Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6 or Opel Insignia

Options
  • 18-06-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm going to buy a second hand Mazda 6 or Opel Insignia, probably 2010 or '11, with about 80-90k miles on the clock, for which most seem to be priced between 10-13 grand. But I cannot decide between the Mazda6 (2.2 Diesel) and the Insignia (2.0 Diesel). Both seem decent cars. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Mazda. Any recommendations? Also, from reading reviews of some second hand dealers of these models in Dublin, some of reviews are just shocking! Any used car dealers for these models that you could recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Unless the Mazda has a full, verifiable service history done before the recommended intervals I would be slow to buy one. Early and often oil changes are particularly essential on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

dedaw wrote: »
    Mondeo?

I've driven Insignia's and driven them hard for that matter and I can't say anything bad about them. Reasonable on fuel and handling well. Bootspace and back seat could be roomier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I'd go for the Insignia, isn't tbere a new shape mazda? At least the opel will give you a few years before it looks outdated.
    If you do go for an opel there's always a raft of them going thru the auctions so make sure to get fsh etc else you might end up with a lemon

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

steveone wrote: »
    I'd go for the Insignia, isn't tbere a new shape mazda? At least the opel will give you a few years before it looks outdated.
    If you do go for an opel there's always a raft of them going thru the auctions so make sure to get fsh etc else you might end up with a lemon

Insignia has been around for 5 years and got a facelift last year, imo beginning to feel a bit dated too at this stage.

I'd be very reluctant to buy a Mazda 6 diesel though, their track record with in house diesel engines is not great. Lots of expensive problems reported with the old 2.0d and to a lesser extend the 2.2d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gambler12

Thanks for the replies, I was of the opinion that although the Insignia is a nicer looking car, that the Mazda would be more reliable. I guess I was wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

gambler12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I was of the opinion that although the Insignia is a nicer looking car, that the Mazda would be more reliable. I guess I was wrong....

Mazdas are only reliable with petrol engines. In fact, I doubt there is anything more reliable out there than a petrol engined one, plus they're nice cars to drive too being (in some cases) based on Fords.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gambler12

I'm going to go with a diesel engine car. Didn't know there was such a difference in reliability with Mazdas between diesel and petrol. Do you think diesel Insignias are a safe bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Insignias are not without their problems especially early models.

You should consider a Mondeo also.

Advertisement