Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6, good or bad?

Options
  • 23-10-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

Looking at 2007 either petrol or Diesel. A few threads suggest the diesel is bad and steer clear and petrol heads say the petrol 1.8 is average and better performance out there.

My other alternatives are Honda Accord petrol, but I cant find a good one within my budget of 5-6k

VW Passat looks very good and should hold value better although I more want an enjoyable drive.

diesel will give better economy obviously, but more expensive to buy

I do about 15k a year, mainly backroads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I have a 2007 mazda 6 1.8 petrol since almost new. Stay away from mazda 6 diesel. The petrol is ok I get anything from 36-44 mpg from it but it uses a lot of engine oil. The oil comes up into the cylinders and it seems to be using more as time goes on 200 thousand k's on it now other than that no trouble as long as you keep topping the engine oil and service it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lfbmick

Looking at 2007 either petrol or Diesel. A few threads suggest the diesel is bad and steer clear and petrol heads say the petrol 1.8 is average and better performance out there.

My other alternatives are Honda Accord petrol, but I cant find a good one within my budget of 5-6k

VW Passat looks very good and should hold value better although I more want an enjoyable drive.

diesel will give better economy obviously, but more expensive to buy

I do about 15k a year, mainly backroads

Hi,I'm in the same boat.
    Had mazda 6 2005 1.8 petrol,got endless problems,rattling timing chain,consuming oil and lamda sensor died as well.In the end one piston failed completely.

Now I'm in the market for honda accord.Was looking at subaru legacy as well ,but insurance would not insure me.Was looking at mazda 6 2008 1.8 petrols,but bit afraid,due to previous mazda 6 that I owned issues.

There is nice honda accod petrol for 6 k on done deal but to far for me,I think its in county Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

News is not so good:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/6-2002/?section=good

Same diesel problems also affected 2008-2012 version of the car. What Car website also talks about clutch problems affecting petrol and diesel versions of the car.

Overall, the petrol version is probably a reasonably good buy but it does seem that the diesel versions are a no-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

I would steer well clear of them well unless you get it for peanuts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I would steer well clear of them well unless you get it for peanuts

really? which one, petrol or diesel? cos the petrol has a good rep apart from heavy on oil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

really? which one, petrol or diesel? cos the petrol has a good rep apart from heavy on oil

Is that not a contradiction? How can a car be good if it's heavy on oil?

Well, I just got that from this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90898316

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What about a 1.8 Avensis like this:

media?xwm=y&id=16014138&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Avensis/Toyota-Avensis/201440227372186/

Not going to set the world on fire but its' reliable, decent on fuel and the LUNA spec gets decent equipment.

bazz26 wrote: »

Not going to set the world on fire but its' reliable, decent on fuel and the LUNA spec gets decent equipment.

thanks but just out of budget which is now down to 5k
    Just feel I want a better looking motor

actually thats a really nice motor, just too much

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might be worth talking to the seller anyway, the 1.6 litre is easier to sell than the 1.8 so there might be some movement on the price. It looks a fairly fresh car for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Do NOT buy a Toyota vvti engine, they are an absolute disaster.

"Japanese giant Toyota’s reputation for rock-solid reliability has taken a knock, as owners have been reporting problems with its hi-tech VVT-i petrol and Lexus diesel powerplants.

The 1.8-litre VVT-i engine is found in models across the line-up, but can suffer from excessive oil burning from as few as 50,000-60,000 miles, according to main dealers. The problem is being blamed on the piston ring design, and Toyota says that any unit consuming more than one litre of oil every 1,000 miles will be looked at and, full service history permitting, rectified.

Read more: autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/30438/toyota-engine-woes#ixzz3H3yP3CWk"

I don't know how this company gets away with calling itself "the best built cars in the world" after all the disasters of the past 15 years?

IMO the best Japanese engines are Honda, if it's Jap car you're set on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

"Japanese giant Toyota’s reputation for rock-solid reliability has taken a knock, as owners have been reporting problems with its hi-tech VVT-i petrol and Lexus diesel powerplants.

The 1.8-litre VVT-i engine is found in models across the line-up, but can suffer from excessive oil burning from as few as 50,000-60,000 miles, according to main dealers. The problem is being blamed on the piston ring design, and Toyota says that any unit consuming more than one litre of oil every 1,000 miles will be looked at and, full service history permitting, rectified.

I don't know how this company gets away with calling itself "the best built cars in the world" after all the disasters of the past 15 years?

That problem with the vvti was in the early avensis up to mid 05 as far as i know.It did not appear in every engine as i have one myself and it wont use any oil in 10000ks .Those later models like the one above should be fine.A buyer could always get the emmisions tested before purchase.

Are you really asking what's wrong with a car that burns oil!!

all cars burn oil ;) No Im not asking that. It just seems to be accepted if you read a few past threads

all cars burn oil ;) No Im not asking that. It just seems to be accepted if you read a few past threads
    Mine never budges between services if it does burn any it's a tiny amount not noticeable on the stick.iv had quiet a few vehicles and they were the same.

Just because they all burn oil it doesn't make it acceptable it will only lead to huge costs down the line.

Mine never budges between services if it does burn any it's a tiny amount not noticeable on the stick.iv had quiet a few vehicles and they were the same.

Just because they all burn oil it doesn't make it acceptable it will only lead to huge costs down the line.

so you have a mazda 6 petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Nothing wrong with the 1.8 vvti in the avensis, it's as reliable as any engine, even a Honda engine :eek: :p early vvti's in the mk1 avensis burned a bit of oil but most were recalled and the short block replaced, even these weren't unreliable though, they just drank a bit of oil.

The avensis is probably the best all rounder of all three cars but the Accord is the nicest imo.

Your post is way Ott tbh

bazz26 wrote: »

I'm actually quite tempted by this and rang him. Still for sale , will do something on the price. He's not a dealer but bought it to sell on :D

I need to drive one and also a Mazda 6, accord and passat to really see I guess. Would prefer a diesel for economy but for the price some great petrol ones out there

No I was referring to my car doesn't burn oil
    Or others iv had in reply tovyou. Saying all cars burn oil.

• Advertisement

No I was referring to my car doesn't burn oil
    Or others iv had in reply tovyou. Saying all cars burn oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the 1.8 vvti in the avensis, it's as reliable as any engine, even a Honda engine :eek: :p early vvti's in the mk1 avensis burned a bit of oil but most were recalled and the short block replaced, even these weren't unreliable though, they just drank a bit of oil.

The avensis is probably the best all rounder of all three cars but the Accord is the nicest imo.

Your post is way Ott tbh

Had a 3.0 litre vvti engine in a Lexus IS and it was bulletproof although mpg was not beyond criticism.

However, Toyota's diesel engines are not beyond criticism - emissions, mpg, and reliability have been weak points. As part of it strategic partnership with BMW, Toyota is now selling many of its European models with BMW diesel engines:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/verso/85839/toyota-plans-bmw-engine-family

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lfbmick

If you decide to go for mazda 6 1.8 petrol , do the emission test and also check for rusted rear arches.My one failed nct on emision and was smoking a lot due to burned oil.

The oil isn't a big problem if you keep it topped up apart from the oil it is a reliable car. I'v 200k on mine and it's still going strong :) However I've mine since almost new but I would be very skeptical of buying one secondhand because if the owner left the oil run low too many times you could have big engine trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Do NOT buy a Toyota vvti engine, they

actualy I think mitsubishi is top for reliability, honda is great but more complicated.im really suprised by the fact that toyota's vvti engine suffering any serious problems,

faral wrote: »
    actualy I think mitsubishi is top for reliability, honda is great but more complicated.im really suprised by the fact that toyota's vvti engine suffering any serious problems,
    In my experience Mitsubishi is no where near Honda or Toyota. What serious problems does the vvti suffer from?

Well, Ive decided my chariot of choice will be a Mazda 6. Drove all 3 main choices and loved the Mazda. Not going to set the world alight but its a nice looking comfortable family car.
    Drove a very clean 1.8 Petrol, 2006, 80,000 miles. NCT to Jan 2016 (Test was done in June this year. Nice alloys. Aircon, cruise control, stamped service book, manual
    Only 5 gears though. Was on for €4k, and the bloke immediately said he'd knock 500 off it. So could get a couple hundred more of it.
    Really tempted.
    Looking at donedeal, there's 2007 ones with similar mileage but is it worth 500-1000 more?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-25-07-2016/7643762
    even a diesel one for 3600
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6/7716541

so to 2006 or 2007, petrol or diesel????

Well, Ive decided my chariot of choice will be a Mazda 6. Drove all 3 main choices and loved the Mazda. Not going to set the world alight but its a nice looking comfortable family car.
    Drove a very clean 1.8 Petrol, 2006, 80,000 miles. NCT to Jan 2016 (Test was done in June this year. Nice alloys. Aircon, cruise control, stamped service book, manual
    Only 5 gears though. Was on for €4k, and the bloke immediately said he'd knock 500 off it. So could get a couple hundred more of it.
    Really tempted.
    Looking at donedeal, there's 2007 ones with similar mileage but is it worth 500-1000 more?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nct-25-07-2016/7643762
    even a diesel one for 3600
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-6/7716541

so to 2006 or 2007, petrol or diesel????
    Stick with petrol as the diesel will give trouble. I saw a 06 mazda 6 1.8 during the summer on donedeal looked spotless in the ad and low mileage advertised for €2k gone that evening. €4k sounds a bit steep even more so if it's a private sale. I would be offering him under €3k.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Stick with petrol as the diesel will give trouble. I saw a 06 mazda 6 1.8 during the summer on donedeal looked spotless in the ad and low mileage advertised for €2k gone that evening. €4k sounds a bit steep even more so if it's a private sale. I would be offering him under €3k.

Yep, going for petrol, I think around 3k is normal
    Just missed this one
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/car/7819864

• Advertisement

If going for a Mazda 6 check the underbody well as they are prone to rust under there.

Advertisement