowly distance members would chastise you for that but that also should be where your right to constantly criticise ends . Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its wrong.

As regards to people not traveling to their home clubs i wouldn't agree with that point at all , distance members are just that for many personal reasons but high up there for most is the aversion to playing the same course over n over.

You seem to have a serious thing against the free market , if you like to join a club with full membership then go right ahead , certainly none of us lowly distance members would chastise you for that but that also should be where your right to constantly criticise ends . Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its wrong.

As regards to people not traveling to their home clubs i wouldn't agree with that point at all , distance members are just that for many personal reasons but high up there for most is the aversion to playing the same course over n over.

Which is why the issue is, again, not with distance members.

The issue is with clubs who are selling cheap distance GUI handicaps without any impact to the course other than free money.
    If a couple of Dublin clubs did that then a large percentage of regional clubs would close very quickly. Would you still be happy with your "free market" approach then?
    Why do you think the GUI are bringing in the 3 cards in your home course rule?

Anyway, if it truly was a free market then the GUI wouldnt be involved, hard to have a free market with a governing body really.

Which is why the issue is, again, not with distance members.

The issue is with clubs who are selling cheap distance GUI handicaps without any impact to the course other than free money.
    If a couple of Dublin clubs did that then a large percentage of regional clubs would close very quickly. Would you still be happy with your "free market" approach then?
    Why do you think the GUI are bringing in the 3 cards in your home course rule?

Anyway, if it truly was a free market then the GUI wouldnt be involved, hard to have a free market with a governing body really.

Isn't every western country a free market with a governing Body ?
    Also i have no problem with dublin clubs offering whatever they want as im a firm believer in the right of each person and club to choose whats right for them.

The 3 cards thing will have to be around for a year or two before it can be deemed a qualifies success or failure.

Isn't every western country a free market with a governing Body ?
    Also i have no problem with dublin clubs offering whatever they want as im a firm believer in the right of each person and club to choose whats right for them.

The 3 cards thing will have to be around for a year or two before it can be deemed a qualifies success or failure.

A governing versus the governing body for the market in question.

Talk to the farmers about free markets for another view.

You are avoiding the question, why do you think the GUI brought in the rule if "leave it to the market" is working out so well?

A governing versus the governing body for the market in question.

Talk to the farmers about free markets for another view.

You are avoiding the question, why do you think the GUI brought in the rule if "leave it to the market" is working out so well?

No you are once again changing your point . the gui 3 card rule was brought in im sure to curb the income of clubs outside the pale offering more value for money - there is no doubt about that point. I will reserve judgement on it until i see it implemented and observe the results.

Now farming is a kinda whole different topic really , probably has its own posts somewhere.

No you are once again changing your point . the gui 3 card rule was brought in im sure to curb the income of clubs outside the pale offering more value for money - there is no doubt about that point. I will reserve judgement on it until i see it implemented and observe the results.

Changing my point?
    I directly asked you the question a day ago (post #254) but didnt get an answer.

As for your thoughts on why they are bringing it in...
    How is it value for money if people are not even playing on those courses?
    They are buying a GUI handicap, if you dont like the farming analogy try taxi plates.

I'm not sure you are understanding the argument, so I'll leave it there.

Changing my point?
    I directly asked you the question a day ago (post #254) but didnt get an answer.

As for your thoughts on why they are bringing it in...
    How is it value for money if people are not even playing on those courses?
    They are buying a GUI handicap, if you dont like the farming analogy try taxi plates.

I'm not sure you are understanding the argument, so I'll leave it there.

Im afraid you are failing badly to make your point . Maybe stay away from farms and taxis and speak directly about what it is you are trying to articulate ?

if somebody spends their own money for any kind of membership then it is up to them alone how they use it , you can huff & puff all you want about it not being good , or look down your nose at it but its none of your business at the end of the day. If its possible and legal then its not wrong just because you dont like it.

As for analogies i have a €1000 bike in my shed , i never use it. Maybe i need to take it out 3 times a year now , maybe not but as i paid for it the choice is and will always be mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Im afraid you are failing badly to make your point . Maybe stay away from farms and taxis and speak directly about what it is you are trying to articulate ?

if somebody spends their own money for any kind of membership then it is up to them alone how they use it , you can huff & puff all you want about it not being good , or look down your nose at it but its none of your business at the end of the day. If its possible and legal then its not wrong just because you dont like it.

As for analogies i have a €1000 bike in my shed , i never use it. Maybe i need to take it out 3 times a year now , maybe not but as i paid for it the choice is and will always be mine.
    BOOM, game, set and Match.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

BOOM, game, set and Match.

G'sus, farming ~ taxis ~ cycling and now tennis !! I'm confused :confused: which way is the golf forum ???

• Advertisement

G'sus, farming ~ taxis ~ cycling and now tennis !! I'm confused :confused: which way is the golf forum ???

Its just not cricket ðŸ˜႒

Advertisement