Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hour Record Attempt upcoming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Zyzz wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but are riders only allowed a limited number of attempts? Or can they do it as many times as they want?

I'm sure they can make as many attempts as they want, but realistically it depends on whether the sponsor is willing to pay for the whole event more than once. Presume the UCI officials need to have their expenses paid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I'm sure they can make as many attempts as they want, but realistically it depends on whether the sponsor is willing to pay for the whole event more than once. Presume the UCI officials need to have their expenses paid too.

:)

Right lads hour record next week, looking for sponsors! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Beasty wrote: »
    I would classify Bobridge as one of the biggest guns out there particularly given his pursuit world record. I suspect he'll be back to take the hour record at some stage. I just think to do it properly given where the record currently sits requires a lot more dedicated preparation

yeah he has the talent to do 52km+ just got his pacing a little wrong, hes the australian holder now which is a small consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Zyzz wrote: »
    :)

Right lads hour record next week, looking for sponsors! :p

I'll send on a bottle of Lucozade if you PM me you address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Any wattage files been published from the latest attempt? I believe Jens was 412w first time up!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,447 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any wattage files been published from the latest attempt? I believe Jens was 412w first time up!
    That 412w appears remarkably low when compared with what the Bike Calculator estimates which is something around 470w

Maybe he was simply incredibly aero, or perhaps the equipment was much more efficient than is assumed by the Bike Calculator

Anyway if it was 412w, that's around what I could put out over a 2k pursuit a couple of years ago - maybe I need to invest in a Trek, as I went quite a bit slower over 2km than than Jens did over 51.115km.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That 412w appears remarkably low when compared with what the Bike Calculator estimates which is something around 470w

Maybe he was simply incredibly aero, or perhaps the equipment was much more efficient than is assumed by the Bike Calculator

Anyway if it was 412w, that's around what I could put out over a 2k pursuit a couple of years ago - maybe I need to invest in a Trek, as I went quite a bit slower over 2km than than Jens did over 51.115km.....
    A quick bit of stalking and Gimp measuring of these pics...

Beasty
    http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/BeastyofNCD/velo2_edited-2.jpg?t=1281813637

Jens
    http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20140919/cycle19e.jpg

...reveals that the ratios of your chin-tyre/tyre-ground distances are different.

I have Jens at 60% of wheel diameter and you at 70%.

That's about 7cm, which is a lot.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,447 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I presume Rohan Dennis is still having a go next Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I haven't read anything online to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

His chariot

csm_OliverBurgess-_BMC-HOUR-Day1-05-06-15__1_of_45__1311d1cd23-630x441.jpg

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/rohan-dennis-hour-record-bike-156406

• Advertisement

Live stream on the UCI Youtube channel from 1pm on Sunday. Here's the teaser

I've been tempted by that TR01 as a new pursuit bike for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I've been tempted by that TR01 as a new pursuit bike for a while...

I have a TR02, and it's solid, really nice to ride.

Have only ever done a few laps on a TR02, but it is equally solid, and a joy to ride. Comes with custom matte black 3T Scattos as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Dennis is about 12 minutes in and marginally ahead of Brandle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1czalpk4j7E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

The beside the screen chat between everyone in the world is so distracting but the full screen quality is so bad that there's no other option!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    The beside the screen chat between everyone in the world is so distracting but the full screen quality is so bad that there's no other option!

You can hide the chat. 1080 HD worked perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

New record: 52.491 km.

Raam wrote: »
    You can hide the chat. 1080 HD worked perfect for me.

Yea, I eventually saw that with 10 mins left!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Customary graphs of his pacing courtesy of Xavier Disley
    B9VACdaIQAE9zCo.png
    and
    B9U-3CEIcAAoD7x.png

Pacing far from perfect. I doubt the record has been put on the shelf yet.

Will be interesting to see the next attempt.

^ interesting graphic. Fabu and Brad will destroy it.

Thomas Dekker's Hour Record attempt will be on Eurosport tomorrow evening.

Not a pretty bike.

B-odLIeW8AAdvwd.jpg:large

• Advertisement

Thomas Dekker's Hour Record attempt will be on Eurosport tomorrow evening.

Not a pretty bike.

B-odLIeW8AAdvwd.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I've seen it in the flesh and it is a pretty bike and pretty sophisticated. There's a track end for the front wheel for positioning and stem was also adjustable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

why are those valve holes not covered with tape(or something), in the interests of aerodynamics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Because covering the whole gives no aerodynamic benefit. According to Zipp owner the hole isn't big enough to disrupt the air flow.

Dekker's attempt is underway. Looks to be going off quicker than most, but I haven't seen any comparison lap times.

His line through the corners is quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Can I watch it anywhere? Link?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dekker's attempt is underway. Looks to be going off quicker than most, but I haven't seen any comparison lap times.

His line through the corners is quite poor.

Ha just happened to switch on Eurosport 2. They said this too as someone commented about it.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ha just happened to switch on Eurosport 2. They said this too as someone commented about it.

Me :D First time I got a comment read out on the show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Fair play to the commentators commenting through this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dekker is currently 18 minutes into the attempt, and apparently is averaging 52.9kph. Hard to believe this is sustainable.

No distance being shown on-screen at all, we're just going on the chinese whispers Carlton Kirby is getting.

Advertisement